House Price Crash Forum
RDW

It's Reality Boss

Hi All,

I need your help,

I work in a company that largely serves the industrial and commercial (factories and shops) sectors of the market, although a lot of our contracts are 'government' funded eg Serco.

Yesterday, I posted our year to date selling figures to my sales director, both volumes and revenues are down against budget and last year, his retort was

"Basically, we are sh*t"

I want to write a short report that says that we, as a business, need to face reality, government funding is down, gdp and activity is down, business closures and competition is up, etc etc, you get the idea.

Do any of you hpcers have any ideas of how I should compose this report and any facts or figures that I could draw on to support my analysis.

I don't want to write 'War and Peace', just a few substantiated bullet points about why running to stand still is not good enough.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

In my experience telling truth to power is the fastest route to redundancy- may not apply to your situation of course, but worth bearing in mind as a rule of thumb.

Most employers are of the opionion that reality is what they pay you circumvent. The common phrase used is 'Don't bring me problems, bring me solutions! ' :lol:

Edited by wonderpup

In my experience telling truth to power is the fastest route to redundancy- may not apply to your situation of course, but worth bearing in mind as a rule of thumb.

Most employers are of the opionion that reality is what they pay you circumvent. The common phrase used is 'Don't bring me problems, bring me solutions! ' :lol:

+1

If your boss hasn't worked out their problems then your report will fall on deaf ears.

If he does understand it then a report informing him of what he knows is pointless.

If you have some insightful ideas to make things better then get writing; I suggest you max 4 pages, just headline the issues and your solutions.

Although wonderpup is sneering at the concept, actually the only useful contribution IS a solution. There are loads of people who can just moan and say it's all cr@p (often they spend a lot of time on internet forums doing just that.........).

Edited by bogbrush

I want to write a short report that says that we, as a business, need to face reality, government funding is down, gdp and activity is down, business closures and competition is up, etc etc, you get the idea.

Do any of you hpcers have any ideas of how I should compose this report and any facts or figures that I could draw on to support my analysis.

I may have got this wrong, and if so please accept my apologies in advance; but it sounds like you're looking to document a bunch of excuses for why the company is sh*t, into a report for your Sales Director. Is that right? If so, it sounds like the "Weaknesses and Threats" bit of a SWOT analysis, which is pretty weak stuff.

Also, looking at the basic facts you present about the position your company is in, then you're coming up to some redundancies pretty darn soon. By doing what I think you're suggesting, then IMHO you're putting your head on a great big stick, with "ooh ooh, make me redundant first" tattooed across your forehead.

My advice, if you're interested, would be to do the rest of the SWOT analysis - look at the strengths of your business, and the opportunities out there; there must be market sectors, geographies, and other opportunities where you could go hunting for business, that you're not working in currently, and if nothing else your competitors must have some weaknesses that you could exploit and take some market share off them. It's worth doing, even if it's at a lower margin - and remember the most common reason for companies going bust is running out of cash, NOT operating for a short period on lower margins.

In short, if you want to keep your job I'd strongly suggest that you start looking for solutions and ways out, not wasting time documenting a bunch of excuses.

Just my two cents....

Good luck with the project and with the future. And good on you, because at least you're thinking about doing something proactive, rather than just panicking in the headlights and trying to work out what you're entitled to (which will be the square root of f**k all if you work in the private sector I'm afraid..)

B

If your boss hasn't worked out their problems then your report will fall on deaf ears.

If he does understand it then a report informing him of what he knows is pointless.

If you have some insightful ideas to make things better then get writing; I suggest you max 4 pages, just headline the issues and your solutions.

Although wonderpup is sneering at the concept, actually the only useful contribution IS a solution. There are loads of people who can just moan and say it's all cr@p (often they spend a lot of time on internet forums doing just that.........).

+1000

+1

Hmm, I take your points, so the outside world doesn't exist and the sales force should be ridden harder, that'll do it.

Hmm, I take your points, so the outside world doesn't exist and the sales force should be ridden harder, that'll do it.

Ok Thanks for the pointers guys, I'm glad I asked you.

1. Moaning about the state of the nation is not going to do me or my cause any good.

2. I need to offer some solutions, I like the sound of a SWOT analysis for the business, so that we can attempt to get our seleves out of the hole we are currently getting in.

3. I still think and need to convey that the boss 'faces reality' although I will try to be more subtle in how I communicate this.

4. As a company we have made a conscious decision not to cut any more capacity, or we will just kill ourselves with cuts, we are going to grow ourselves out of this situation.

..suggest you do analysis of your customers sales for previous two years and the current year under analysis to see where the drops in sales have been ...you could break them down on a spreadsheet with government spend dependency and not ... this should pin the major drops ..recommend a switch in your target market to plug gaps....just a thought.... :)

...ps ..include in your Opportunities

Edited by South Lorne

Tell me this is a wind up? You haven't stated what you do as a living and where your level in the said company is, yet you want to effectively make comments about strategic direction!

Sorry, I just can't take this seriously.

Tell me this is a wind up? You haven't stated what you do as a living and where your level in the said company is, yet you want to effectively make comments about strategic direction!

Sorry, I just can't take this seriously.

My position is Senior Financial Analyst and I work for one of the largest waste management companies in the country.

Oh so the boss hasn't followed HPC for the last 6 years...?? oh dear, hasn't everyone else? This country is in for one big wake up call.

The best idea is to play it dumm and just offer a 100% positive report on ways to move forward rather than attribute blame or make excuses even though the smallest solutions look stupid e.g. stop ordering disposable cups for the water dispenser in the canteens (what I've seen).

Many company owners/bosses are surrouned by yes-men over time, why? They last longer in their jobs, sadly.

