House Price Crash Forum

FUKUSHIMA earthquake and tsunami thread and aftermath

geezer466

HOLA441
it is still the safest energy we have ...
Not sure about that.

Nuclear power station.........Radiation leak / meltdown / reactor explosion.

Coal fired power station......Boiler explosion / fire in coal tip.

Gas-fired power station.......Boiler explosion / turbine explosion / gas leak and explosion.

Large offshore wind farm....Extensive storm damage to turbines.

Solar PV panels on factory roof.... Maintenance worker slipping and falling off roof.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

yes, so in the worst case scenario you will get the contained meltdown and the reactor is written off. some minor radioactivity release ...

it is still the safest energy we have ...

No. The worst case scenario is that the container is cracked and radioactive material is blown into the atmosphere. However unlikely you think it is, is is still a possibility.

HOLA443

They ARE the same areas in the before and after photos, on both sets of photos linked to.

If you can't see that, it only emphaisises the degree of devastation.

As for manipulating the image, they may be taken with different cameras in different weather at different times of day, mud every where and water polluted.

Suggesting that the press are misrsepresenting things by showing different areas, or manipulating images, is silly. The images may have been rescaled to match, and colour balance and lighting levels changed, but that would surely be to make them clearer.

Everything is a conspiracy to some people on these fora.

Conspiracy ?! What are you talking about ?

I am simply pointing out that a before and after picture collage should have the SAME areas before and after to give an accurate representation.

It would be like doing a before and after shot of a bird with and without make up - and using her sister in the 2nd pic instead of the bird herself !! "Well it's close enough" doesnt quite cut it - IMO.

You do get my point ? Not that it is important - but I think it is just very shoddy reporting. Not a huge surprise really. I was just pointing it out. No conspiracy angle from me.

Yes, pretty much. After the big quake we were eventually evacuated from the conference venue, and standing out in the carpark for a couple of hours. Boxes of water and blankets started appearing pretty quickly. Back in the hotel, where we were confined to the ground floor, the hotel staff were doing their best to make soup and provide bedding for the night. They all did this in a very calm and dignified manner,

SC

Yep - that is one thing I really like about the Japanese in general.

HOLA444

I used to handle low grade isotopes ...I consider my fear ..rational

Dear Dr Tankus

I dont have an understairs cupboard and the doors inside are all a very thin sapele

What should I do in the even of a nucular incident?

thanks

Concerned of Colchestishima

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

That's a bit like saying the Airbus A380 is the safest airliner we have - until one crashes, killing over 500 people on board, that is.

we know its a happy ending, because, science tells us..."then the Earth cooled"....

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Not to mention the possibility of sea-level rises or a Tsunami due to the western side of La Palma slipping into the Atlantic...Nah... could NEVER happen here..

The 1607 flood in the Bristol Channel could have been a tsunami triggered by and earthquake under the Irish Sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/1607-flood.shtml

Hinkley Point power station is on the Bristol Channel

HOLA4413

Let's see how steel containment vessel copes with 5000C Nuclear fuel melting onto it.

I think this is it, people....

http://www.reuters.c...B00733720110314

DUCK !!!!

(Reuters) - Nuclear fuel rods at a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear reactor are now fully exposed, Jiji news agency said, quoting the plant's operator, Tokyo Eletcric Power Co .

Well, that's tuna off the menu for the next few billion years.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

As the US 7th fleet leaves the japanese coastline due to normal levels of radiation one would recieve while walking on Dartmoor...

I was at school in Plymouth. In a physics lesson once they waved a counter at some very carefully stored and handled, and probably heaven knows how much paperwork radioactive samples. It ticked away a bit. Then some kid puts a piece of granite he'd picked up off the moor next to the counter, which shoots right up.

At university we started ignoring the handling procedures we'd been told to use for some samples when we started getting stronger readings from the wall of the building.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

You are not really citing Chinese Central Television as a reliable news source are you?

Edit:

11.09am: Ian Sample has more on the exposure of those fuel rods at reactor 2:

Ian Sample

The rods are usually submerged in several metres of water to stop them overheating. Water level gauges at reactors 1 and 3 also suggest that fuel rods are partially exposed, but engineers said pressure readings from the reactors conflict with this and that the water gauges may be faulty. Workers are trying to circulate seawater around all three reactors to keep them cool. Serious melting of fuel rods inside any of the reactors could block the circulation of water.

11.03am: Kyodo News has reported in the last five minutes that the fuel rods at the No 2 reactor at Fukushima Daiichi are now fully exposed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/14/japan-tsunami-nuclear-alert-live-coverage

Basically we don't know what is going on and will have to wait and see

Edited by FaFa!

HOLA4421

I was at school in Plymouth. In a physics lesson once they waved a counter at some very carefully stored and handled, and probably heaven knows how much paperwork radioactive samples. It ticked away a bit. Then some kid puts a piece of granite he'd picked up off the moor next to the counter, which shoots right up.

At university we started ignoring the handling procedures we'd been told to use for some samples when we started getting stronger readings from the wall of the building.

and who remembers the Asbestos mat used for holding things on the tripod above the bunsen burner....and who remembers turning the gas taps on and running out of the class sharpish?

HOLA4422

and who remembers the Asbestos mat used for holding things on the tripod above the bunsen burner....and who remembers turning the gas taps on and running out of the class sharpish?

Turning the gas taps on with the rubber hose attached and lighting the end of the hose was the more impressive one (that I never did, I was usually too boringly well-behaved).

HOLA4423

its because you didn't know the danger , neither did your teachers

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Turning the gas taps on with the rubber hose attached and lighting the end of the hose was the more impressive one (that I never did, I was usually too boringly well-behaved).

nah, you funnelled the gas into the sinks with the wooden lid, then lit the little hole where the gas vented out from... :P