House Price Crash Forum

FUKUSHIMA earthquake and tsunami thread and aftermath

The Beeb is reporting that Japanese broadcasters say that the core of Reactor #2 has been exposed for a second time.

The first time it happened was because the pump for seawater... ran out of fuel.

It sounds absurd but I guess even getting fuel supplies after the tsunami is difficult.

Channel 4's website is referring to the explosions as 'nuclear ' blasts. Idiots.

I remember once being told that using depleted uranium shells consitituted nuclear war, so nothing much surprises me.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beeb is reporting that Japanese broadcasters say that the core of Reactor #2 has been exposed for a second time.

The first time it happened was because the pump for seawater... ran out of fuel.

It sounds absurd but I guess even getting fuel supplies after the tsunami is difficult.

Channel 4's website is referring to the explosions as 'nuclear ' blasts. Idiots.

So, which reporters are there, at the coal face, seeing what is going on...none I suspect.

And all they would see are men at control panels with lights....not a man in overalls with a wrench and a lunchbox.

So, which reporters are there, at the coal face, seeing what is going on...none I suspect.

And all they would see are men at control panels with lights....not a man in overalls with a wrench and a lunchbox.

I did emphasise that the Beeb is relying on another TV station. ;)

BBC's reporters 'on the ground' don't ya know.

In a hotel somewhere with their laptop and watching Japanese TV.

I did emphasise that the Beeb is relying on another TV station. ;)

BBC's reporters 'on the ground' don't ya know.

In a hotel somewhere with their laptop and watching Japanese TV.

With their translator - I'd be willing to bet the number of reporters who can speak a foreign language competently at the BBC could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

They'd be better off just employing some Japanese to translate from watching TBS on ustream

I wonder what the mortality rates were?

interestingly in the Chernobyl case the molted core did not penetrate the bottom concrete floor .... even the plant did not have the proper containment structure ...and it was estimated there was 30 GW of power during the 2nd explosion ... ????

Edited by Damik

Glad to see that the highly informed level of debate continuing on this thread :rolleyes:

When they say the water levels in reactor 2 are low, what they mean is that the initial supply of cooling water in the reactor has almost been exhausted. This does not mean that the core has been exposed. It means they need to pump in more water because the supply of additional cooling water is running out and if they don't replace it then water leves inside the core will start to fall and the core could be exposed.

It's still not going to go into meltdown. It really, really isn't.

Look here. This is what is actually going on with the reactor:

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031404-e.html

They've been using water from inside the torus under the reactor to cool it. Most of that has been vented away as steam and so they're pumping in seawater to replace it.

Glad to see that the highly informed level of debate continuing on this thread :rolleyes:

OI! I was just saying what the Beeb says Japanese TV was saying somebody in a sushi bar said. I'm just the messenger.

"Technicians are battling to stabilise a third reactor at a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear plant, which has been rocked by a second blast in three days.

The Fukushima Daiichi plant's operators have resumed pumping seawater into reactor 2 after a cooling system broke.

They warned of a possible meltdown when the fuel rods became exposed after the pump stopped as its fuel ran out."

I wouldn't be so bold as to say it's neccessarily true. I have a TFH, I'm risk-averse.

When they say the water levels in reactor 2 are low, what they mean is that the initial supply of cooling water in the reactor has almost been exhausted. This does not mean that the core has been exposed. It means they need to pump in more water because the supply of additional cooling water is running out and if they don't replace it then water leves inside the core will start to fall and the core could be exposed.

It's still not going to go into meltdown. It really, really isn't.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/exposed-fuel-rods-explosion-raise-threat-of-meltdown-in-japanese-nuclear-plant/2011/03/14/ABaosCV_story.html

Later, a top Japanese official said the fuel rods in all three of the most troubled nuclear reactors appeared to be melting.

Of all these troubles, the drop in water levels at Unit 2 had officials the most worried.

Do you think a top Japanese official would state this if he wasn't sure if it was true?

Edited by fellow

Nuclear Disaster ‘Will Have Political Impact as Great as 9/11′

Spiegel

March 14, 2011

The nuclear disaster in Fukushima makes it hard to ignore the vulnurabilities of the technology. It could spell the end of nuclear power, German commentators argue on Monday. The government in Berlin may now cave in to mounting pressure to suspend its 12-year extension of reactor lifetimes, they say.

The nuclear accident at Japan’s Fukushima plant following Friday’s earthquake and tsunami has led to anxious questions in Germany about the safety of its own nuclear reactors and is putting the government under intense pressure to rethink its decision to extend plant lifetimes by an average of 12 years.

German media commentators across the political spectrum are saying the accident in a highly developed nation such as Japan is further evidence that nuclear power isn’t safe. One commentator in the conservative Die Welt went as far as to liken the global impact of the Fukushima explosions to that of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition of conservatives and the pro-business Free Democratic Party (FDP) reversed the planned phaseout of the 17 nuclear reactors by 2021, amending a decision taken by a previous center-left government in 2002 to end nuclear power generation in Germany.

