House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thedoyle

Help On Legal Advive Needed

i took out a tennency, in october 2009. the contract was a 6 month long. i havnt been presented with a new contract at the end of it but have been living in the property since then. now i mised a payment last month and now have 3 day before legal proceedings begin.

Ive been told that if i have no contract then theres nothing binding me to pay the landlord. Does anybody know if this is actually true?

i took out a tennency, in october 2009. the contract was a 6 month long. i havnt been presented with a new contract at the end of it but have been living in the property since then. now i mised a payment last month and now have 3 day before legal proceedings begin.

Ive been told that if i have no contract then theres nothing binding me to pay the landlord. Does anybody know if this is actually true?

You entered into an Assured Short-hold Tenancy for a 6 month period. When that period expires, in the event that a new tenancy agreement is not entered into, the tenancy will automatically continues as a Statutory Periodic Tenancy until it is terminated.

Secondly a contract can be formed orally, in writing or by conduct. The absence of a written and signed document does not invalidate a contract.

So yes you are bound by the terms of a tenancy.

I would be surprised if legal proceedings start so quickly. Your landlord has probably written threatening to start action to regain possession if the rent is not paid by a specified date. You still have some time to negotiate how to pay the arrears.

You entered into an Assured Short-hold Tenancy for a 6 month period. When that period expires, in the event that a new tenancy agreement is not entered into, the tenancy will automatically continues as a Statutory Periodic Tenancy until it is terminated.

Secondly a contract can be formed orally, in writing or by conduct. The absence of a written and signed document does not invalidate a contract.

So yes you are bound by the terms of a tenancy.

I would be surprised if legal proceedings start so quickly. Your landlord has probably written threatening to start action to regain possession if the rent is not paid by a specified date. You still have some time to negotiate how to pay the arrears.

And if he has started legal proceedings he will be wasting his time.

You have to be 2 months in arrears before a court will do anything