House Price Crash Forum
awaytogo

No More Take Away Jobs For Non Eu Immgrants

"Those from outside the EEA wanting to work in fast food outlets and takeaways will not be allowed in to the UK at all."

Emm..

Interesting. Lots of UK citizens simply do not want these jobs. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Paragraph 3 says "A similar ban will apply to workers such as hairdressers, beauty salon managers and estate agents from April.".

Estate Agents!??!

"Those from outside the EEA wanting to work in fast food outlets and takeaways will not be allowed in to the UK at all."

Emm..

Interesting. Lots of UK citizens simply do not want these jobs. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

They will when the benefit tap is firmly closed.

I know of a take-away pizza place which has been open for nearly 20 years and does hardly any business at all due to its poor position. When I mentioned it to my ex she told me it was owned by an Iraqi doctor at the hospital where she worked, and he operated it for the sole purpose of bringing relatives over from Iraq.

I dont see what difference it makes. Pretty much every take away,KFC and kebab house around me has been busted, illegal immigrants caught, then not deported. Fast food joint stays open, hires new illegals, cycle repeats.

Its not legal immigrants that are the problem. Its the illegals. Imprison their employers, trafficers, truck drivers, problem goes away.

Its not legal immigrants that are the problem. Its the illegals. Imprison their employers, trafficers, truck drivers, problem goes away.

But how will people launder their drugs money then? :huh:

Emm..

Errm no thats a load of crap.

Its not that they do not want these jobs but that the reward vs effort/risk balance for uk workers is so completely out of wack, because of the unlimited numbers of immigrants legal/illegal that have been able to fill them. If you let more immigrants in you simply further skew the system making it even more unlikely uk workers would take these postions, so it is patiently ludicrous to argue that we should let immigrants in to take these jobs to fill worker shortages when the shortages exist because of letting the immigrants in in the first place.

Cut off the flow and salaries and conditions will have to rise to attract workers, more uk workers will find the jobs economically attractive and apply for them, and the system rebalances around higher paid workers. Its all basic economics....

Edited by alexw

Emm..

Emm

Oh yes thats right thanks for reminding me . I remember as a kid all the fast food outlets that opened up had to close down as on one would work in them . We had our Uk holidays canceled as the guest houses had no staff, there were no coffee shops and the pavements were covered in rubbish . We queued for hours to get fruit and veg at the greengrocers as the farmers had no one to pick the crops which caused a limited supply. NOT.

I forsee a lot of McBurgers with spit.

And severe downward pressure on rents.

Emm

Oh yes thats right thanks for reminding me . I remember as a kid all the fast food outlets that opened up had to close down as on one would work in them . We had our Uk holidays canceled as the guest houses had no staff, there were no coffee shops and the pavements were covered in rubbish . We queued for hours to get fruit and veg at the greengrocers as the farmers had no one to pick the crops which caused a limited supply. NOT.

I dont know how old you are , but i am afraid i have never heard of a take away closing because of a shortage of staff, or having a holiday cancelled because of a shortage of staff, and as far as fruit and vegatable pickers when i was a child i did both, there were hardly any foriegn pickers in the UK, and many uk pickers went to france and italy to pick fruit, these are all recent symptoms of a far to generous and lax benifit system which if not brought under control will sink this country, more and more foriegn workers are now joining the benifits culture and will this trickle will increase as they get eligible for benifits.Foriegn workers are no different to uk workers i work with them, the problem is the benifits system in this country which encourages people not to work.

I dont know how old you are , but i am afraid i have never heard of a take away closing because of a shortage of staff, or having a holiday cancelled because of a shortage of staff, and as far as fruit and vegatable pickers when i was a child i did both, there were hardly any foriegn pickers in the UK, and many uk pickers went to france and italy to pick fruit, these are all recent symptoms of a far to generous and lax benifit system which if not brought under control will sink this country, more and more foriegn workers are now joining the benifits culture and will this trickle will increase as they get eligible for benifits.Foriegn workers are no different to uk workers i work with them, the problem is the benifits system in this country which encourages people not to work.

To be fair the more you move out of the metropolitan and to the north of the country (I do not know about cornwall and devon - never been there) more you notice there are genuine white british people (Mostly teenagers - is this to do with the lower minimal wage?) working in the fast food and coffee chains. This probably relates to the trend that the immigrants tend to stay closer to big Metropolies/London.

So if the job is available there will be takers to fill it up.

With regards to the farmers it will be the supply and demand in play: no immigrants for fruit picking at minimal wage then raise the wage so british ppl take the job (and then comes the big supermarkets and force the farmer out of business with cheap foreign imports)....

To be fair the more you move out of the metropolitan and to the north of the country (I do not know about cornwall and devon - never been there) more you notice there are genuine white british people (Mostly teenagers - is this to do with the lower minimal wage?) working in the fast food and coffee chains. This probably relates to the trend that the immigrants tend to stay closer to big Metropolies/London.

So if the job is available there will be takers to fill it up.

With regards to the farmers it will be the supply and demand in play: no immigrants for fruit picking at minimal wage then raise the wage so british ppl take the job (and then comes the big supermarkets and force the farmer out of business with cheap foreign imports)....

Yep.

Basically, places where young people can still afford to work for beer money. It's the getting your own place/starting a familly bit that becomes a problem.

