House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
i wanna house

News From The Coal Face

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1171668-to-be-surprised-that-our-estate-agents-took-their-commission-from-the-original-marketed-price-rather-than-the-final-sale-price

Am I being unreasonable to be surprised that our estate agent's took their commission from the original marketed price rather than the final sale price?

Whenever we gave sold ..., the agents commision that we have always paid has been calculated based on the final price that it goes through at.

So when a bad survey resulted in a 2k drop onceVa good few year ago the agents potential pot was also down by a few quid.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1171668-to-be-surprised-that-our-estate-agents-took-their-commission-from-the-original-marketed-price-rather-than-the-final-sale-price

Am I being unreasonable to be surprised that our estate agent's took their commission from the original marketed price rather than the final sale price?

Betcha it was Foxtons...

The woman is not being unreasonable - that's a right bloody con!

Having said that, would love to see it more widespread. That would keep people realistic in their initial asking prices.

Check the contract that you obviously read before you signed.

Check the contract that you obviously read before you signed.

Absolutely. I have never heard of a clause like that.

Nice business model - value the house higher than any other EA, force the vendor to take a big drop to sell and still take commission based on the original made-up valuation. That is money for nothing even by EA standards.

Never heard of that. I'd guess anyhtings possbile with Foxtons.

Mumsnet has some classics. I read one post recently where someone had 'sold their house 5 times already' and had still not actually sold it.

I've sold through Foxtons before and my commission was based upon the final selling price.

Say what you want about their aggressive tactics and silly cars but they do go the extra mile - almost every property will have a floorplan and they do viewings outside of normal office hours and weekends.

Perhaps that explains the ludicrous asking prices we see?

I was chatting with one EA chain today who told me that "the phone is not ringing".

They said they are surprised by how few sellers are ringing them up for valuations. They had expected March to be busy but so far it has been quiet.

It is noticeable that houses below 250K are disappearing as they get purchased with most stuff over 300K just sitting on the market.

I am beginning to think that a dearth of properties coming to the market will prop up the prices.

Right now there are quite a few threads on mumsnet about obtaining a mortgage whilst pregnant.

Lot's of hand-wringing about legal rights and discrimination - not so much thought about servicing the damned thing once they decide they only want to work part-time.

:lol:

Lemmings