House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfk

"managing Emotions In The Workplace" Workshop

I'm one of the front-line workers in the NHS (scientists who actually DOES the work - work in the laboratory, run the machines, analyse the data, interpret it, write reports on the basis of this data etc - not manage it or any other nonsense non-job)

Anyway this wonderful email was distributed and I just couldn't believe the guff and crap it was all about. I felt compelled to reproduce it here...

Dear colleague,

There are several places left on the Managing Emotions in the Workplace workshop, being held in the ***** Centre on ** and **. This two day course is designed for team leaders and managers who want to perfect their impact and people-management performance. It gives opportunities to understand, identify and practice the skills in emotional intelligence required for

Improving personal effectiveness within the workplace.

More information related to this workshop can be found on the attached document.

Wording of attached document:

EI4Change is pleased to announce a special two day workshop

Managing Emotions in the Workplace

22-23 March 2011

*horrendous smileyface-on-computer-screen clip art picture*

This two day course is designed for team leaders and managers who want to

perfect their impact and people-management performance. It gives

opportunities to understand, identify and practice the skills in emotional

intelligence required for improving personal effectiveness within the workplace.

Easy, practical, user-friendly techniques

Tailored to your needs, focusing on results

Enhances skills, leadership competencies and core values

Emotional intelligence skills can create new levels of peak performance for

individuals, teams and the entire organisation.

Increase personal productivity

Improve communication

Make faster, better decisions

Influence others

Resolve conflict constructively

Reduce stress and worry

Improve work / life balance

And more!

Cost including refreshments, lunch and workbook is £275.00 (includes VAT).

Places are limited so early booking is advisable..

Register by email info@ei4change.org.uk or phone ***

:angry: :angry: :blink::blink:

WTF is this bollo*cks?

... our hospital is £10M in the red annually - and is looking at shedding 380 jobs every year for 4 years.

... the first lot of cuts are happening with all of us "front-line workers" whilst the f*cking management tw@ts protect their own little empires.

... THIS is what is seriously messed up about the public sector, make no mistake!

It's complete joke isn't. Mrs Pent Up works in admin for NHS so in an office in a block. Yet she had to go on a two day self defence course! also manual handling, maintaining working relationships (or similar shit) to name but a few. She seems to do more useless courses than actual work! No wonder it's in so much debt. It would be funny if we wasn't paying for it!

I initially worked in a smallish company focused on making profits. We were successful and grew, taking on more people. As time passed, many corporate people were hired (including some especially odius HR people) and we had to endure more and more of this nonesense, together with needing permission from about 15 people before doing anything differently. Needless to say, profits dwindled and I left for pastures new. Thankfully in the private sector, frequently companies get proven wrong when they turn into these avenues. Public sector can just go on and on with this rubbish.

Not everyone has the option to leave, so I can only offer my commiserations to you in having to put up with this bullsh!t.

http://www.onmedica.com/newsarticle.aspx?id=5351fdfe-3ccd-4122-91ca-89c2480cd36e

NHS productivity has fallen despite more resources

Jo Carlowe

Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Add to PDP Tracker

NHS productivity has fallen over the past decade, according to a Parliamentary Report, despite an increase in resources.

According to the Office for National Statistics NHS productivity fell by an average of 0.2% a year since 2000, and by an average of 1.4% a year in hospitals.

At the same time government spending on the NHS increased by 70% from £60bn in 2000-01 to £102bn in 2010-11, with some 40% spent on services provided by acute and foundation hospitals.

I heard this course taught more than thirty years ago by a manager who was a veteran of WW2. It took a few seconds and it went like this.

Listen up up lot. No swearing in fromt of the ladies and if any of you basterds want a fight you can fight me. Understood? Good.

I initially worked in a smallish company focused on making profits. We were successful and grew, taking on more people. As time passed, many corporate people were hired (including some especially odius HR people) and we had to endure more and more of this nonesense, together with needing permission from about 15 people before doing anything differently. Needless to say, profits dwindled and I left for pastures new. Thankfully in the private sector, frequently companies get proven wrong when they turn into these avenues. Public sector can just go on and on with this rubbish.

Not everyone has the option to leave, so I can only offer my commiserations to you in having to put up with this bullsh!t.

:D have a plan.

leaving anyway for pastures new towards end of year, have applied for vol red too. Let them sink in their own sh1t, I'll not be around.

Since I've been in therapy I've been much more effective at work. Not sure if that's an example post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, but I'm still shelling out 100 quid a month of my own money...

Good training like this can be really effective in my experience. Bad training is a complete waste of time and money. The workplace is full of emotion, so learning to understand your emotions can be useful.

Our hospital chief exec has had a pay rise of 48% since 2008.

Not bad.

... I'm sure that will help him with understanding his emotions *rolls eyes* *double facepalm*

Did you pass?

Yes but beleive it or not the tutor read through the questions and gave the answers as we filled in our papers.

Funny untill tonight I had forgot about that qualification I must update my CV and put it on there .

Damn looks like I'll be due for my annual Lifting and Handling course - which has been the same every year ... for the last 3-4 years ... so it's a box-ticking exercise so the hospital can absolve themselves of responsibility.

... oh and then there is the coroporate mandatory training .. where I will learn about Equality and Diversity, Handwashing (I kid you not) etc etc

... I usually take a good book in to read / play on my phone. Complete and utter waste of time.

My friend (NHS) went to the doctor about a sleeping problem.

He was Ok at night, and the morning wasnt so bad, but he had serious trouble nodding off in the afternoon.

As to the OP, this course will gain you valuable DIVERSITY Cudos.

