House Price Crash Forum
maxdiver

Grocery Shopping In The Uk

Just came back from the shops.

2 minutes up the street there is a Co-op and now a fancy self-service style Sainsbury's.

I wanted to buy something bubbly for the g/f, some chocolates, beer and hot cross buns.

The thing that galled me was the prices of everything - all rounded up to the nearest pound.

I saw on the shelf, a 400g box of Roses for £3 - "I'll get these" said I.

Went to pay and I was informed by the Nigerian guy that they were £4.20 - but 2 for £6.

I went to show him where it was advertised as being £3 - but he said the price tag was out of date.

I ended up buying another box as a gift for someone else - but it pisses me off to be ripped off all the time!!!

The other shop is even worse, the staff (1 or 2 at most it seems) have not put the right labels anywhere and the prices are all wrong.

Instead of prices coming down in the area - these shops seem to be conspiring to raise prices.

The 2 for 1s are all over priced - even at the bogof price.

It's quite sad really.

2 minutes up the street there is a Co-op and now a fancy self-service style Sainsbury's.

I wanted to buy something bubbly for the g/f, some chocolates, beer and hot cross buns.

The thing that galled me was the prices of everything - all rounded up to the nearest pound.

Went to pay and I was informed by the Nigerian guy that they were £4.20 - but 2 for £6.

I went to show him where it was advertised as being £3 - but he said the price tag was out of date.

I ended up buying another box as a gift for someone else - but it pisses me off to be ripped off all the time!!!

The other shop is even worse, the staff (1 or 2 at most it seems) have not put the right labels anywhere and the prices are all wrong.

Instead of prices coming down in the area - these shops seem to be conspiring to raise prices.

It's quite sad really.

By Law the shop should honour the displayed price out of date or not. If it said 3 quid they should have charged you 3 quid. Write and complain

to happy smiley Justin King.

It's quite sad really.

Sainsburys 2009 to 2010

Justin King £2,048,000 to £3,348,000 (+63%)

Mike Coupe £937,000 to £1,407,000 (+50%)

Darren Shapland £967,000 to £1,542,000 (59%)

http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/ar10/downloads/pdf/Sainsburys_AR10_Full.pdf

I bought some baked beans in Tesco on special a few months ago. When I got to the checkout they explained to me that the sign had gone out of date that morning.

Tesco then gave me the baked beans for free which is their policy apparently.

It's quite sad really.

At least your girlfriend isnt noticing the economy crumbling whilst you treat her like a princess, Roses, beer and hot cross buns....how special she must feel :lol:

Seriously though, why didnt you just walk out? I would have. I find that they give in easiest if you are holding up a large que or have just filled a conveyor belt with the contents of a trolley but it is always worth arguing. What is the worst that can happen? If they dont yield then just go somewhere else.

By Law the shop should honour the displayed price out of date or not. If it said 3 quid they should have charged you 3 quid. Write and complain

Not correct. The law allows you as a customer to 'offer to entreat' - ie: offer to buy the goods at the price displayed. If they refuse, there's sod'all you can do about it. Check it out !

I'd still write to Justin King, though. :)

Edited by johnny5thumbs

If they refuse, there's sod'all you can do about it.

yes you can.

Next time you go in there you can take out some ice cream and lamb chops from the freezer and leave them on a shelf, they lose more than they con from you and you feel better :D

It's quite sad really.

After living outside of the UK for some time I recently returned and noticed that the pricing in supermarkets, especially the 'local' and 'metro' style stores, had become markedly more chaotic and confusing since I've been away. Knowing how scientific the big supermarkets are about all of their practices I have little doubt that this is A. deliberate and B. works to their advantage in some way

Edited by Charlton Peston

It's quite sad really.

Always worth arguing the toss. Generally the staff are so clueless and under trained they will cave.

I got a comment at work today.... I was asked if I had gone vegan... I asked why they thought this...

They'd not seen me eat any meat or animal products for the past couple of weeks... thinking about it, I've not bought any meat products or animal products in ages... It's just all so expensive, I'm eating more potatoes (can't beat a 20kilo bag for £5.90) and more oats. I dream of my time in Mongolia though. A plate piled high with tons of meat for only £2!

that is clear nonsense, there is no business case for a proper pricing policy...Diversity is so much more 2011:

"Overall I think the Diversity Works for London Gold standard is very good, it's what everyone wants to see simple, clear and actionable. The business case descriptor is one of the best I've seen in terms of offering real clarity."

Caroline Waters, BT - Director, People Networks BT Group

After living outside of the UK for some time I recently returned and noticed that the pricing in supermarkets, especially the 'local' and 'metro' style stores, had become markedly more chaotic and confusing since I've been away. Knowing how scientific the big supermarkets are about all of their practices I have little doubt that this is A. deliberate and B. works to their advantage in some way

smaller shops are blatantly ripping people off or just incompetent.

Supermarkets bank on the stupidity of the average mathematically illiterate Brit. They deliberately try to hide the true price of items by listing them as price per 100g next to a similar item priced per kilo next to a similar item showing drained weight. They expect people to continue assuming that bigger is cheaper because of bulk.

They also use price per 100ml and per litre in the same way.

Other times when it is not favourable to list the ridiculous cost by weight then they list pence per item of a packet next to items priced per kilo. If you check packet weights and can do basic arithmetic then you will see why.

