House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Japan Disaster... What I Find Distasteful About The British Media

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but when there is a disaster abroad the media fixates on British nationals. Never mind 10,000 dead Japanese, there's a missing Brit!

I can see the reasoning behind it, but really, isn't it disrespectful to highlight one individual when so many foreigners have surely perished?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3463069/Relief-as-missing-quake-Brit-found.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

A BRITISH teacher working just miles from the epicentre of the Japanese quake has finally been found to the relief of her relatives

The parents of missing Hannah Craggs, living in the Japanese city of Sendai, were anxiously awaiting news of their daughter yesterday.

The 27-year-old, from Wolverhampton, West Mids, had not been heard from for more than 30 hours.

But at 8pm local time last night she managed to get a message to her parents through Facebook as they began to fear the worst.

:blink:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but when there is a disaster abroad the media fixates on British nationals. Never mind 10,000 dead Japanese, there's a missing Brit!

I can see the reasoning behind it, but really, isn't it disrespectful to highlight one individual when so many foreigners have surely perished?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3463069/Relief-as-missing-quake-Brit-found.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

:blink:

I've always found it a bit off, but it seems pretty standard. I found the same in Canada and when I was in the US in 2004 at the time of the tsunami, the headline news was the Victoria's Secret model who was missing....

There's a long history of sensationalist and parochial journalism (applies to all countries, not just Blighty). This book describes it in the 1960s and 1970s in coverage of foreign affairs by Edward Behr...

39d18149e7a0d965fc72d110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This isn't a Brit thing, it's a human nature thing.

If there had been a major disaster in London, you can bet the Japanese media would focus on any of their own who happened to be missing. It doesn't mean nobody cares about all the others.

This isn't a Brit thing, it's a human nature thing.

If there had been a major disaster in London, you can bet the Japanese media would focus on any of their own who happened to be missing. It doesn't mean nobody cares about all the others.

I had not idea at all that those Japanese people even existed until I heard it on the news. Now they tell me they are dead and so no longer exist. Why am I supposed to care that something I did not know to exist, now does not exist? I am in exactly the same position I was before this news.

Indeed why not go further and ask why the media need to tell us about the earthquake at all? (Except that we might notice suspiciously-rising European car prices etc. in the next few months!)

What I find more distasteful, is the media talking about the affects that the earthquake has on the markets.

What I find more distasteful, is the media talking about the affects that the earthquake has on the markets.

Why? It al means different things to different people. My wife found out on Friday she's losing her job, right now I couldn't care less about Japan. I have more pressing issues.

Isn't that the main reason most of us come to HPC, to work out the economic effects of every event? In the next few days and weeks this will be discussed at length on here, after the initial shock has subsided.

Isn't that the main reason most of us come to HPC, to work out the economic effects of every event? In the next few days and weeks this will be discussed at length on here, after the initial shock has subsided.

Maybe, but right now it is inappropriate.

I had not idea at all that those Japanese people even existed until I heard it on the news. Now they tell me they are dead and so no longer exist. Why am I supposed to care that something I did not know to exist, now does not exist? I am in exactly the same position I was before this news.

Yep. This is basically what I think. The pictures of the devastation are interesting etc but ...

Im looking towards the HD surround sound version of the China Syndrome at 7PM, BBC HD, tonight, followed by the Towering Inferno in SENSURROUND, and lastly the The story of Noah on Bible FM.

It is very appropriate for a country already on the economic brink prior to this disaster with poor support for the leadership. The economy is key to recovery from this disaster, loss of two nuclear plants has some really important consequences.

It's not as if the media harp on about their economy, its a footnote at the moment but an important one. Even the BBC have said the gov is just fire fighting at the moment with all the problems.

Empathy?

It is very appropriate for a country already on the economic brink prior to this disaster with poor support for the leadership. The economy is key to recovery from this disaster, loss of two nuclear plants has some really important consequences.

It's not as if the media harp on about their economy, its a footnote at the moment but an important one. Even the BBC have said the gov is just fire fighting at the moment with all the problems.

I agree, but at the moment 10,000+ people have lost their lives.

To put it into perspective 10,000 people is half the population of the Town where I live.

