House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harry Monk

Evening Meal, 1970S Style.

I've noticed that Fray Bentos are pushing their range of tinned pies in these times of austerity.

I haven't eaten one for 35 years but I have decided to cook my kids a 1970s style meal this weekend and my menu idea so far is this...

Main Course

Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie.

Cadbury's Smash instant mashed potato.

Surprise Peas

Dessert

Bird's Angel Delight, butterscotch flavour.

How does this sound? I was thinking I could download some Slade or Abba as musical accompaniment.

Can you still buy Surprise peas? If not, what would you suggest, I was thinking maybe a tin of marrowfat peas? Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome.

I've noticed that Fray Bentos are pushing their range of tinned pies in these times of austerity.

I haven't eaten one for 35 years but I have decided to cook my kids a 1970s style meal this weekend and my menu idea so far is this...

I like Fray Bentos - makes me think of camping holidays in France as a kid.

You have to have a Prawn cocktail starter.

Sounds good. LEO dried peas are still available as a substitute to surprise peas. If you can get hold of them remember you need to soak them overnight.

Leo_Dried_Peas.jpg

HOw hard is it to get a bit of pastry short or flakey, line the bottom of a pyrex lid with pastry, through in left over rst chicken & veg, beef or what not and then cover with pastry and slam in the oven. 5mins? Much tastier than a fray bentos pie imo and thus more satisfaction knowing the contents and size is more to your liking imo.

Not at all difficult, especially as I trained as a chef when I left school, but I am trying to replicate the 1970s meal experience.

Made me laugh Harry. I like your menu.

Fray Bentos pies are usually pretty good, quality-wise. They tend to cost £1 when on offer, and are a treat every now an again.

Angel Delight, I haven't has some of that for years.

[quote name='tinker'

Angel Delight, I haven't has some of that for years.

Still available..they sell it at my local Somerfild/Co-Op,along with Camp Coffee! Recommend some 70s-tastic wine too..how about Mateus Rose,Blue Nun or Black Tower?

I lived on those in college. My Mum did not like them but once I was liberated to go college I lived on them... and they stayed fresh in a place where you could not trust the fridges... sneaky things fridges...

The pies have flaky pasty which was delicious.

Your menu sounds fine. I was expecting to read about a curry out of a box. Forget the name of them now but you know the thing.... place white boiled rice in a circle, pour the chicken curry in the middle.

http://www.retrofoodrecipes.com/

This is a frozen version but I was thinking of the stuff you could keep in a cupboard in case of nuclear attack.

Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies are good.

I miss the 70s packaged food, I could eat it.

I have a very sensitive palate and detest the curry and chili powder that finds it's way into just about everything these days :(.

That's what I was thinking of - vesta currys.

Washed down with Liebframilch - late 1970s sophistication. Along with the gloopy, cheesy, Fondue set and brown decor.

heh ....I like the vesta chow mein

vesta-chow-mein.jpg

I like watching them curl

My first taste of " foreign muck "

had a bentos mince and onion last week , very nice ............the chicken one is awful ...avoid

Peas?????????????????????????????????????????

Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney MUST ALWAYS go with Beans and Smash.

One of my favourite treats whenever the wife and kids disappear for a night laugh.gif

What are suprise peas?

Vesta beef curry was what my dad had for his lunch on a saturday.

If my mum was feeling generous she'd get us kids the chow mein one but hated putting the chip pan on to do the crunchy things.

I loved Birds Eye Chocolate lovely, they had a blob of cream on the top.....used to eat them frozen, far better like that than having to wait for them to thaw. ;)

I did used to like frey bentos S&K pie cooked in the tin.......hadn't eaten one for years, but only the other day thought I would try one to see if it tasted the same as how I remembered. I have to say I will never buy one again, the pastry was salty but nice, but the filling was a greyish more kidney than steak tasting, mush....sorry. ;)

I did used to like frey bentos S&K pie cooked in the tin.......hadn't eaten one for years, but only the other day thought I would try one to see if it tasted the same as how I remembered. I have to say I will never buy one again, the pastry was salty but nice, but the filling was a greyish more kidney than steak tasting, mush....sorry. ;)

I have eaten them many times when I was a kid but last time I tried one I did think it had the texture of dog food. (Not that I've eaten dog food...)