House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudnine

Your Opinion On Leytonstone

Hey!

I'm no stranger to living in rough areas (unfortunately) .. however, I am due to move to Leytonstone; leytonstone high road to be specific. I've heard some bad things about this part of leytonstone! .. gangs etc.

If you have a bad opinion, view or 'fact' about leytonstone give it to me gently! Or I won't be able to sleep at night!

Thanks.

Well,

In 1914, the author Henry Williamson got into a fight in the Territorial Army for referring to 'Leytonstone louts'

Plus ca change, plus ca meme

Hey!

I'm no stranger to living in rough areas (unfortunately) .. however, I am due to move to Leytonstone; leytonstone high road to be specific. I've heard some bad things about this part of leytonstone! .. gangs etc.

If you have a bad opinion, view or 'fact' about leytonstone give it to me gently! Or I won't be able to sleep at night!

Thanks.

Lived in Leyton many years ago. Leytonstone (next door) was widely regarded as very slightly upmarket from us.

It was true working class. Meaning, not a euphemism for 'rough' (never felt threatened), but very predominantly low-education, lower-income but genuinely working people. Old-fashioned shops, chippies, etc.

I expect it's changed since then, and blighted by 'regeneration', and especially next year's humbug.

Hey!

Thanks.

Moving to Leytonstone? One word of advice - Don't.

Why do you have to move there anyway ? There's Wanstead which is a mile away and is much nicer.

Lived in Leyton many years ago. Leytonstone (next door) was widely regarded as very slightly upmarket from us.

It was true working class. Meaning, not a euphemism for 'rough' (never felt threatened), but very predominantly low-education, lower-income but genuinely working people. Old-fashioned shops, chippies, etc.

I expect it's changed since then, and blighted by 'regeneration', and especially next year's humbug.

If leytonstone was was anything like it was when you were there (judging from your description) i wouldnt even hesitate to move there!

Darn these so called gangs.. *sigh

Surely they can not be menacing given the expected tight security and policing due to next year's 'humbug'.

H

Why do you have to move there anyway ? There's Wanstead which is a mile away and is much nicer.

Don't be Soooo ...blunt! Lol. :/

I have no choice. Without giving me nightmares, tell me why you don't approve of living there. I am all ears.

Make sure you reply! :]

Well,

In 1914, the author Henry Williamson got into a fight in the Territorial Army for referring to 'Leytonstone louts'

Plus ca change, plus ca meme

Leytonstone louts, eh?!

H

Don't be Soooo ...blunt! Lol. :/

I have no choice. Without giving me nightmares, tell me why you don't approve of living there. I am all ears.

Make sure you reply! :]

Multiple stabbings, muggings, assaults, gang violence etc. along the High Road. The buildings are not looked after, lots of mess, graffiti, litter. Just a general dump. You know its an area to avoid when the TSG start patrolling it.

Why do you have to live on the High Road?

Multiple stabbings, muggings, assaults, gang violence etc. along the High Road. The buildings are not looked after, lots of mess, graffiti, litter. Just a general dump. You know its an area to avoid when the TSG start patrolling it.

Why do you have to live on the High Road?

Well Mr! .. where exactly do you live? .. I'm not suggesting that if you live in a well to do area I won't value your opinion, just wanna know what angle you're coming from.

You know I just got off of the phone to someone living there, they assured me that it is changing. and here you come the barer of bad news! Grr.

Thanks for replying though ..

I'm moving there! .. have to. Not saying why ; you'll end up seeing me as a 'little girl'.

:/

P.s, ill now have nightmares. Thanks!

Well Mr! .. where exactly do you live? .. I'm not suggesting that if you live in a well to do area I won't value your opinion, just wanna know what angle you're coming from.

You know I just got off of the phone to someone living there, they assured me that it is changing. and here you come the barer of bad news! Grr.

Thanks for replying though ..

I'm moving there! .. have to. Not saying why ; you'll end up seeing me as a 'little girl'.

:/

P.s, ill now have nightmares. Thanks!