Freshies only work at the reduced pay till they know the ropes then they too get benefits and are able to force their "pay" up. Long term this is a neutral change as it only applies to those that are illegally in the country. What would have an effect would be a proper deterrent to employing illegals. At the moment the measures used are ineffective has has already been mentioned.

I have seen whole work gangs in low grade construction bought in from Southern Asian countries and housed on site till the job is done and then just shipped back, what kind of students could they have been when they never really left the site. They were paid in their native countries so very cheap.

Many minority groups openly abuse these illegals and they only get away with it because of the climate created by NuLabour that any comment is racism. :angry: One day the shocking truth will come out.

so who's going to make my curry or chinese takeaway now?

Billy Baseball-Cap will make it for you. He will gob in it for free too as a thank you for taking away the benefits.

Its not that they do not want these jobs but that the reward vs effort/risk balance for uk workers is so completely out of wack, because of the unlimited numbers of immigrants legal/illegal that have been able to fill them. If you let more immigrants in you simply further skew the system making it even more unlikely uk workers would take these postions, so it is patiently ludicrous to argue that we should let immigrants in to take these jobs to fill worker shortages when the shortages exist because of letting the immigrants in in the first place.

Cut off the flow and salaries and conditions will have to rise to attract workers, more uk workers will find the jobs economically attractive and apply for them, and the system rebalances around higher paid workers. Its all basic economics....

Great post, and nicely summarises my key objection to ANY kind of economic immigration to the UK. Same applies for skilled labour and white collar jobs - cut off the immigrant labour supply and it will cause salaries to rise and encourage more young people to train in said occupations. Allow immigrants in and the local skills shortage is perpetuated indefinitely. This is whats happening in IT for example. Also there is the hidden cost of having to give benefits to those displaced.

Edited by goldbug9999

Yep - cant be making it easy for people not to do shitty jobs. Shitty jobs have always had to be done. Except today people can choose not to do them and have a similar quality fo life. Totally ******ed up situation.

The problems are a poor work ethic of many in the UK - and the ridiculous benefits system that results in a lot of them being allowed to sit and do nothing all day.

Hopefully less obesity which in turns leads to less demands on the NHS which in turn leads to less taxes on us. ;)

Always a silver lining to any cloud. :D

Emm

How old are you ? have you been in a fast food outlet recently ?

PS - As someone else pointed out this probably changes depenindg where you live in the country.

Yep. This is a situation that has a few different 'causes' and issues to overcome.

Problem being it has been going on for so long - it is not going to be easy to change.

Great post, and nicely summarises my key objection to ANY kind of economic immigration to the UK. Same applies for skilled labour and white collar jobs - cut off the immigrant labour supply and it will cause salaries to rise and encourage more young people to train in said occupations. Allow immigrants in and the local skills shortage is perpetuated indefinitely. This is whats happening in IT for example. Also there is the hidden cost of having to give benefits to those displaced.

+1

NuLabour seemed to have been happy to see a system that created a form of imported servitude.

Err you forgot to read the last word I wrote which was NOT .

Exactley we never had a shortage of workers to do these jobs that was my whole point and there will not be a shortage when we stop being flooded with cheap labour.

Why not turn on its head what you have said about the benefits system and look at things a different way i.e.

The lax benefits system is not the problem, low pay and very high taxes at the lower end of earnings is the problem coupled with very high costs to buy/rent and run a home . The benefits system pays just enough to survive unless you have loads of kids then you can do well on it especially if one of your kids can be classed with a special need. For the single or married without children the benefits system will put a roof over the head exempt you from Council Tax ( which is not really a benefits just a tax that you don't pay anymore ) and give you a few quid to live on.

The big problem in this country is that so many jobs (due to cheap labour undercutting wages ) on the lower rung of the ladder do not even pay for the essentials of existance.

PS - As someone else pointed out this probably changes depenindg where you live in the country.

Really glad you pointed that bit out

" this probably changes depending where you live in the country."

So you are agreeing that where there are no immigrants or very few immigrants the British do do the jobs. IM GALD THAT YOU AGREE THE BRITISH DO DO THE JOBS but makes your first post saying that they did not do the jobs WRONG .

THANKS AGAIN .

Yep - cant be making it easy for people not to do shitty jobs. Shitty jobs have always had to be done. Except today people can choose not to do them and have a similar quality fo life. Totally ******ed up situation.

The problems are a poor work ethic of many in the UK - and the ridiculous benefits system that results in a lot of them being allowed to sit and do nothing all day.

Always a silver lining to any cloud. :D

Yep. This is a situation that has a few different 'causes' and issues to overcome.

Problem being it has been going on for so long - it is not going to be easy to change.

Utter bullcrap. It is not laziness but rather as i stated before the balance of reward vs risk/effort.

Have IT workers and potential It workers in the UK suddenly become lazy over the past few years?

Do science workers and potential science workers also have this inbuilt genetic predispostion to suddenly becoming lazy?

Do we now too have a new biological strain, a genetically different breed of financial uberschmen willing to work all hours of the day, arising in our midst?

Are there similar occurances in multiple different sectors of our economy?

Or is what your posting really utter bullcrap, and its all simply a case of reward vs risk/effort? And letting in foreign workers shortcircuits this economic mechanism in a self-defeating manner?