Edited by Money Spinner

Present the facts and figures as they are.

Offer a clinical summary/conclusion.

Offer no opinion.

Add proposals or ideas that you have identified as a way forward but only as possibilities, I wouldnt try to sell them.

Remember..... the nail that sticks out gets hammered flat.

My position is Senior Financial Analyst and I work for one of the largest waste management companies in the country.

Yes, I thought you were in a responsible position - from many posts passim.

FWIW then, say nothing. Once your profile gets raised, its equivalent to writing your name on the redundancy list. Time will tell - but look after number one.

Writing reports; I suggest anyone who does this for a living, is to write a "template" report which can reused again and again.

There are many annual and interim reports that can be used from http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-home.html?newsSource=ANN&nameCode=&headlineId=&ftseIndex=&sectorCode=&text=&newsPerPage=20&rbDate=released&preDate=Last3Months which are from the CEOs to their shareholders to plagiarise from. Sure there is a lot of BS and pseudo-deluded CEOs out there, but that's how the western corporate world works. The most negative phrase you'll ever get is "challenging environment" in those reports.

Edited by Money Spinner

Remember..... the nail that sticks out gets hammered flat.

Unfortunately, in my position, I do not have the luxury of keeping my head below the ramparts, management want to know my opinion, which, along with the rest of you hpcers, is that we are going to hell in a hand cart, which is why I came here.

I need to convey this, but also offer some upbeat 'happy clappy' solutions at the same time.

Unfortunately, in my position, I do not have the luxury of keeping my head below the ramparts, management want to know my opinion, which, along with the rest of you hpcers, is that we are going to hell in a hand cart, which is why I came here.

I need to convey this, but also offer some upbeat 'happy clappy' solutions at the same time.

ah, I see, well if they want your opinions then just be clinical about it. Maybe stand back and think about what KPMG would say/recommend if they were called in.

Is there anything that you can offer as hope?

Maybe you should wait until the morning for someone sensible to come along and help :)

Edited by richyc

bizarrely, all of the opinions above are right!

if you go negative, you are writing a suicide note

if you fail to provide SOME solutions, you are writing a suicide note

so - state the facts (and make sure they ARE the facts, not your opinion.

can you get any intel for/from your competitors? nothing quite so handy as showing that your are doing less worse than peers

highlight strengths (good cust relationships, future possible growth areas)

propose a strategic timescale for change (and when presenting, you could also try to get that gig)

and....have a backup plan. start polishing your CV, and taking any IP you can (legally)

good luck

and....have a backup plan. start polishing your CV, and taking any IP you can (legally)

From day 1 as an employee, you must be feathering your own nest, readying your parachute, having a plan B.

Can I mention Sir Fred Goodwin? Can I mention the thousands of directors in history who have been selling their shares and paying themselves massive bonuses and payrises in the final days of the company life, whilst telling shareholders all is well, and the future is bright? This is the real Liars Poker.

Agree with much of what's been written. Chances are that your boss already knows there's a problem. They generally have access to more info than you.

Offering warnings or problems will get you nowhere. I've been there. Instead focus on developing skills that will be useful in your job or outside of it. Develop other streams of income so you aren't dependent on the day job for basic expenses. Offering up easy to implement solutions that increase sales/ profit may get you somewhere. Give these to the boss casually and be happy if they get the credit for them.

On day one at any company you should be trying to gauge from old hands what happens during downturns and how others managed to stay (assuming you want to).

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

I'm not in finance but write reports to similar people. Before you write things down you can't take back, sounding out a few more people sOmeime helps. Obviously you're in a difficult position but maybe approach other people and ask them wha they think are the opportunities. Perhaps even setup a meeting to get that info (the org will know more than you).

Oh so the boss hasn't followed HPC for the last 6 years...?? oh dear, hasn't everyone else? This country is in for one big wake up call.

The best idea is to play it dumm and just offer a 100% positive report on ways to move forward rather than attribute blame or make excuses even though the smallest solutions look stupid e.g. stop ordering disposable cups for the water dispenser in the canteens (what I've seen).

Many company owners/bosses are surrouned by yes-men over time, why? They last longer in their jobs, sadly.

Christ you'be been in the wrong places haven't you?

Hi All,

I need your help,

I work in a company that largely serves the industrial and commercial (factories and shops) sectors of the market, although a lot of our contracts are 'government' funded eg Serco.

Yesterday, I posted our year to date selling figures to my sales director, both volumes and revenues are down against budget and last year, his retort was

"Basically, we are sh*t"

I don't want to write 'War and Peace', just a few substantiated bullet points about why running to stand still is not good enough.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Look, there's a lot of contradictory advice on here but if you boil all the cr@p off you're left with a few things;

1. If you believe the company will fail without change then you're losing your job anyway, so nothing more to lose is there?

2. If your boss is part of the solution then level with him, if he isn't then find out who is and talk to them.

3. If you want to be seen as a pencil pushing clerk then act like one; write bland reports. If you believe you are something more than that then act like it. The report doesn't have to be beautifully crafted, it just needs to show maturity about the market and competitive position you're in and a sensible way forward.

4. Don't rely on a written report; what will matter is if you can articulate your views in a rational, calm and useful way. Nobody gives a sh1t about panic-striken doomsayers, they are a waste of breath.

5. Make sure that part of your solution involves you doing stuff, that it's not just a list of stuff other people should do better. Nobody likes the guy who just points the finger.

Hell, depending on how thorough your work is and how clear you are about what you can do to implement it you may get given the job of doing it, or at least pulled onto the team of the guy who will.

There are people on this thread telling you to play it safe. Ignore them unless they can tell you how that worked out so well for them. Actually, scrub that. Just ignore them.

Edited by bogbrush