I live near Redbridge Underground station. Leytonstone is 2 stops away, which is as close as I like it!

I've been to Leytonstone many times. I know people who have been mugged in Leytonstone. Walking down the High Road even in daytime is quite daunting. The number of funny looks Ive had really made me feel uneasy. It never used to be like that - its got slowly worse over the last 10-20 years.

I live near Redbridge Underground station. Leytonstone is 2 stops away, which is as close as I like it!

I've been to Leytonstone many times. I know people who have been mugged in Leytonstone. Walking down the High Road even in daytime is quite daunting. The number of funny looks Ive had really made me feel uneasy. It never used to be like that - its got slowly worse over the last 10-20 years.

Lol. I hate you! :)

Do you really think crime like that will occur with the Olympics? .. I doubt it

Maybe you have a more sheltered life than me .. I currently live in plaistow, Soooo as I said I'm no stranger to rough areas. I actually walked down leytonstone high road in the dark, I felt completely safe, bright lights ... people.

Do you have yahoo messenger? .. BTW.

And! ... you do live in redbridge, its better than newham, better than leytonstone so id expect you to have reservations. Still want your opinion though. What do you think if plaistow?

OK. How about some input from someone who actually lives there - me?

First of all, in eight years of living there I've never seen a mugging/stabbing/assault. I don't know anyone who has been mugged, stabbed or assaulted. That's not say they don't happen - but this is London. I certainly feel much safer than other areas I've lived in - including Holloway, Islington and Shoreditch. The 'gang violence' seems only to involve the pathetic little twerps themselves, although one 'outsider' who intervened did get injured. That was a low point. However, the local police have been very pro-active in dealing with the so-called gangs. In common with anywhere in the Capital, if you go looking for trouble you could find it fairly easily. But Leytonstone is not the South Bronx.

There is no denying that the High Road is run down, especially towards Thatched House. However, the council is spending 2 million quid on 'improvements' - they seem to have started off with replacing the street lighting, and that phase looks almost complete. The council also have an aggressive new policy of making households keep their front yards/gardens clear of rubbish, which is making a difference.

The demographic of Leytonstone has changed hugely in my 8 years here - there are far more middle class residents, many of whom have been priced out Bow, Bethnal Green and Hackney. It's an area that is improving and will continue to do so. Inward investment is needed for real improvements - the local council are hopeless at marketing Leytonstone - but there are some green shoots (the Red Lion is reopening in April).

I cannot understand how anyone could find Leytonstone High Road 'daunting', even at night. My biggest problem about living on the High Road would be that it's pretty noisy. Given the choice I'd live in 'Upper' Leytonstone, Bushwood or Cann Hall locales. All quiet residential areas.

See my other posts for more about living in Leytonstone. I am a lurker, but I post in defence of what I have found to be a very good area to live in. And I won't even mention that it's 20 minutes to the West End by Tube, or a 35 minute cycle.

OK. How about some input from someone who actually lives there - me?

First of all, in eight years of living there I've never seen a mugging/stabbing/assault. I don't know anyone who has been mugged, stabbed or assaulted. That's not say they don't happen - but this is London. I certainly feel much safer than other areas I've lived in - including Holloway, Islington and Shoreditch. The 'gang violence' seems only to involve the pathetic little twerps themselves, although one 'outsider' who intervened did get injured. That was a low point. However, the local police have been very pro-active in dealing with the so-called gangs. In common with anywhere in the Capital, if you go looking for trouble you could find it fairly easily. But Leytonstone is not the South Bronx.

There is no denying that the High Road is run down, especially towards Thatched House. However, the council is spending 2 million quid on 'improvements' - they seem to have started off with replacing the street lighting, and that phase looks almost complete. The council also have an aggressive new policy of making households keep their front yards/gardens clear of rubbish, which is making a difference.

