House Price Crash Forum

The Total Repayable Cost Of A Degree Laid Bare

PopGun

The trend is clearly towards an imposed Communism in all this, a 21st Century open Sovietism. Dreamt by Brown, enacted by Coalition.

Read between the lines-

Kinnock has shares in the Company which will bid for and win the contract to count AV votes

Lloyds goes hand-in-hand with Councils to offer taxpayer-backed debt to feckless Scots house buyers

Meantime the Gov ratches up your tax bill, 50% for top earners now, then medium and everybody when inflation hits. NI 10% student loan 9%, so 69%, significant that, eh?

Of the 31% left you'll pay perhaps half to banks and Councils to keep a roof over your head,

It's all enacted in the name of a democracy that is phony here

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked in the media business most of my working life and have never once met anyone in the industry with a Media Studies degree. Not one single person. And I never will because applications from Media Studies graduates are considered an industry joke. So if a Media Studies degree effectively bars you from ever landing a job in media what is the point?

:lol: So true!

I think the point may have already been made but expecting 17/18 year old kids to be able to make informed decisions about questions like this is a nonsense

I hear what you say, but we sanction those self same "kids" to vote, raise children, choose to smoke/drink or not, drive a 32 tonne lorry on public roads, and enlist in the military.

Compared to those, making an informed decision about buying an education on borrowed money shouldn't be asking too much.

First employers put the costs of their training onto the state, now they have arranged matters so that the costs of their training are to be paid by their employees.

Its a very deliberate process, the real pisser of it is that those who manage to wriggle through it and get to the other side will fight like ****** to keep it in place.

Too right.

However once you've paid your dues and all your debts off, you can console yourself with being on average £17,000 better off over your working life :lol:

Split over say 40 years, that's £425 a year better off then someone who didn't bother.

please enlighten...it would be a first.

Nope, feeding time is over, especially for those with over 35,000 posts.

Edit: nice try in derailing this thread into another public sector bashing thread. You seriously need to get out more.

Edited by PopGun

I hear what you say, but we sanction those self same "kids" to vote, raise children, choose to smoke/drink or not, drive a 32 tonne lorry on public roads, and enlist in the military.

Compared to those, making an informed decision about buying an education on borrowed money shouldn't be asking too much.

If their secondary education hadn't already been nobbled it wouldn't be. Some kids I know are capable of making the call. A lot aren't.

On top of that, degree inflation and relatively high youth unemployment mean that employers can and do require a degree as a minimum level of education for job applicants. Kids know that

For many, the choice is unemployment or studying for a toilet paper degree to get a toilet paper job. In those circumstances, the associated debt may seem to be relatively abstract and far off

If their secondary education hadn't already been nobbled it wouldn't be. Some kids I know are capable of making the call. A lot aren't.

On top of that, degree inflation and relatively high youth unemployment mean that employers can and do require a degree as a minimum level of education for job applicants. Kids know that

For many, the choice is unemployment or studying for a toilet paper degree to get a toilet paper job. In those circumstances, the associated debt may seem to be relatively abstract and far off

There's also parental/teacher pressure and expectation to carry on in education. I've lost count of how many TV program story lines were the smart kid suffers a patronising verbal scolding for "throwing their life away".

I absolutely get that. I might take issue with the statement that employer's require degrees, some do, but some don't. What's really worrying though is extending that logic means granting credit is a not unlike granting a license to carry a firearm. You just know someone's going to get hurt, but for the sake of political correctness, liberty, or simple political expediency it is granted just the same.

I find it interesting that the 'better' universities see fit to charge the top price. Probably a part of their 'positioning' as an elite organisation.

Is it really true that better education costs more? What are the cost structures of the palaces of learning?

staff and posh lunches I would wager...same as any other organisation

The trend is clearly towards an imposed Communism in all this, a 21st Century open Sovietism. Dreamt by Brown, enacted by Coalition.

Read between the lines-

Kinnock has shares in the Company which will bid for and win the contract to count AV votes

Lloyds goes hand-in-hand with Councils to offer taxpayer-backed debt to feckless Scots house buyers

Meantime the Gov ratches up your tax bill, 50% for top earners now, then medium and everybody when inflation hits. NI 10% student loan 9%, so 69%, significant that, eh?

Of the 31% left you'll pay perhaps half to banks and Councils to keep a roof over your head,

It's all enacted in the name of a democracy that is phony here

Or you could do your degree and then leave the country.

Isn't it the case already that you are more likely to be earning more if you had a good education and therefore people on 40% income tax are in effect paying back their education? I see this as another form of stealth tax, rather than use tax revenue (already exceptionally high for the pour level of services we get in return) invent a new tax. The tuition fee would be sorted by simply abolishing all the useless degrees on offer, this would naturally limit the number of students and solve the funding crisis defacto. This is another unintended consequence of political correctness, everybody need to be given the chance of "higher" education, universities get flooded and funding gets scarce...

Absolutely, but it isn't stealth tax. There's nothing stealthy about double taxation. It stinks to high heaven and will mean only the rich go to Uni leaving the poor down t mill.

Who would volunteer to be paying back around £300 per month when they are in their 30's and trying to raise a family and pay off an overinflated mortgage? I would suggest only the dim would do it. Sheer lunacy.

