House Price Crash Forum
South Lorne

Uk Social Welfare Benefits Are 44 Percent Of Wages And Salaries?

...picked this up on a thread a few days ago...is it true?

At the very least, we can take solace in the fact that we’re not quite at the state welfare levels of Europe. In the U.K., social welfare benefits make up 44 percent of wages and salaries, according to TrimTabs’ Schnapp.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41969508

...picked this up on a thread a few days ago...is it true?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41969508

I am absolutely sure that I read within the last 2-3 years, that for the first time, within the last few years, Benefits slightly exceeded wages.

I do not know for how long. But it was a statistic which stuck with me. So Social Welfare benefits did exceed 50% for a time.

Edited by Dan1

I am absolutely sure that I read within the last 2-3 years, that for the first time, within the last few years, Benefits slightly exceeded wages.

I do not know for how long. But it was a statistic which stuck with me. So Social Welfare benefits did exceed 50% for a time.

...looks likely to get worse as the baby boomers are retiring now..... :unsure:

a record figure that will only increase if action isn’t taken before the majority of Baby Boomers enter retirement.

..are we going to borrow to pay for their retirement....?

Edited by South Lorne

How about not taxing them in the first place and saving on the bureaucracy? :blink:

Someone on minimum wage pays 31% direct taxation, 20-40% tax on savings, 20% VAT on most items, another £1-2k council tax and that's before considering things like motoring.

Edited by HPC001

How about not taxing them in the first place and saving on the bureaucracy? :blink:

Someone on minimum wage pays 31% direct taxation, 20-40% tax on savings, 20% VAT on most items, another £1-2k council tax and that's before considering things like motoring.

+1

And then they wonder why so many have given up and banged out a few kids.

....true...there is a thought that less tax means more revenue through increased productivity and therefore revenue...Hong Kong for example ...in fact it was started by a British Civil Servant in the Colonial days discussed here several months ago ....HK has never looked back ...we need a few Hong Kongs in this country ... <_<

....true...there is a thought that less tax means more revenue through increased productivity and therefore revenue...Hong Kong for example ...in fact it was started by a British Civil Servant in the Colonial days discussed here several months ago ....HK has never looked back ...we need a few Hong Kongs in this country ... <_<

HK also uses LVT to fund a lot of its government (the rate is 3%). Incidentally the Irish government plans to introduce it in 2013, although it isn't clear whether it will replace other taxes.

..ps ..I am a baby boomer..

£150. p.a. enforced by threats and fines TV Tax!

6-8% 'Hidden' Bank Tax on everything you buy! :o

(covers shop keepers credit card transaction charges which are already added on to the price in case you use one )

Edited by erranta

..that's easy... <_<

£150. p.a. enforced by threats and fines TV Tax!

..nobody should have to pay for the UK's PRAVDA...drop the tax...

6-8% 'Hidden' Bank Tax on everything you buy! :o

(covers shop keepers credit card transaction charges which are already added on to the price in case you use one )

....make all these charges illegal ...there is no justification for them financial or moral..