House Price Crash Forum

New Laptop

feed

HOLA441

So my machine finally went pop last night.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on a replacement

Beside pron and reading tinfoilhat nonsense I don’t really use it for all that much, so it hardly needs to be high end.

Cheers

HOLA442
HOLA443

Laptops are subjective, my most reliable laptops have been Dell's compared to HP & Acer.

My previous laptop to this one was a Dell. Never again! Shoddily built, and it showed.

Example: from new it would randomly freeze up due to the physical connection to the hard disc being dicky (and too inaccessible to fix). Dell's so-called customer services were worse than useless: all they were prepared to do is talk you through some flowchart of tests that you perform while on the phone to them, and which obviously don't catch a freezing-up heisenbug.

Current laptop is a macbook and has served nicely for five years. Though the hard disc died and needed replacing at one point, and the battery is knackered to the point where it has about 20 minutes life when not plugged in (good thing they've put power sockets on the trains :) ).

For a cheapo, SWMBO has a lenovo which was bought on price and has served very nicely for several years, including occasional use by her young nephews/nieces. Much to my surprise!

HOLA444
HOLA445

what's your budget?

Well money isn't a constraint.

Its more functionality based, as I really only need something pretty basic.

I don’t do anything that will cap cpu, needs a massive disc, or even an extensive battery life.

HOLA446

I don’t do anything that will cap cpu, needs a massive disc, or even an extensive battery life.

you could do worse then than build your own to spec:

My link

or lookup refurb on google.

HOLA447

Buy an EEEPC901 the windows version and stick a HDD in it? (the linux version does not have the ZIF port in it and therefore needs some awesome soldering to get a ZIF port into it and thus a HDD).

My Unbuntu EEEPC901 has lasted ages.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Cheers fellas, see what i can get at the weekend.

Those EEEPC's look so damn cheap, looks like its worth picking one up just for fun.

Never quite saw the point of getting something that size but without connectivity over the GSM/3G 'phone network that one gets on devices from phones to tablets. My pocket-puter accompanies me to places where the laptop would be too big, and/or where wifi may be unavailable.

But some people love 'em. YMMV.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Is getting it repaired an option?

Now how is that going to help the economy?

But seriously I've been building, repairing, replacing components in my own machines for the last 10 years or so. So I could fix it myself, but I'm just too lazy, and whilst I could pay someone else to fix it, by the time you've added in their cost, and the cost of the replacements, it's cheaper to buy a new one.

Archived