House Price Crash Forum

"why Is There No Looting In Japan?"

Qetesuesi

HOLA441
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Interesting question. I suppose perhaps because their culture is based on honour and respect* ? And even if you are desperate - losing these in public is just not worth it to the average Japanese person ?

* I would be interested to hear what anyone from Japan has to say.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

..I didn't go past the first which was typical of the low life attitude prevailing in some quarters... <_<

:blink:

The first post read:

Maybe they're too stunned.

Maybe having a society that is largely homogeneous and based in respect they aren't so self interested and grapsing.

What on earth is "low life" about that?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Look how shocked we are here watching it all. Imagine how the average Japanese is feeling. Imagine how the survivors are feelings.

They are in shock as a nation. Traumatised. Expect the high suicide rate in Japan to go even higher in the coming months sadly.

As a species we identify with our surroundings. The town, the suburbs, the people we pass daily, are more important to us than we realise. For the survivors they are mostly all gone now.

People are experiencing the grief of the loss of often not just one close loved one but several close loved ones... and all of their friends... and all the people they worked with, passed in the street, smiled at in the shops.

Even the loss of people they did not know but people who were part of their community will impact on the survivors.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

And that surprises me, given that at the DTel it already has over 1,500 comments.

Take a look.

I suspect the correct answer is supposed to be 'that shows just how honest and awesome a society free of foreigners would be'

But maybe it's because the Japanese don't tolerate the social inequalities between the rich and poor that we in the West accept?

Or it could be the Japanese are a race of automatons with no initiative?

Or it could be that the Japanese authorities aren't wasting their time arresting people for nicking bottled water and TV sets in the wake of thousands of people being killed, hurt or displaced?

Gee, making up plausible explanations that fit my preconceived world view is fun

First off though, where exactly is the evidence that no looting has taken place in Japan?

HOLA4418

:blink:

The first post read:

What on earth is "low life" about that?

...ah ..the first post I read was the latest post and keeps changing .....I had a quick scan but can't find it ..but it went along the lines that as humans are a hunter gatherer species it was quite natural to loot ....a real chav response... <_<

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

First off though, where exactly is the evidence that no looting has taken place in Japan?

Er... did you click on where Ed West says "and I'm not the only one curious about this"?

From the results it appears to be a fact generally known and uncontested. Why would you doubt it? Especially when you correlate it with what you surely must already know about Japan's famously low property crime rate, as well as their tremendous self-sacrificial collective discipline (cf. kamikaze pilots), etc.

HOLA4421

That would be at least further back than 1940

Stick 'blitz' and 'looting' into google if you don't know where I'm coming from

A situation of total war is rather different from what's just happened in Sendai. I wonder how the Japs themselves behaved as their inevitable 1945 defeat drew near....

HOLA4422

Er... did you click on where Ed West says "and I'm not the only one curious about this"?

From the results it appears to be a fact generally known and uncontested. Why would you doubt it? Especially when you correlate it with what you surely must already know about Japan's famously low property crime rate, as well as their tremendous self-sacrificial collective discipline (cf. kamikaze pilots), etc.

Yes I did and saw a page of google search results of people asking the same question and also saw 'no reported cases of looting' morphed into 'no looting'

HOLA4423

Sad to say, but there probably will be looting if the social order breaks down, even in a disciplined nation like Japan. But on the other hand the shock is so great for all the people in the affected area and there's probably not much to loot that's undamaged anyway.

Having lived there for years, it's very difficult to imagine how bad things would have to get before there was widespread looting.

There are many reasons - pride, honour, the fact that there are much less drugs there, the fact there is less of a clear gap between working class and middle/upper class...personally I think a better question is to ask why in other countries people are so quick to turn to looting.

HOLA4424

A situation of total war is rather different from what's just happened in Sendai. I wonder how the Japs themselves behaved as their inevitable 1945 defeat drew near....

well in that case the comment I responded to maybe should have read

'just like we used to have in certain circumstances but not others'

HOLA4425

Yes I did and saw a page of google search results of people asking the same question and also saw 'no reported cases of looting' morphed into 'no looting'

So CH, were there "no reported cases of looting" in Chile; Haiti; New Orleans; our 2007 floods...?

Has there in fact been massive looting in Japan, combined with an even more massive global media conspiracy to black it all out?

Archived