The demographic of Leytonstone has changed hugely in my 8 years here - there are far more middle class residents, many of whom have been priced out Bow, Bethnal Green and Hackney. It's an area that is improving and will continue to do so. Inward investment is needed for real improvements - the local council are hopeless at marketing Leytonstone - but there are some green shoots (the Red Lion is reopening in April).

I cannot understand how anyone could find Leytonstone High Road 'daunting', even at night. My biggest problem about living on the High Road would be that it's pretty noisy. Given the choice I'd live in 'Upper' Leytonstone, Bushwood or Cann Hall locales. All quiet residential areas.

See my other posts for more about living in Leytonstone. I am a lurker, but I post in defence of what I have found to be a very good area to live in. And I won't even mention that it's 20 minutes to the West End by Tube, or a 35 minute cycle.

You are a god send! ... not just because you're telling me what I want to hear, but because you live there. It's quite annoying when people say flippant comments about the area you're planning to live in! .. as I said I've walked down the high road in the dark and I felt very safe.

I would prefer to live in the 'better' part of leytonstone, but off the high road it is! .. 20mins to west end? .. wow. You have to tell me the route! :)

Thanks a lot and I will check your other posts out. Have a great evening.

You are a god send! ... not just because you're telling me what I want to hear, but because you live there. It's quite annoying when people say flippant comments about the area you're planning to live in! .. as I said I've walked down the high road in the dark and I felt very safe.

I would prefer to live in the 'better' part of leytonstone, but off the high road it is! .. 20mins to west end? .. wow. You have to tell me the route! :)

Thanks a lot and I will check your other posts out. Have a great evening.

I'd hardly said my comments were flippant. I was born here and have lived in and around this area for nigh on 30 years. I've watched the area around and south of the Green Man slowly deteriorate, I read the local rags and have seen crime dramatically around Leytonstone over the last few years. Search the net about gang crimes in the area - plenty of reports of assaults, stabbings and the odd murder. OK, so its probably gang members attacking each other, but when its happening outside your door are you going go out? People who live in the High Road describe it as a nightmare, and I'd agree with them. Personally you couldn't pay me to live there, but you may have a different view. I hope it goes OK for you.

Just an example, from August last year when a gang stabbed someone in the middle of the road early one Sunday evening

http://gangsinlondon.blogspot.com/2010/08/leytonstone-gangs-taking-over-peoples.html

And according to that report, Cann Hall is supposed to be one of the hotspots, not a quiet residential area at all.

Also plow through some of the back stories on

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/

Then again, perhaps thats the norm these days. I wouldn't want to live in a lot of areas in London.

Edit: found this as well

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/wfnews/8366306.LEYTONSTONE__Man_stabbed_in_High_Road/

Read the comments - frightening.

I'd hardly said my comments were flippant. I was born here and have lived in and around this area for nigh on 30 years. I've watched the area around and south of the Green Man slowly deteriorate, I read the local rags and have seen crime dramatically around Leytonstone over the last few years. Search the net about gang crimes in the area - plenty of reports of assaults, stabbings and the odd murder. OK, so its probably gang members attacking each other, but when its happening outside your door are you going go out? People who live in the High Road describe it as a nightmare, and I'd agree with them. Personally you couldn't pay me to live there, but you may have a different view. I hope it goes OK for you.

Just an example, from August last year when a gang stabbed someone in the middle of the road early one Sunday evening

http://gangsinlondon.blogspot.com/2010/08/leytonstone-gangs-taking-over-peoples.html

And according to that report, Cann Hall is supposed to be one of the hotspots, not a quiet residential area at all.

Also plow through some of the back stories on

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/

Then again, perhaps thats the norm these days. I wouldn't want to live in a lot of areas in London.

Edit: found this as well

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/wfnews/8366306.LEYTONSTONE__Man_stabbed_in_High_Road/

Read the comments - frightening.

Oh, shut up! :) .. when I said 'flippant' comments I wasn't refering to you. When I told certain family members I was moving there they hindered my excitement about moving with stories of gangs. I'm here to hear everyones views, to be honest I am surprised I got replies.