I have noticed tesco and sainsbury trying a new scam. They show price per 100ml of say a sauce bottle, the larger version of the sauce is priced per litre. You work out that the larger bottle is more expensive but it is on offer with x% off so one is left to assume that it must be the cheaper of the sizes because of the reduction in price. What they have been doing though is listing the price per litre of the discounted product not the price pre discount.

To be fair though, their offers almost always ring up at the till unlike safeway. Safeway have everything on offer yet the price on the receipt is always full price because the tills dint recognise the offer :rolleyes:

I got a comment at work today.... I was asked if I had gone vegan... I asked why they thought this...

They'd not seen me eat any meat or animal products for the past couple of weeks... thinking about it, I've not bought any meat products or animal products in ages... It's just all so expensive, I'm eating more potatoes (can't beat a 20kilo bag for £5.90) and more oats. I dream of my time in Mongolia though. A plate piled high with tons of meat for only £2!

you should talk the diversity team...clearly, your colleagues could learn a thing or two

http://www.diversityworksforlondon.com/server/show/nav.006012001

I think Shahid is your person.

smaller shops are blatantly ripping people off or just incompetent.

The subject of possible incompetence comes up a lot in this forum in many different guises. My take is that if I'm out of pocket more than 50% of the time then the entity with its hand in my pockets is not incompetent

Totally agree with the dodges you've pointed out

Happened to me at a new Tesco Express nearby last year. They clearly had a pack of cans of tuna, John West I think as these express shops tend to forego the value range, at half price. When I got to the till, the grinning immigrant said, or tried to say, that this particular deal ended two days previously.

Well, I went into tirade mode and this nonentity kept grinning at me and mumbling something like 'is there anything else you want?'

Waitrose it has been ever since. English speaking workers and lots of MILFs to ogle while I browse the vegetables.

Happened to me at a new Tesco Express nearby last year. They clearly had a pack of cans of tuna, John West I think as these express shops tend to forego the value range, at half price. When I got to the till, the grinning immigrant said, or tried to say, that this particular deal ended two days previously.

Well, I went into tirade mode and this nonentity kept grinning at me and mumbling something like 'is there anything else you want?'

I had a similar experience in sainsburys about 3 years ago. The smile on the face of the employee soon dropped when I walked off and left him with a fully trolley worth of goods on his conveyor belt and went to tesco instead.

you should talk the diversity team...clearly, your colleagues could learn a thing or two

http://www.diversity...w/nav.006012001

I think Shahid is your person.

You get serious brain chemical/bodily imbalances if you don't know what you are doing on veg/vegan only diets.

You basically go nuts without realising it - so eat plenty.

Maybe they were not being very nice :o

Thread downturn - Hitler was a Rosi-veggie! :ph34r:

Didn't Adam Smith in the Wealth of Nations comment on how eating potatoes was responsible for how good looking the Irish women were? At least compared to the general hideousness of his compatriots.

But, I agree with you about meat. You travel a lot so get to a place where they raise livestock and partake in the killing and eating of fresh meat. Nothing better than wiping the blood off your hands after putting a rack over the fire knowing that in a few minutes you will have one of the best meals of your life.

Yeah, but it is all boiled goat!

Snip.

Happened to me at a new Tesco Express nearby last year. They clearly had a pack of cans of tuna, John West I think as these express shops tend to forego the value range, at half price. When I got to the till, the grinning immigrant said, or tried to say, that this particular deal ended two days previous

snip.

I've no idea what relevance the race or country of birth has on the mispricing of goods in a small shop.

Seems to be a minor issue for the op, but more for Meat puppet in particular - did it make it worse having a non indigenous Brit tell you the deal had expired? If so, why? Do native Brits have more of a right to rip off other native Brits? I believe there was a whole sitcom based on this, so perhaps that's the reason the minor clerical error was made into a larger issue.

Seriously, meat puppet, do tell.

I've no idea what relevance the race or country of birth has on the mispricing of goods in a small shop.

Seems to be a minor issue for the op, but more for Meat puppet in particular - did it make it worse having a non indigenous Brit tell you the deal had expired? If so, why? Do native Brits have more of a right to rip off other native Brits? I believe there was a whole sitcom based on this, so perhaps that's the reason the minor clerical error was made into a larger issue.

Seriously, meat puppet, do tell.

Probably the relevance is the difficulty in attempting to explain a problem to someone who has a limited grasp of the English language. Similar to calling a utility company with an issue to be dealt with by someone in India, usually a frustrating ordeal. On my increasingly rare visits to London I am amazed at how widespread the use of immigrant labour is and the stupidity of employing someone in Britain with a 'customer facing role' who can barely string a sentence together in English.

Probably the relevance is the difficulty in attempting to explain a problem to someone who has a limited grasp of the English language. Similar to calling a utility company with an issue to be dealt with by someone in India, usually a frustrating ordeal. On my increasingly rare visits to London I am amazed at how widespread the use of immigrant labour is and the stupidity of employing someone in Britain with a 'customer facing role' who can barely string a sentence together in English.

Dont you just hang up and try again? just like ringing the bank or an insurance company, I always try but if I cant understand them then I hang up. Perseverance isnt worth the hassle anymore, it is easier to try again and get someone that speaks english.

Yes... Buuut it sounds to me that the issue wasn't a language one, more a legal one plus a don't care poor customer service one.

And as we've read, none of the fine native English speakers contributing to this thread is certain of the law. Do they have to honour the price on the sticker or not? Not sure any of the local Yorkshire lasses who served in my old local shop would have given a monkey's either.