House Price Crash Forum
ralphmalph

It Has Often Been Asked What Does The Uk Make And Export?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1365303/Medicines-motor-cars-alcohol-The-exports-driving-overseas-sales-25billion-record-high.html

It is the mail so forget the headlines. But as well as replacing the Brown lost years it also looks like we will need to replace the oil exports in the future as well.

I am surprised that there is no defence equipment on the list as well as BAE, Chobham, etc are all big exporters or so I thought.

It's just that so many household names have disappeared; when people don't see any British names in the kitchen, driveway or in their clothes they erroneously assume there's nothing locally produced there.

However, about 25%+++ by value of a typical car is electronics, an awful lot of which is designed if not fabbed in the UK.

The only problem with our exports is our imports - we've been over-consuming.

I am surprised that there is no defence equipment on the list as well as BAE, Chobham, etc are all big exporters or so I thought.

Doesn't a lot of that stuff get exported as 'agricultural machinery' and the like?

I notice that 'Pearls and Precious stones' make #10 on the list. It's been a while since I did geography but I don't recall pearl diving and diamond mining as being big employers in the UK

I would guess that this list includes a fair bit of assembling and finishing being passed off as manufacturing and doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot if a large % of the export value is offset by the associated import costs

edit: but, hey, the UK 'manufactures' silver and platinum @ #20, cool

Edited by Charlton Peston

It's just that so many household names have disappeared; when people don't see any British names in the kitchen, driveway or in their clothes they erroneously assume there's nothing locally produced there.

However, about 25%+++ by value of a typical car is electronics, an awful lot of which is designed if not fabbed in the UK.

The only problem with our exports is our imports - we've been over-consuming.

Just because it sounds British or it used to be British it is still British........the owners of many old British companies and names are now foreign owned. ;)

DIVERSITY

Here, we set out our plan for World domination:

There are some golden rules that all employers and employees should know:

• All employees and employers must take action as soon as they become aware of any inappropriate behaviour. Taking no action shouldn't be an option yet research suggests this is the most frequent response. It is the impact of the behaviour that is important, not the intent. If someone finds the behaviour inappropriate, it does not matter if it was only intended as a joke or a bit of fun.
  • Under their vicarious liability and duty of protection, employers are responsible for ensuring that the workplace is free from bullying and harassment. There are specific anti-discrimination provisions relating to harassment of particular groups of people, including disabled people.
  • It is important to remember that social events can be a continuation of the workplace. This covers events such as office parties and can include things like drinks after work on a Friday in the local pub. At these times, organisational policies and employment legislation still apply.
  • Bullying, harassment and victimisation often involve the same types of behaviour. Whilst there is no legislation against bullying itself, there are six critical pieces of employment legislation that protect employees from harassment and victimisation and one key piece of civil legislation.
Edited by Bloo Loo

Where are arms exports? I had always believed that this was one of our most profitable exports but may well be way off.

aircraft, telecoms equipment, motor parts, electrical equipment, chemical products, etc etc

the most expensive components of weapons systems are not necessarily the bits that explode or go whirring into people

Edited by Charlton Peston

aircraft, telecoms equipment, motor parts, electrical equipment, chemical products, etc etc

the most expensive components of weapons systems are not necessarily the bits that explode or go whirring into people

I did wonder if maybe they were broken down into components but figured it beyond government employees to be clever enough work out how to hide the figures in such a way. :D

I did wonder if maybe they were broken down into components but figured it beyond government employees to be clever enough work out how to hide the figures in such a way. :D

I think someone probably gives them a hand

As well as being mis-categorised as benign items, some arms sales are contracted at reduced or zero cost as they are paid for out of overseas aid credits

The essence of successful bull**** is that the really top-notch exponents not only manage to convince others but also manage to delude themselves.

The bullshine exponents are pretty successful at convincing "others" that is a lot of the people in the UK who are given daily swampings of bullshine and they also manage to delude themselves BUT they don't convince most people beyond the UK's shores.

The financial sector has been so cossetted, pampered and preferentially spoon fed over the years that it's resulted in the rest of the economy (apart from a few exceptions) in general going into long term decline.

Clegg and the LibDems are right now on TV on bullshine duty getting all worked up about how wonderful things are and will be. Yeah yeah yeah tell it to the Marines.

Edited by billybong

Why are mercenaries not on the list... or rather military advisors?

As of 4 weeks ago I know 6 military advisors three of whom work in Iraq and one in Afganistan, two are retired. All ex Paras or ex Marines.

Why are mercenaries not on the list... or rather military advisors?

As of 4 weeks ago I know 6 military advisors three of whom work in Iraq and one in Afganistan, two are retired. All ex Paras or ex Marines.

Because this would be an export of services not manufactured goods, unless we are now making Terminators!

Manufacturing makes up a tiny 12% of our GDP.

This figure needs to rise to 40% of GDP to replace the non-productive parts of the state over the next 20 years.

But if ~40-50% of GDP is the public sector, 12% is actually pretty big, no? How much does 'financial services' account for?

Because this would be an export of services not manufactured goods, unless we are now making Terminators!

Who cares? At this point we might be better off selling over priced houses to balance the books.

I bought some UK made clothes from celtic sheepskin , cost more but are higher quality as you would expect.

Can't work out why military equipment isn't on the list though.

I would guess that this list includes a fair bit of assembling and finishing being passed off as manufacturing and doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot if a large % of the export value is offset by the associated import costs

edit: but, hey, the UK 'manufactures' silver and platinum @ #20, cool

I would say that the list itself has been subject to a fair bit of "assembling and finishing". There are a fair number of items that I would put in one group and as you quite rightly point out, we certainly don't 'manufacture' quite a few things on there.

Another example of statistic manipulation that masks the truth.

Also i would be interested to know how much exports are imported whole goods that are then exported out again mostly via the internet (google , amazon etc)

Financial wizardry.

Yes, it's a big earner.

I don't see why though. At it's core banking is basic maths combined with a bit of common sense (essential to manage risk adequately), how has this been turned into a multi $billion industry?

It's magic

Edited by Chef