I keep going from pillar to post about how I feel towards leytonstone. I don't have a choice, I moving there. I live in plaistow. People have been shot here .. there's gangs everywhere! We could squash this borderline debate, you could rent me out a place in tranquil Redbridge. *grin.

Oh, shut up! :) .. when I said 'flippant' comments I wasn't refering to you. When I told certain family members I was moving there they hindered my excitement about moving with stories of gangs. I'm here to hear everyones views, to be honest I am surprised I got replies.

I keep going from pillar to post about how I feel towards leytonstone. I don't have a choice, I moving there. I live in plaistow. People have been shot here .. there's gangs everywhere! We could squash this borderline debate, you could rent me out a place in tranquil Redbridge. *grin.

Apologies!

There's another thread about Leytonstone here.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=136731

I'd be interested in knowing where exactly (or nearly exactly!) Barbarossa lives in Leytonstone. He clearly loves it. I'm sure there are decent parts of Leytonstone, its just that the High Road isn't one of them. But he is right in saying its about 20 minutes into London. If the Central line is OK, that is!

BTW, I reluctantly read those links you so kindly gave me! .. can not believe that people feel brave enough to stab someone on a high road .. in daylight almost. Send them to the army, Iraq maybe? ..

It's just stupid how thats allowed to happen despite the precious Olympics baffles me.

Apologies!

I'd be interested in knowing where exactly (or nearly exactly!) Barbarossa lives in Leytonstone. He clearly loves it. I'm sure there are decent parts of Leytonstone, its just that the High Road isn't one of them. But he is right in saying its about 20 minutes into London. If the Central line is OK, that is!

Oops. The above is for you! Also, do you think moving from plaistow to leytonstone will make that much difference on terms of 'roughness'.

Apologies!

I live in one of the streets off Cann Hall road. And the thing is - I don't have to live here. I am very lucky in as much as we can afford a 'better' area if we want to, but we settled here because E11 is exceptionally good value.

I have absolutely no reason to believe that our bit of Leytonstone is a 'gang hotspot'. Our experience simply does not bear that out. It's not utopia, but it is a nice place to live. It's quiet, we know all our neighbours (who are all long-term residents). Kids play in the street. We even have a whistling milkman. Our biggest hassles are dog mess and flytipping.

One area that I would certainly say has had gang problems is the estate behind the junction of Cathall and Leytonstone High Road, though i have to say I pass through the estate quite often and I've personally never seen any trouble - but there are often hoodies hanging around.

I'm familiar with the 'Gangs In London' website, but I have to say a lot of the info on there is out of date and/or inaccurate. I've had some dealings with the local police as part of my job, and it's clear that last year's 'incidents' took them by surprise. They were certainly not typical of the area - though that's not to say there haven't been stabbings before, most notably (and tragically) that of Paul Erahon. As it is, there's an on-going anti-gang operation.

The bottom line is: Leytonstone is no worse than most areas of London and a lot better than many - especially other parts of East London. It's simply laughable to say it's unsafe - but it is part of a big city, with its attendant problems. That Leytonstone high road is shabby is undeniable, but I have high hopes for the area. I keep banging on about the Red Lion reopening, but it's an enormous inward investment by Antic Ltd, a company who do a lot of expensive research into identifying 'up and coming' areas. We're a long way off being the new Stoke Newington/Islington/Hackney but... mighty oaks, little acorns.

Ok, not like you care! x I've done a complete U-turn. I am no longer moving to dreadful old leytonstone. Ok, dreadful may be harsh. There's nothing wrong with where I live now and it has taken me sometime to appreciate what I already have! .. I mean its rare to have a large cherry tree in your garden. All the money I was going to spend moving, refurbishing .. I can just spend here .. improving it and still have money left over for shoes. :)

Ugh, look how trivial I sound. Have a nice weekend!

Forum magazine and a few other porn type mags used to be published there. :blink:

You could even call and pick up the grubby mags and toys. Bit like Estate agents. lol :lol:

Its an overpriced tip and always will be