House Price Crash Forum
jonesinamillion

"high Interest" Instant Access Accounts

Struggled to find anything decent out there,... needs to be instant access with interest paid monthly and no withdraw penalties as a short term measure whilst i decide what to do with my spare cash.

So far I've gone with the santander esaver 3 @2.9% AER.

Anyone seen anything better?

Or for that matter, anywhere to put my cash to get a good, lower risk, inflation busting return in the short to medium term?

Edited by jonesinamillion

Struggled to find anything decent out there,... needs to be instant access with interest paid monthly and no withdraw penalties as a short term measure whilst i decide what to do with my spare cash.

So far I've gone with the santander esaver 3 @2.9% AER.

Anyone seen anything better?

Or for that matter, anywhere to put my cash to get a good, lower risk, inflation busting return in the short to medium term?

Last time I looked the Post Office had instant access also at 2.9% (PO not previously under government guarantee scheme but now are). I wouldn't touch Santander whatever their rates are. Dreadful dreadful customer service.

Last time I looked the Post Office had instant access also at 2.9% (PO not previously under government guarantee scheme but now are). I wouldn't touch Santander whatever their rates are. Dreadful dreadful customer service.

Thanks for your input, I've got a Sanander current account and never had a problem with them; I can manage the esaver online so shouldn' have a need to contact them (fingers crossed!).

I've just come to the end of a one year deal on my Santander current account which was paying 6% on balances up to £2500. (Actually I have 2 of these accounts as I opened one with Alliance & Leicester too before they merged their systems but that's another story). On Monday I visited my branch as the interest rate was about to plummet. Santander still has a 5% gross on balances up to £2500, 0.1% for amount over £2500 for 12 months current account which they call 'Zero'. It has a funding requirement of £1000 pcm and you must have held an investment product with Santander for 3 months to be eligible. What I did was to 'invest' £1 into their 'Santander Stockmarket Bond Issue 6'. In 3 months time my current accounts will be automatically upgraded to the Zero and I'll start getting my 5%. For the next 3 months I've drawn my balances down to minimum needed to meet the standing order funding requirements.

They were reluctant (to put it mildly) to let me open the Stockmarket Bond with £1, I pointed out that their Term Sheet says investment of £1 to £2m are permitted and besides, if I can't open one I close both my current accounts and they lose all my business. My account manager person went off to speak with the branch manager about this matter and they finally relented.

It may have been mentioned above but Santander have Base Rate plus 2.8% Cash ISA (no transfer in) which may be a simpler alternative.