geezer466

HOLA441
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

If this were true, surely the effect would be largest when we have spring tides, rather than just the moons influence? i.e. when the sun and the moon are in alignment.

Would be a fairly obvious pattern to have picked up. The fact that nobody has shown any evidence that earthquakes are more prevalent in spring / autumn leads me to suspect that it is, actually, pseudoscience and untrue.

The spring tide is just a high tide on the full moon

The tide's range is then at its maximum: this is called the spring tide, or just springs. It is not named after the season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide

HOLA444
HOLA445

This is actually one of the rare occurrences where 24-hour news actually has some use - to give us details of a massive, unfolding, event.

Most of the time they are just trying to fill time by recycling the same old stories and keeping viewers attention by hyping everything up.

well I would agree, except, if you WATCH to news, they repeat everything every 15 minutes and the headline is heralded as something new, then you realise ( for the 10th time) its the same news repeated over and over.

One almost gags for a new picture....so then the channel hopping..and its more or less the same on the other 6 24 hours news channels.

Think how much CARBON we would save by having just ONE channel.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA446

They just mentioned on Sky news that a dam has just burst in North-East Japan washing away the homes below. He said in itself it would be considered a huge disaster. He said if it was set up as a scenario for disaster management students it wouldn't be believed.

Probably because of the popular perception that unlike eg Indonesia, countries like Japan had more or less earthquake-proofed themselves.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Anyone care to help me out with this:

Japan quake causes market jitters

TD Securities senior strategist Roland Randall said traders were reacting to the potential impact on Australian exports to our biggest customer.

"What we saw in the aftermath of the earthquake that devastated Japan's Kobe district in 1995 was that the yen initially weakened before recovering very strongly as investors repatriated overseas funds," Mr Randall told BusinessDaily.

However, this is NOT supported by this chart:

Japanese Yen Chart

Tis true that the comments above were book-ended with:

"The Australian dollar lost ground against a basket of currencies.

"Much of those funds are invested in Australian government bonds and bank debt and perhaps equities."

... so maybe the comment was rfering specifically to the Aussie Yen cross rate?? :huh:

HOLA449

well I would agree, except, if you WATCH to news, they repeat everything every 15 minutes and the headline is heralded as something new, then you realise ( for the 10th time) its the same news repeated over and over.

Yes, but presumably they reason that most people won't be watching more or less continuously (like I have today - don't work Fridays) so they're going to repeat everything for the people who are just tuning in for 15 mins.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yes, but presumably they reason that most people won't be watching more or less continuously (like I have today - don't work Fridays) so they're going to repeat everything for the people who are just tuning in for 15 mins.

6 channels...???

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

On the news they are pointing to the Fukushima as the location of the Nuclear power station some distance inland. I just checked on google where they were. They are right on the coast, the sea comes right to the front door. There are two plants close together. One sits in what looks like a cut out.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

BBC:

1841: The situation at the nuclear reactor at Fukushima seems to be worsening. Japanese authorities are now to release radioactive vapour to ease pressure, AP news agency reports. Engineers are trying to fix the cooling system to the main reactor, damaged in the quake.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

a.jpg

On the news they are pointing to the Fukushima as the location of the Nuclear power station some distance inland. I just checked on google where they were. They are right on the coast, the sea comes right to the front door. There are two plants close together. One sits in what looks like a cut out.

On the coast , so that it has access to a big heat dump (ocean,no cooling towers ) and if it blows they might get lucky with the wind direction out to sea away from population

Sea defences look pretty good , the main barrier is also a deflector

Edited by Tankus

HOLA4419

BBC:

1841: The situation at the nuclear reactor at Fukushima seems to be worsening. Japanese authorities are now to release radioactive vapour to ease pressure, AP news agency reports. Engineers are trying to fix the cooling system to the main reactor, damaged in the quake.

shite, I bought silver and forgot to top up on Iodine.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Sounds like they are over reporting. I'm going to guess that they are going to release pressure from the primary coolant circuit, which is not highly radioactive. The whole point of these things is that most of the radiation is contained inside the fuel rods, that is why a melting core is such a bad thing, because loads more radiation is released. There is no indication of that in the reporting. So dumping a bit of pressure from the primary circuit is not a big deal - in fact they want to keep pressure pretty high to keep the boiling temperature high.

The one concern is the lack of availability of cooling. They've had a long time to get the primary or secondary back up, and I don't buy the "generators not working" line. If there is one place where you test the shit out of your backups, it is a nuclear power plant

HOLA4423

Sounds like they are over reporting. I'm going to guess that they are going to release pressure from the primary coolant circuit, which is not highly radioactive. The whole point of these things is that most of the radiation is contained inside the fuel rods, that is why a melting core is such a bad thing, because loads more radiation is released. There is no indication of that in the reporting. So dumping a bit of pressure from the primary circuit is not a big deal - in fact they want to keep pressure pretty high to keep the boiling temperature high.

The one concern is the lack of availability of cooling. They've had a long time to get the primary or secondary back up, and I don't buy the "generators not working" line. If there is one place where you test the shit out of your backups, it is a nuclear power plant

they are a stupid way to boil water

HOLA4424
HOLA4425