The Universties may well say 'research'. Young prospective student says - 'you mean it doesn't go on my education?'. University says "no - it is an investment in the kudos of attending this seat of learning - you don't need to do anything but pay the fee."

but what research is needed for a marketing degree...indeed, why do you need a degree in marketing?...except maybe to teach the subject...as knowledge isnt enough, you need the folded scroll and photos of graduation day.

Absolutely, but it isn't stealth tax. There's nothing stealthy about double taxation. It stinks to high heaven and will mean only the rich go to Uni leaving the poor down t mill.

Who would volunteer to be paying back around £300 per month when they are in their 30's and trying to raise a family and pay off an overinflated mortgage? I would suggest only the dim would do it. Sheer lunacy.

it never ceaes to amaze me, that people think anything they get doesnt need to be paid for.

160bn in deficit adding to the national debt, complete with compound interest and unknown future rollover costs, and people complain about double taxation.

FFS, if you have a wage and buy a loaf..you pay tax on the income, then you pay tax on the loaf.

Edited by Bloo Loo

This morning they stipulated that there are guidelines in place (don't know what) that will be able to enforce payment throughout the EU, so it'll have to be further afield than that.

My daughter was already told to pay hers in the South Of France, where she works seasonally...She doesnt earn enough but she had severall letters from the Student Loan Outfit demanding a renewal of her current situation...it appears they cant track her in France.

The penalty for not paying was going to be an attachment to earnings order.

it never ceaes to amaze me, that people think anything they get doesnt need to be paid for.

160bn in deficit adding to the national debt, complete with compound interest and unknown future rollover costs, and people complain about double taxation.

FFS, if you have a wage and buy a loaf..you pay tax on the income, then you pay tax on the loaf.

Youre talking rubbish. Normally I like your posts but that is just twaddle.

Is a loaf of bread taxed?

Besides the student/professional would also pay VAT on bread if it existed.

The argument is that degree graduates earn more so are in the higher tax bracket and pay much more tax.

Youre talking rubbish. Normally I like your posts but that is just twaddle.

Is a loaf of bread taxed?

Besides the student/professional would also pay VAT on bread if it existed.

The argument is that degree graduates earn more so are in the higher tax bracket and pay much more tax.

yes it is.

not VAT on the end product, but in the fuel to make it, the labour to make, the profit to sell it to you, the raw materials to make it.

I am attracted to the idea of those that make more money should contribute more, and indeed are more capable of paying back what they have gained, it seems only fair as others, who didnt partake, shouldnt have to pay for other persons study and subsequent fortune.

Saying that, the University system is further subsidised by taxpayers as well as the student fees...so we ALL pay towards this service.

It was ever thus...sharing the cost...i mean, Im sure I couldnt have access to all the council services I am entited to for my £245 a month...then again, thats no excuse for a council hiking up the charges and failing to look after the pennies so my bill could be halved.

I absolutely get that. I might take issue with the statement that employer's require degrees, some do, but some don't. What's really worrying though is extending that logic means granting credit is a not unlike granting a license to carry a firearm. You just know someone's going to get hurt, but for the sake of political correctness, liberty, or simple political expediency it is granted just the same.

Re. the employers asking for degrees I'm just quoting back what I've been told by several kids I know who are looking for jobs and thinking about whether to go for a degree. They're decent kids and they do not resemble the caricature of teenagers that is sometimes painted in this forum. They have a much tougher environment to face than I had when I had to make these decisions.

To be honest, if I were in their shoes, I'd be a lot angrier about the costs of education, housing and paying for systemic debts they did not accrue. I'd be wanting to turn anyone over 40 into soup

The licence to carry a firearm is a good analogy but, like I said, I detect malicious thievery in the system, underlying any expediency or correctness

Edited by Charlton Peston

yes it is.

not VAT on the end product, but in the fuel to make it, the labour to make, the profit to sell it to you, the raw materials to make it.

I am attracted to the idea of those that make more money should contribute more, and indeed are more capable of paying back what they have gained, it seems only fair as others, who didnt partake, shouldnt have to pay for other persons study and subsequent fortune.

Saying that, the University system is further subsidised by taxpayers as well as the student fees...so we ALL pay towards this service.

It was ever thus...sharing the cost...i mean, Im sure I couldnt have access to all the council services I am entited to for my £245 a month...then again, thats no excuse for a council hiking up the charges and failing to look after the pennies so my bill could be halved.

Fair opinion. And I agree that we all share the burden. I only get a 25% rebate for council tax though I live alone. I don't use half the services nor create as much rubish etc. But I guess there has to be a balance somewhere.

Fair opinion. And I agree that we all share the burden. I only get a 25% rebate for council tax though I live alone. I don't use half the services nor create as much rubish etc. But I guess there has to be a balance somewhere.

Apologies, on re-read of my first reply, I should have made it clearer that the reply was not directed at your comment in particular, but was a general appeal to all who suggest that government finance is like a series of pools all being dipped into for one cost or another.

They might like to give that impression, for example, car tax...for cars and road users benefits....clearly, that is not the case and that tax goes to pay for other things....clearly we dont pay enough, or IMPO we do, but waste is just ignored and infact, grown to the advantage of the wasters.