In order to optimise employee engagement and promote more inclusion, the challenge is to transform the dominant culture in your organisation (typically white male, university educated, middle aged, heterosexual and physically able). The business dividend is that more of the workforce will be engaged in delivering success and be more productive.

http://www.diversityworksforlondon.com/upload/pdf/Culture_and_inclusion.pdf

This thread needs to employ someone to run its own:

Affinity focus groups

This can be done by asking your existing employees what makes them feel engaged and helps them give their best. Some firms do this through focus groups made up of employees from particular diverse backgrounds, such as women or ethnic minority employees. A skilled, external facilitator leads each group, with the facilitator mirroring the identity of its participants – for example, women focus groups have women facilitators, Asian groups have Asian facilitators. These groups are often known as affinity focus groups. Facilitators who mirror focus group participants’ diverse backgrounds connect and empathise with participants’ issues and struggles. Focus group members are consequently more open and honest with their feedback. Participants should feel confident that their comments will be treated confidentially and won’t be individually attributed; this is why experienced external agents often carry out the facilitation of these focus groups.

There you have it....you need 20 different consultants for the 20 diverse groups you have in the NHS, Council, Civil service.

remember, this is not made up shite...this is POLICY...TODAY.

The makers of Midsomer murders are paying with their jobs for not taking time to invest in this course.

I would suggest the choosing of a facilitator role on the grounds of race is a racist practice...yet here is a POLICY diversity course saying thats how it should be.

100% 8ollox.....well, some good tips about thinking about things, but devoting whole departments and consultancy to it?

Damn looks like I'll be due for my annual Lifting and Handling course - which has been the same every year ... for the last 3-4 years ... so it's a box-ticking exercise so the hospital can absolve themselves of responsibility.

... oh and then there is the coroporate mandatory training .. where I will learn about Equality and Diversity, Handwashing (I kid you not) etc etc

... I usually take a good book in to read / play on my phone. Complete and utter waste of time.

I feel your pain. My Trust has got so efficient with its box-ticking protocol that most mandatory training is done on-line. Fire training and manual handling comprises of a ten questions of which you need only get eight right. Of course, there's nothing to stop you opening a new browser while doing this annual f*ckwittery and googling the answers. Still, at least if I break my back the Trust is absolved.

Our T&D dept have forked out a sh*t load of money on a bunch of external consultants to run a Trust-wide course called 'The Difference is You'. I can only imagine it's as w*nky as it sounds. Still, a great use of a few hundred grand of taxpayers' money.

I feel your pain. My Trust has got so efficient with its box-ticking protocol that most mandatory training is done on-line. Fire training and manual handling comprises of a ten questions of which you need only get eight right. Of course, there's nothing to stop you opening a new browser while doing this annual f*ckwittery and googling the answers. Still, at least if I break my back the Trust is absolved.

Our T&D dept have forked out a sh*t load of money on a bunch of external consultants to run a Trust-wide course called 'The Difference is You'. I can only imagine it's as w*nky as it sounds. Still, a great use of a few hundred grand of taxpayers' money.

Im banging on, but DIVERSITY is POLICY.

There are empires of Diversity Co-ordinators, empathisors, supervisors, operatives, consultants...just bolted on and cancerous to the work at hand...this is NOT back room, its not management, its not front line.

Its 8ollox.

I have a confession to make. I hope it will shed some light into this darkness. I used to be in personnel management before it became HR. I learned that personnel managers become paranoid that others will find out they don't actually do anything. So they create a huge web of artificial, psuedo-scientific Stuff, replete with fancy words like emotional intelligence, and competencies. Be of good cheer, though, this contagion is not limited to the health service but has infected all organisations, so

1) you might as well stay put, and

2) it will eventually collapse under the weight of its own bulldung (this is wishful thinking but it keeps me going).

I have a confession to make. I hope it will shed some light into this darkness. I used to be in personnel management before it became HR. I learned that personnel managers become paranoid that others will find out they don't actually do anything. So they create a huge web of artificial, psuedo-scientific Stuff, replete with fancy words like emotional intelligence, and competencies. Be of good cheer, though, this contagion is not limited to the health service but has infected all organisations, so

1) you might as well stay put, and

2) it will eventually collapse under the weight of its own bulldung (this is wishful thinking but it keeps me going).

Remember a few years back Barclays Bank addmited that they were monitoring monitoring and knocked most of it on the head , as well as putting more people on their counters in the branches . Over the years I had been phoned on a few occasions and asked my opnion on the standard of service ect. I was always asked questions about the staff their attitude their knowledge ect. I always said their staff were fine but they needed more people working on the tills , having to queue for a long time was my gripe not the standard of service. It does seen to have been heard as they do now have more staff and one or two of them have said that the monitoring of monitoring has stopped.

Since I've been in therapy I've been much more effective at work. Not sure if that's an example post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, but I'm still shelling out 100 quid a month of my own money...

Good training like this can be really effective in my experience. Bad training is a complete waste of time and money. The workplace is full of emotion, so learning to understand your emotions can be useful.

You are probably with a good therapist who is charging a reasonable rate. Some of these chancers running courses for the public sector are charging hundreds an hour. That course said £275 a person. How much does that work out for a large group? Loads more than is justified I'd say.

I heard this course taught more than thirty years ago by a manager who was a veteran of WW2. It took a few seconds and it went like this.

Listen up up lot. No swearing in fromt of the ladies and if any of you basterds want a fight you can fight me. Understood? Good.

:lol::lol::lol:

I've been on a similar course. Ours was "Listen, you feckers. You might have broken your mother's heart, but you won't break mine..'