House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pezerinno

Running A Moped/scooter

Does anyone have any experience running a moped/scooter and the associated running costs? Minus fuel what sort of annual bills am I looking at? I've always fancied the vespa type ones :rolleyes: but wonder if they're practical. Do you need a drivers licence for a moped?

Does anyone have any experience running a moped/scooter and the associated running costs? Minus fuel what sort of annual bills am I looking at? I've always fancied the vespa type ones :rolleyes: but wonder if they're practical. Do you need a drivers licence for a moped?

You need a licence but you don't have to take a test,you can ride on L plates.I used to run a 50cc moped when I was 16,running costs are pretty negligable.A friend had a Lambretta and ran it on parafin,used to leave a huge smelly blue/grey smokescreen.

I used to have a Yamaha moped/scooter type and loved it and the running costs. The first thing I did was take the girly wire basket off the front and get a full face helmet so no one could recognise me!

Great freedom though and the knowledge that I could park it up practically anywhere.

I looked into buying a plastic pony (Honda C90) recently, road tax is £15, insurance was £80 iirc and they do around 120mpg.

I remember my moped days as fun but you can get pushed off the road by cars because you're holding them up - at least a fuller size bike can command the centre of the road. I've been running an old superbike recently and you certainly consider whether a journey is actually needed before kitting up & setting off (probably less so in summer)

Invest some money in bike gear, you WILL fall off at sometime and it WILL hurt. In my experience, you will get stopped less often (and even let off stuff) if you have correct gear and tread on your tyres :)

Buckers

In my day you didn't even have to wear a crash helmet.We used to race flat out at 30mph.After a few miles the engines would begin to tighten up and we would stop and pee over the fins to cool them down.

I just got myself sorted with a 125cc bike - a Honda CBF125. Total startup cost including proper gear and £270 of helmet is just over £2200, of which I expect to recoup almost 100% of the bike cost when I sell it on (to buy a bigger bike). Tax £15, insurance £170 (TPFT but with life + legal cover, and there are many cheaper, though apparently less good providers).

A tank gives me about 200 miles and costs £11. It's also a lot of fun.

Only two things stopping me getting one.

1. Other vehicles on the road who will not see you.

2. The number of people I know who have hit ice or even some wet road and slid off having a nasty spill.

I don't know a moped owner who has not come off.

I wish we had hundreds of thousands more on UK roads as the more of them we have the more accepted they would be - like Vietnam.

I wish we had hundreds of thousands more on UK roads as the more of them we have the more accepted they would be - like Vietnam.

Yes, what TPTB should have done instead of the scrappage scheme giving £2000 off of a new car in exchange for scrapping a 10 year old car was to have offered a brand new moped to anyone scrapping a 10 year old car.

Mopeds and scooters are two different things.

Mopeds are <30mph limited machines and are thus dangerous as you cannot keep up with traffic.

Scooters can be up to 650cc..

A typical Honda Innova 125cc scooter will do a real world 172mpg if you never exceed 50mph on it (it will hit 63mph).

Parts

Tyres are £30 each and will last 4000 miles.

Rear drum brake will last 25000 miles and costs £50 to replace.

Front disc brake will last 35000 miles and costs £150 to replace.

Front brake pads will last 5000 miles and cost £17 to replace.

Enclosed chain lasts 10000 miles and costs £50 to replace.

Sprockets will cost £15 to replace and last the life of the chain.

Road tax is £15 per year.

Mopeds and scooters are two different things.

Mopeds are <30mph limited machines and are thus dangerous as you cannot keep up with traffic.

Scooters can be up to 650cc..

A typical Honda Innova 125cc scooter will do a real world 172mpg if you never exceed 50mph on it (it will hit 63mph).

Parts

Tyres are £30 each and will last 4000 miles.

Rear drum brake will last 25000 miles and costs £50 to replace.

Front disc brake will last 35000 miles and costs £150 to replace.

