House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OZZIE

Using Last Months Rent As Deposit

The letting agents have told us we cannot use the last months rent as means to reimburse our deposit. They state this is in our contract.

Where do we stand legally if we were to do this?

Guest consa
The letting agents have told us we cannot use the last months rent as means to reimburse our deposit. They state this is in our contract.

Where do we stand legally if we were to do this?

Tell them to shove it, it will not be worth them persuing it. I will always do it.

I don't think they can legally start proceedings unless you are more than 1 month in arrears, might be 3 months.

NEVER PAY LAST MONTHS RENT!!

Tell them to shove it, it will not be worth them persuing it. I will always do it.

I don't think they can legally start proceedings unless you are more than 1 month in arrears, might be 3 months.

NEVER PAY LAST MONTHS RENT!!

I'm not quite so sure you will get away with it that easily.

Certainly, if you want a reference in the future, not paying the last months rent will go heavily against you.

You don't say why you need to do this. If it's a legitimate concern that you may lose an unfair amount of your deposit, then you have a stronger case.

Other than that, I would pay up, as it's a whole lot of hassle if they decide to come after you.

If you are moving to another rented place, then you would have already gat your reference from the agent before the last months rent is due.

Yes, but what happens the next time you move?

It's Ok if you get a long rent - if you look again after 6 - 12 months they would want references going further back.....

I'm a serial renter, and I don't do it. I would if I thought they were going to withhold an unfair amount though. As I said in my last post depends why he wants to use the deposit for rent.