House Price Crash Forum

Seriously Tempted To Stop Working

richc

HOLA441

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-33102854.html

Martin Brookes are delighted to offer this amazing 6 bedroom mansion, which has an open plan reception room with real wooden flooring, chandeliers, white walls and a fireplace. It has a beautiful fully fitted huge kitchen with dining area, wine coolers, spotlights, and tiled flooring. The kitchen leads in to a larder which has more kitchen units, a washing machine and sink. The property also has two bathrooms upstairs. . DSS welcomed. Viewing is highly recommended.

Granted, it's in the middle of nowhere, but if you're on benefits, it's not like you need to commute to work. Put in a vegetable plot in the back garden (looks like it's set on an acre or two) and you'd be set.

Why does anyone in this country work?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Around here it's the opposite, 99% will say "No DSS".

Thing is there are many properties like that in the area; I lived in one near Stortford for a few years.

They'll be offering DSS because they'll be struggling to find anyone to take it on.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Go for it. We all should 'down tools'

From 1997 to present Ive worked very hard. Have good qualifications. Good Reputation...etc. Enjoyed my job.

Only to watch house prices rise year after year. So Ive worked for nothing. No pension. No fancy holidays etc. My Bit of savings gradually being eaten away because of the recession.

I know there are many hundreds of thousands in my position. And worse off. So cannot complain. But to get somehwere in this country you have to be a thief. Just ask your local politician.

Now they are 'keeping house prices stable'. Stealing our money to keep them in the manner they are accustomed to.

In other words, they want us to work for nothing for the next ten years as well. Were all debt slaves.

Go burn down a building. It'll make you feel better and no-one could blame you.

Edited by Dan1

HOLA448

Go for it. We all should 'down tools'

From 1997 to present Ive worked very hard. Have good qualifications. Good Reputation...etc. Enjoyed my job.

Only to watch house prices rise year after year. So Ive worked for nothing. No pension. No fancy holidays etc. My Bit of savings gradually being eaten away because of the recession.

I know there are many hundreds of thousands in my position. And worse off. So cannot complain. But to get somehwere in this country you have to be a thief. Just ask your local politician.

Now they are 'keeping house prices stable'. Stealing our money to keep them in the manner they are accustomed to.

In other words, they want us to work for nothing for the next ten years as well. Were all debt slaves.

Go burn down a building. It'll make you feel better and no-one could blame you.

You probably shouldn't tempt me.

I've seen my partner a grand total of 15 minutes this week because he's working so much -- all so that our standard of living can decline by a good 20% this year due to increases in taxes and inflation.

HOLA449

You probably shouldn't tempt me.

I'll help you. Ive had way past enough.

I guess if we didnt all know this site was being watched by the authorities, we'd publish our MP's address's...........

I just wanted a small house, a job. Which I could work for and pay for.

Edited by Dan1

HOLA4410

Define work? does work mean paid work? non paid work? voluntary work? forced work? chosen work? hated work? loved work? ....you have two choices, equality, or we have those with more than they require that are happy to support those with less than they require to maintain the status quo.........the ones left in the middle have the second choice, to go with the flow or act against it, they are the ones that are in effect paying for it. ;)

HOLA4411
Granted, it's in the middle of nowhere, but if you're on benefits, it's not like you need to commute to work. Put in a vegetable plot in the back garden (looks like it's set on an acre or two) and you'd be set.

Because 99% of people on benefits struggle to make ends meet and it's the 1% who aren't struggling that make good stories for the press.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

96 Stevenage & North Herts £76.19 £121.15 £152.31 £183.46 £253.85 £334.62 31 Mar 2011 01 Mar 2011

https://lha-direct.v...chType=PostCode

for SG9 0SX (a guess postcode)

So max DSS rent is 334.62 a week! A WEEK!

1450.02 a month max rent in that area for a doley family.

Better get you application in quick then. In two weeks time the maximum will be cut to £229.62 per week, little more than half-the rent asked for this property. The postcode for the property is SG9 0DX.

http://www.hbupdate.com

The DSS was abolished almost a decade ago (June 2001).

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Because 99% of people on benefits struggle to make ends meet and it's the 1% who aren't struggling that make good stories for the press.

Seriously, Hyperduck, how much more do you want? My partner works 90 hours a week, (literally, I'm not exaggerating), so that we can afford to live in a semi an hour out of London. How much more are people who actually do something supposed to give so that those in the public sector or on benefits can live the high life? This is a flippin' "mansion" that is being marketed to those of benefits.

HOLA4417

Thing is there are many properties like that in the area; I lived in one near Stortford for a few years.

They'll be offering DSS because they'll be struggling to find anyone to take it on.

They are not "offering DSS" with an asking rent of £2,000 pcm. Clearly the listing is in error.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

You'd probably need 4-5 kids to be eligible for that much HB\LHA though...

I'm surprised a wealthy person hasn't snapped this up if it's that good.

Around here it's the opposite, 99% will say "No DSS".

Yes, children of the same sex are expected to share a bedroom until they are 16, or until 10 if different sexes. So you'd have to have at least four children to qualify for a four bedroom house. In reality this property will also be 'No HB'; as we've seen the maximum HB will barely cover half the asking rent.

HOLA4420

They are not "offering DSS" with an asking rent of £2,000 pcm. Clearly the listing is in error.

It's not being marketed specifically to people in receipt of benefits i agree, it’s marketed to anyone that will occupy it.

The place we rented, which was 10 miles or so from there, was similar,

We paid £250 a month each for five people to live in mansion, with a couple of space rooms.

When we left they let it to a dozen or so Poles.

HOLA4421

Probably a better idea a few years ago. Hopefully this Government will actually do something about this mess.

Forget it; the current government's ill-thought out cuts (and "affordable" rent regime for social housing) will make the mess worse. Even the Social Security Advisory Committee thinks that the HB cuts will cause rents to rise in some areas (due to removal of excess payment incentive and reduction in supply of available lets for HB claimants).

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The DSS was abolished almost a decade ago (June 2001). It is not necesary to be a "doley" to claim HB; many HB claimants are working, pensioners, or disabled.

I'm perfectly aware of that, having been on both sides of the jobcentre plus desks. The benefits system is overly complex (8,000 pages of guidance required for staff) and often fails those that actually need it. I should also point that I'm in support of the Single Tax and citizens dividend policies.

HOLA4425

I'm perfectly aware of that, having been on both sides of the jobcentre plus desks. The benefits system is overly complex (8,000 pages of guidance required for staff) and often fails those that actually need it. I should also point that I'm in support of the Single Tax and citizens dividend policies.

:lol::o:(

No wonder you are in support. Give everyone - working or not - £x per week. Allow the markets to adjust, as they will have to, and people on this £x per week will be able to live a very basic - but satisfactory life on this amount.

Simple. Job done.