I agree, but at the moment 10,000+ people have lost their lives.

To put it into perspective 10,000 people is half the population of the Town where I live.

To put it into another perspective, 10,000 is a tiny portion of the population of the city/county/country where I live. I take your point, but to shelve discussion of the wider implications just because of the immediate issues is counter-productive. It's not as if the media are harping about, say, share prices or house prices, in fact the media always concentrate on the human element regardless of what the news is.

Edit: I would also add that it is tiny compared to how many people die from, say, malaria or D&V in Africa every year, but that would cloud the emotionality of the discussion.

To put it into another perspective, 10,000 is a tiny portion of the population of the city/county/country where I live. I take your point, but to shelve discussion of the wider implications just because of the immediate issues is counter-productive. It's not as if the media are harping about, say, share prices or house prices, in fact the media always concentrate on the human element regardless of what the news is.

Edit: I would also add that it is tiny compared to how many people die from, say, malaria or D&V in Africa every year, but that would cloud the emotionality of the discussion.

I am not disagreeing with you, but who gives a fc uk whether or not the the value of money has been affected in the slightest when people have died

A lot of the coverage, particularly from the bbc has been a disgrace.

Agreed, and Sky has been awful too, mainly being l fixated with the nuclear plants and referring to hydrogen explosion as if it were like an H-bomb. I personally think some of the journalists at the beeb and Sky are a bit sick, and would love a serious nuclear event to give more to report.

I have been trying to find out info about some of the islands and places like Matsushima, Ishinomaki which I have visited, but not a single mention (except for he trashed fighter aircraft photos). Instead we keep hearing from journalists on expenses in Tokyo and Brits who've been back packing.

I've now stopped looking at the BBC and Sky and I am just watching NHK instead.

I am not disagreeing with you, but who gives a fc uk whether or not the the value of money has been affected in the slightest when people have died

Oh I'm sure there are some emotionless sociopaths who are sharpening their knives for the market tomorrow, but from what I have seen of the media, the economic discussions are relevant. For example, Haiti hasn't exactly risen like a phoenix from its disaster, has it? Japan faces some severe economic tests directly resulting from this disaster, and the implications are far and wide, and of course, particularly so for the survivors of the disaster.

Agreed, and Sky has been awful too, mainly being l fixated with the nuclear plants and referring to hydrogen explosion as if it were like an H-bomb. I personally think some of the journalists at the beeb and Sky are a bit sick, and would love a serious nuclear event to give more to report.

I have been trying to find out info about some of the islands and places like Matsushima, Ishinomaki which I have visited, but not a single mention (except for he trashed fighter aircraft photos). Instead we keep hearing from journalists on expenses in Tokyo and Brits who've been back packing.

I've now stopped looking at the BBC and Sky and I am just watching NHK instead.

+1

All slavering with excitement at the prospect of a mushroom cloud type explosion, the news channels will have an expert in the studio asking leading questions, trying desperately to be the ones to report the end of mankind. The expert calmly explains that there will be no nuclear explosion, minimal radio-active leakage etc and I swear the reporters act disappointed, ignore the expert and carry on *****ing each other off over a grainy image of a massive cuboid building popping its roof off.

I ******ing hate the media.

+1

All slavering with excitement at the prospect of a mushroom cloud type explosion, the news channels will have an expert in the studio asking leading questions, trying desperately to be the ones to report the end of mankind. The expert calmly explains that there will be no nuclear explosion, minimal radio-active leakage etc and I swear the reporters act disappointed, ignore the expert and carry on *****ing each other off over a grainy image of a massive cuboid building popping its roof off.

I ******ing hate the media.

If you have the guile to ignore the media you just get invited to the other side, being rich, avoiding the normal people and building a wider gap between them.

Empathy?

To what end? I guess to be sympathetic to the feelings of anyone who may have lost someone near and dear.

To someone disconnected from the event though it probably is just stats on a screen. You can't change it, you can't make it better so why become emotionally involved?

To me it simply shows the fragile nature of life, and serves as a reminder that like the 150,000 people who die every day.. I will one day be among their number.

In the end it matters not a jot.