Full article here

Maybe some good can come of this.

When they say the water levels in reactor 2 are low, what they mean is that the initial supply of cooling water in the reactor has almost been exhausted. This does not mean that the core has been exposed.
..Except that they've said that the fuel rods (i.e. the core) are now fully exposed and the risk of meltdown is increasing at the moment.
It could spell the end of nuclear power, German commentators argue on Monday.
It's difficult to say. I don't think many countries will press ahead with plans for new nuclear power stations now, though. Nobody will be able to sell the idea to the public in democratic countries. We've had nuclear power for less than 60 years and now there have been 3 major nuclear incidents. There are only 80 years' known reserves of uranium left at current rates of usage. We're half way through the nuclear age anyway, it will end at about the same time as the oil age. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Interesting discussion, why was the second bang so much dirtier than the first?

It's a bigger reactor so poss more H2 but it's done so much more damage. plus they store the new fuel rods up there somewhere dont they? Where have they gone now?

Edited by cassiedog

..Except that they've said that the fuel rods (i.e. the core) are now fully exposed and the risk of meltdown is increasing at the moment.

It's difficult to say. I don't think many countries will press ahead with plans for new nuclear power stations now, though. Nobody will be able to sell the idea to the public in democratic countries. We've had nuclear power for less than 60 years and now there have been 3 major nuclear incidents. There are only 80 years' known reserves of uranium left at current rates of usage. We're half way through the nuclear age anyway, it will end at about the same time as the oil age.

so it will melt in the worst case .... if you see the picture it is designed to spread the melted core to around the torus to increase the surface ... and it will stay there and solidify ... sorry for the disappointment ...

reactor.jpeg

nteresting discussion, why was the second bang so much dirtier than the first?

Most of the 'smoke' one saw in both explosions would have actually been steam. It could just have been lighting conditions that made the cloud look dirtier in the second explosion, plus dust from destroyed parts of the building. But there is rather a lot of falling dust in the second explosion, though. If that's pulverised concrete it would be logical to fear the worst.
o it will melt in the worst case .... if you see the picture it is designed to spread the melted core to around the torus to increase the surface ... and it will stay there and solidify ... sorry for the disappointment ...
Unless it's too viscous and lodges in the well under the reactor. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

so it will melt in the worst case .... if you see the picture it is designed to spread the melted core to around the torus to increase the surface ... and it will stay there and solidify ... sorry for the disappointment ...

i have to say again, the core catcher needs cooling for it to work.

given that the failure of all 3 reactors is the fact that the pumps and thus cooling system has failed, you cant be sure that the containment system will definitely hold up should the core melt.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/exposed-fuel-rods-explosion-raise-threat-of-meltdown-in-japanese-nuclear-plant/2011/03/14/ABaosCV_story.html

Do you think a top Japanese official would state this if he wasn't sure if it was true?

A 'top Japanese official'? In an article which names every other quoted source. I don't see that as any more trustworthy than a Press release directly from the reactor operators.

Everyone in this thread seems to believe what they want to believe and anything to the contrary is 'misinformation'.

Me, I'm following it with interest but taking nothing at face value. Which doesn't prove any report is true or false, especially as things are fast moving, I don't speak Japanese, and we have the press on one hand sensationalising things and VIs from governments and the nuclear industry probably playing things down.

I'm certainly not going along with people who are saying that core meltdown and containment failure are inevitable. But I am glad it is all very far away.

Nuclear Disaster ‘Will Have Political Impact as Great as 9/11′

Spiegel

March 14, 2011

The nuclear disaster in Fukushima makes it hard to ignore the vulnurabilities of the technology. It could spell the end of nuclear power, German commentators argue on Monday. The government in Berlin may now cave in to mounting pressure to suspend its 12-year extension of reactor lifetimes, they say.

The nuclear accident at Japan’s Fukushima plant following Friday’s earthquake and tsunami has led to anxious questions in Germany about the safety of its own nuclear reactors and is putting the government under intense pressure to rethink its decision to extend plant lifetimes by an average of 12 years.

German media commentators across the political spectrum are saying the accident in a highly developed nation such as Japan is further evidence that nuclear power isn’t safe. One commentator in the conservative Die Welt went as far as to liken the global impact of the Fukushima explosions to that of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition of conservatives and the pro-business Free Democratic Party (FDP) reversed the planned phaseout of the 17 nuclear reactors by 2021, amending a decision taken by a previous center-left government in 2002 to end nuclear power generation in Germany.

Full article here

Maybe some good can come of this.

Define 'good'?

Anyway, the 9am phone-in on Radio 5 this morning was interesting. Apparently the vast majority of callers/texters were in favour of nuclear power so I don't think it's going to go away in the UK at least.