House Price Crash Forum

FUKUSHIMA earthquake and tsunami thread and aftermath

geezer466

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasnt a reporter, it was a phoned in "expert" giving his opinion.

Like when you watch F1 on the telly, and a wheel has come off the car, and the commentator says, he thinks there may be a problem with the steering...its like they arent even watching the pictures.

The whirlpool was contained in a area with a long spit going out to sea and the current was clearly going with the diversion of this spit...hence the whirlpool.

and he definately refered to GW.

I have just watched that article again. The reference to GW is completely unrelated to the whirlpool. The 'expert' in question refers to ;Tuvalu in the Pacifc, already threatened by rising sea levels from global warming now faces the prospect of a Tsunami'

There was no suggest whatsoever that the whirlpool was caused by GW.

Nothing like a bit of anti AGW spin on HPC eh? ;)

I was driving late last night and saw the moon. It looked really big. I wondered whether it had been responsible for the very cold weather. Then when I saw the earthquake this morning, I put this together with a recently learnt fact that the earths core is molten because of gravitational friction between large planetary objects, and may have something to do with the earthquakes.

I was driving late last night and saw the moon. It looked really big. I wondered whether it had been responsible for the very cold weather. Then when I saw the earthquake this morning, I put this together with a recently learnt fact that the earths core is molten because of gravitational friction between large planetary objects, and may have something to do with the earthquakes.

Nah, its global warming. Makes the top of the earth swell and get lighter. Only a matter of time tbh.

I have just watched that article again. The reference to GW is completely unrelated to the whirlpool. The 'expert' in question refers to ;Tuvalu in the Pacifc, already threatened by rising sea levels from global warming now faces the prospect of a Tsunami'

There was no suggest whatsoever that the whirlpool was caused by GW.

Nothing like a bit of anti AGW spin on HPC eh? ;)

no, the man got his Global Warming mention in....in spite of the "evidence" tampering and non Warming that appears to have occured.

I am a bit sensitive to this having attended a presentation on "How to bid for public sector contracts"

one presentation was about getting a low carbon action statement as well as my HSE, my ISO and my continuity plans.. This Global warming thing is policy in the UK, regardless of the facts, there is 2.8Million Euros available to get a "high calibre" graduate in to sort me out, ( just needs £10K from me and I get him for 6 months as well as half a day "academic" advice.

This is the problem..its policy, you cant win contracts without it, and yet it is all discredited.

Further disgruntlement fromt he tips on seeing the buying process from the public sector point of view...but thats another story and quite an eye opener, or confirmation of the waste waste waste.

Putting aside the issue of MGW is it not a good thing to be more efficient at using energy? I think the way TPTB are trying to get people to be more energy conscious isnt the best way but in the face of it how else can you achieve the aim of lower energy consumption and the spin off innovation and technology that has subsequently arisen which has to be a good thing in itself apart from the Elth n Safety issue binmen have recently raised about collecting low energy bulbs due to the toxic metals in the bins?

Absolutely...but business shold be doing this anyway.

we dont need 2.8M Euros for our region...this seems to be a scheme to give unemployed graduates a temporary job.

Likewise, its a good idea not to pollute the air.

Meanwhile the Essex Fire brigade are now not attending any automatic fire alarms...except where there is a "sleep" risk (hotels, private homes etc) or the place is full of chemicals..

we must have a rolling head count.

TBH, I find the whole ghoulish reproting of these things quite disgusting.

Like going to a beheading in Iran.

It is ghoulish in a way, but not informing the world about a major tragic event would be worse. In Japan priority is obviously just dealing with the disaster and its aftermath. This moralisation about news content really applies to the rest of the world, outside Japan and other countries that might have been affected.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

I don't deny Thorium reactors were harder to build but not impossible and what price do you put on nuclear reactors leaking? It was an option when this Japaense reactor was built. We's seen the US no1 military machine in the world are incapable of preventing a plane attack on 9/11 whats there to say something similar didnt happen targeting nuclear reactors?

Because if you hit the containment dome of a nuclear reactor with a plane, it's likely to do very little. They are designed to resist this kind of thing, unlike skyscrapers..

Chernobyl costs cant be calculated becuase its radioactive affects are unmeasurable* and will last well into the future.

Actually, most of the area is now down to levels you'd find anywhere where you have Granite as the country rock.

*Chaos theory is just the unmeasured and yes I was attending graduate Chaos theory lectures amongst others at Cambridge Uni whilst still at secondary school in my spare time. Theres even some assumptions Hawkings have stated in his book the Brief History of Time which I dont agree with.

*cough* Crank *cough*

This is the problem with conventional education its blinkers or conditions your thinking into following the herd.

So anyone disagreeing with you is just following the herd.. OK. Baa, indeed.