Front brake pads will last 5000 miles and cost £17 to replace.

Enclosed chain lasts 10000 miles and costs £50 to replace.

Sprockets will cost £15 to replace and last the life of the chain.

Road tax is £15 per year.

Ken, is there one of the Chinese/Korean/Thai/whoever copies that is half the price and 90% of the quality of the Innova?

Ken, is there one of the Chinese/Korean/Thai/whoever copies that is half the price and 90% of the quality of the Innova?

Not really, buying a copy is a false economy...

Daelim (Korea) comes close though in terms of quality, but it is about 80% of the price of a Honda... I recommend the ANF125 (or the suzuki clone I forget the name of) because of the chain drive compared to belt (which costs ££££ to replace and wears out quickly), and the good MPG.

You can always buy the pre 2007 version of the ANF125. It is slightly inferior due to the carb fuel system which means it only gets 145mpg out the box, but you can remove the electric start from it to save weight and kickstart it.

SYM Scooters sell Sym Symphony 125cc for £1700 with 3 year warranty.

In my day you didn't even have to wear a crash helmet.We used to race flat out at 30mph.After a few miles the engines would begin to tighten up and we would stop and pee over the fins to cool them down.

Happy days.

My Yamaha Fizzy would do 48 with the baffles out and a decent tail-wind - used to blow the plug out of the head. Gave it 5 minutes to cool down, popped it back in and rode very gently home. I tied it in place for a while, but eventually saw sense and had the thread helicoiled.

Here's the gubbins... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

I thought you could only ride a bike on L plates for two years before having to do your test? I passed my full bike test before my driving test (in theory I can ride anything, even though I haven't ridden for 5 or 6 years)... One of the best things I ever did... I had an Kwacker AR50 derestricted... I could do 45ish with a tail wind...

Here's the gubbins... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022430

I thought you could only ride a bike on L plates for two years before having to do your test?

There is nothing stopping you from redoing your CBT again and again and again. I've known a bloke on his 3rd CBT and has never really botehred with the test.

I recommend the ANF125 (or the suzuki clone I forget the name of)

suzuki address.

You can always buy the pre 2007 version of the ANF125.

i've got one - don't use it much because my commute is 50 mile round trip on some roads where i would be mown down by some a-hole in an audi.

the innova is "almost a motorcycle" in that it has big wheels (better for stability) and footrests like a motorbike rather than running boards like a vespa.

an innova is only around 10bhp IIRC - great fun around town but a bit slow for the open road TBH IMO.

it'll come into it's own when petrol is rationed...

currently i run a CB400SF as a commuter hack (about 60 mpg) - thinking about getting a tiddler like a yamaha serow which can do a decent mpg.

my innova was made in thailand - most of the bits are stamped thus. i guess most small motorcycles are made in china but the mainstream manufacturers are shy in letting the public know this for obvious reasons.

an innova is only around 10bhp IIRC - great fun around town but a bit slow for the open road TBH IMO.

it'll come into it's own when petrol is rationed...

currently i run a CB400SF as a commuter hack (about 60 mpg) - thinking about getting a tiddler like a yamaha serow which can do a decent mpg.

Thanks for the name.... it was doing me head in...... I currently run a big CBR600 which isn't 600cc any more.... it can return 55mpg if kept below 5500rpm... however the devil sits on my shoulder and tells me to wind it up and I've gotten 19mpg out of it when trying hard.

I would also not over look the GPZ400/500 either or the XJ600s and the CB500

The GPZ500 gets 73mpg if you stay below 6000rpm, then the boost kicks in and it gulps petrol.

The XJ600 with the bikini fairing as well as the CB500 if kept at below 5000rpm do a good 70mpg as well....

but to keep these MPG levels you need to keep them in tip top shape! Losing compression burning oil costs MPG.

Thanks for the name.... it was doing me head in...... I currently run a big CBR600 which isn't 600cc any more.... it can return 55mpg if kept below 5500rpm... however the devil sits on my shoulder and tells me to wind it up and I've gotten 19mpg out of it when trying hard.

