House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sossij

Military's 'sock Puppet' Software Creates Fake Online Identities

Revealed: US spy operation that manipulates social media

Exclusive: Military's 'sock puppet' software creates fake online identities to spread pro-American propaganda,

The US military is developing software that will let it secretly manipulate social media using fake online personas designed to influence internet conversations and spread pro-American propaganda.

A Californian corporation has been awarded a contract with the US Central Command (Centcom) to develop what is described as an "online persona management service" that will allow one serviceman or woman to control up to 10 separate identities at once.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks

It's just me and you're all a load of sock-puppets, innit?

Alex Jones, once again, will be having a field day.

Mind you, it doesn't take a genius to spot ten new American's on Facebook called "Dwayne" with hobbies including "Guns, people called Obama, and masturbation"

Lets play spot the tweet.

My guess is the first one will say "I love the USA", and the second will just say "USA, USA, USA, USA ..." or "get in the hole" either is the same.

Whereas the Chinese don't need clever software, they just have 1,000,000 people sitting in a big bunker slagging off the evil imperialists

Yeah - one of those has been assigned to this site....mentioning no names.

Judging by the number of EA sock puppets on here - you would think they had. ;)

That would mean EAs were capable of operating computers.

i'm a sock puppet and the usa can go **** themselves.

seriosuly though, 10 identities, i've got more than that :lol:

I see the FantasistBear 5000 has been offline recently - I noticed it acting randomly recently when it malfunctioned and bought a house.

Maybe it needed a core dump?

Didnt the israelis have a lower tech version which sent locations of discussions on the net where isreal was being discussed in a negative light to legions of volunteer "true believers" so they could sway the conversation and give the appearance of spontaneous support for the isreali state.

I think we got it here on HPC once during a discussion which involved isreal, a sudden glut of pro-isreali postings in the thread and one or two new users which hung on afterwards.

I think we got it here on HPC once during a discussion which involved isreal, a sudden glut of pro-isreali postings in the thread and one or two new users which hung on afterwards.

We've certainly had an influx of the UK military when they were being discussed. Like here, for instance.

Megaphone desktop tool

The Megaphone desktop tool is a Windows "action alert" tool developed by Give Israel Your United Support (GIYUS) and distributed by World Union of Jewish Students, World Jewish Congress, The Jewish Agency for Israel, World Zionist Organization, StandWithUs, Hasbara fellowships, HonestReporting, and other pro-Israel public relations organizations. The tool was released in July during the 2006 Lebanon War. An RSS newsfeed is available

The Megaphone Desktop Tool gives the user the option of going to a particular site with a poll, and if the user chooses to go to the site, the software then casts a vote automatically, when this is technically feasible. The vote is chosen by the distributors of Megaphone...

Obama.

Barry

Sotaro

Libya

Iran

Imadinnerjacket.

delete

Guest eight

Didnt the israelis have a lower tech version which sent locations of discussions on the net where isreal was being discussed in a negative light to legions of volunteer "true believers" so they could sway the conversation and give the appearance of spontaneous support for the isreali state.

There was definitely a thread about Common Purpose that had a naked attempt to hijack it right from the off. I remember that the poster Pole got threatened on it, and in Polish too. Properly freaky.

eight

That would mean EAs were capable of operating computers.

Internet is dead. We need to go back to shortwaves and Morse code.

CQ DX.

There was definitely a thread about Common Purpose that had a naked attempt to hijack it right from the off. I remember that the poster Pole got threatened on it, and in Polish too. Properly freaky.

eight

HA

any one remember the thread where Injin told a soldier he was a killer, and a whole regiment turned up and began their assault?