Lets take your points about the gravitional pull. Do you deny or acknowledge the moon has a gravitional effect on the planet?

I'd say yes, the most obvious to see being the daily tides. Now just becuase mainstream education (and possibly Govt) hasnt picked up on the issue of plate techtonics being affected by gravitional forces doesnt mean to say its not relevent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics#Gravity_related_driving_forces

Plate tectonics is pretty mainstream nowadays, and the fact that it is gravity driven is pretty obvious.. (convection does require gravity or an equivalent). There is a small effect of the moon on earthquake timing established, but nothing of the run-for-the-hills variety.

We know Plutonium is more dangerous than Thorium becuase Thorium is around us practially everywhere especially when Granite is present but Plutonium was chosen becuase the threat of nuke bombs plays on the strongest survival emotion that affects virtually all intelligent living organisms... Fear & self survival.

Plutonium is more dangerous because it's a much stronger Alpha emitter, I would have thought.

It just says 'unclear', although it mentions 2 or 300 bodies floating in a bay. I would like to know the source of the 88,000 number that is being circulated.

comment on the live feed at 14:43. says it's being reported by the official Kyodo news agency.

It is ghoulish in a way, but not informing the world about a major tragic event would be worse. In Japan priority is obviously just dealing with the disaster and its aftermath. This moralisation about news content really applies to the rest of the world, outside Japan and other countries that might have been affected.

we might need to know, sure, but the rolling pictures of people scared and property destroyed....maybe once on the main news, but this 24 hour nonsense...its just too much...and I dont think its just today...its every day....

Still waiting for the "how do you feel?" question.

That's the core of IO, one of jupiter's moons..

The Earth's main heat source is radiometric heat (mostly Potassium-40 decay, IIRC) without which it would freeze solid in only a few dozen million years. There are hints of a secondary heat source, either core crystallization latent heat or the possibility of a natural nuclear reactor at the core (note:speculative)

Lost me as I'm not trolling just speaking my mind, counter my arguement like Fluffy666 has above. Discussion take place to relay information between two or more parties, each party has to sell their point of view thats all I'm doing selling my pov.

No. Discuss it on another thread but don't hijack this one. Comprende?

I have read elsewhere that earthquakes are more likely to happen when the Moon is closer to the earth. Just as the moon is the main cause of tides in the oceans, it is believed that it causes tides in the molten rock under the crust, and presumably these would be stronger when the Moon's at its closest.

Apparently within the next few days the Moon will be closer to earth than any time since 1992.

I have read elsewhere that earthquakes are more likely to happen when the Moon is closer to the earth. Just as the moon is the main cause of tides in the oceans, it is believed that it causes tides in the molten rock under the crust, and presumably these would be stronger when the Moon's at its closest. I don't know if the Moon is at its closest at the moment. Maybe someone else does.

If this were true, surely the effect would be largest when we have spring tides, rather than just the moons influence? i.e. when the sun and the moon are in alignment.

Would be a fairly obvious pattern to have picked up. The fact that nobody has shown any evidence that earthquakes are more prevalent in spring / autumn leads me to suspect that it is, actually, pseudoscience and untrue.

If this were true, surely the effect would be largest when we have spring tides, rather than just the moons influence? i.e. when the sun and the moon are in alignment.

Would be a fairly obvious pattern to have picked up. The fact that nobody has shown any evidence that earthquakes are more prevalent in spring / autumn leads me to suspect that it is, actually, pseudoscience and untrue.

You have a point there. but the Earth's crust is subjected to a fair amount of pummelling by the tides. For example, it's said that Cornwall rises and falls by up to 4 inches between high and low tide, owing to the variation in the weight of water.

The idea that the Moon, or Sun and Moon together, might have an effect on the molten rock beneath the Earth's crust isn't pseudo-science, since they must have an effect - it's what the manifestations of that effect might be that are open to conjecture.

The effect might be marginal, like triggering an event that was ready to happen any time.

we might need to know, sure, but the rolling pictures of people scared and property destroyed....maybe once on the main news, but this 24 hour nonsense...its just too much...and I dont think its just today...its every day....

This is actually one of the rare occurrences where 24-hour news actually has some use - to give us details of a massive, unfolding, event.

Most of the time they are just trying to fill time by recycling the same old stories and keeping viewers attention by hyping everything up.

It just says 'unclear', although it mentions 2 or 300 bodies floating in a bay. I would like to know the source of the 88,000 number that is being circulated.

When the spire of Christchurch Cathedral toppled a couple of weeks back, newspapers and even the police and government officials repeated for days an estimate that up to 22 people were buried in the rubble. When workers finally started lifting the rubble they didn't find a single body. No-one seems to have the faintest idea where the original estimate came from