I would also not over look the GPZ400/500 either or the XJ600s and the CB500

The GPZ500 gets 73mpg if you stay below 6000rpm, then the boost kicks in and it gulps petrol.

The XJ600 with the bikini fairing as well as the CB500 if kept at below 5000rpm do a good 70mpg as well....

I am sure that running a moped or a scooter would be cheaper than this.

I am sure that running a moped or a scooter would be cheaper than this.

Not always, the problem is maintenance, small capacity bikes are not built for high mileage. Thus they require more maintenance per mile than bigger bikes. My old NT survived 156,000 miles only changing the oil and plugs. It never went above 5000rpm either.

A scooter would have gone through ten rebuilds to survive that kind of mileage. The smaller oil capacities and higher running RPM (need to pretty much redline a scooter to maintain 50mph) to maintain speed wears little engines out pretty quickly. As you may gather rebuilds are NOT cheap either. On 2 strokes it is cheap but the engines die even faster than 4 strokes.

Not always, the problem is maintenance, small capacity bikes are not built for high mileage. Thus they require more maintenance per mile than bigger bikes. My old NT survived 156,000 miles only changing the oil and plugs. It never went above 5000rpm either.

A scooter would have gone through ten rebuilds to survive that kind of mileage. The smaller oil capacities and higher running RPM (need to pretty much redline a scooter to maintain 50mph) to maintain speed wears little engines out pretty quickly. As you may gather rebuilds are NOT cheap either. On 2 strokes it is cheap but the engines die even faster than 4 strokes.

You do have a good point there Ken me old son!

Maybe I'll have a look at the BMW GS650g (or something) which is available for 4,600.

Thanks for the replies - certainly lots to think about. The main concern seems to be one of safety and whether I could manage just as well with a bicycle (not as fun though!).

Thanks for the replies - certainly lots to think about. The main concern seems to be one of safety and whether I could manage just as well with a bicycle (not as fun though!).

Motorbike safety is pretty simple.

Trust NO ONE!

If you want extra safety when you approach a junction wiggle the bars slightly, this causes slight movement of the headlamp which makes people notice it as cars don't generally do this.

Keep the headlamp on.

Wear a pink floresent jacket (yellow and orange are too common)

If you want to wear some flashing LEDs on the bike itself it is illegal, but on your body they are not.

Get a back protector, and wear armour.

Never ride in the gutter and defend your road position. I ride right at the line in the middle of the road.

When stopped watch your mirrors and pulse your brakes to make the rear light flash you'll get rear ended less.

Put a mirror on the back, seriously in winter it discourages people from sitting right up your bum.

A scooter would have gone through ten rebuilds to survive that kind of mileage.

Horses for courses, you wouldn't expect to clock up 156,000 miles on an urban scooter, and in a town or city a smaller and lighter bike is safer than a large and heavy one.

Horses for courses, you wouldn't expect to clock up 156,000 miles on an urban scooter, and in a town or city a smaller and lighter bike is safer than a large and heavy one.

Sure maybe not 156K but What about 5K? 5k is enough to require 2.5 oil changes, some sparks and if you run a 2 smoke a rebuild. Maybe even a new belt.

I would also say the opposite a big powerful bike is safer than a small bike. Bigger bikes are more stable and command more road presence than small bikes.

If you ride a motorbike you can also expect to be chased by irate drivers. If a car comes after you at 90mph+ you'll wish you had the power to escape him with excess power it is also much easier (and fun) to lead such idiots to front facing cameras. The one in Salford opposite the fire station is great for this.

Get a back protector, and wear armour.

I am taken back to a joke I read in a children's' Christmas annual I was bought around 1966, aged 7, when racism was slightly more acceptable than it is today.

Q. What do you call a Chinaman in a metal suit?

A. A Chink in his armour.