House Price Crash Forum

FUKUSHIMA earthquake and tsunami thread and aftermath

geezer466

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be some advantage in a tsunami striking during daylight hours. Of course some people will stand no chance of finding safe ground, but having daylight to give you some warning about where the waves are, and where the high ground is, must help. Looks like a lot of later tsunami strikes may be at dusk or night time. Not good...

If the warning systems are in place it should be OK.

Just from a look on Google Maps, there are a fair few pacific islands in the way, Papua new guinea, east coast of Australia, California and central/south america (west coast). Most of these areas should have warning systems in place, and importantly lots of time to prepare.

just watched a bit of the BBC News 24....they are showing a HUGE MASSIVE whirlpool and their EXPERT said he'd seen nothing like it and it was sucking up an entire ship and this is the power of GLOBAL WARMING and huge Currents.

course, he failed to actually look at the screen and see the water was caught by some outcrop of land and was swirling a bit and the SHIP was a small pleasure craft...even a tethered Bouey was unmoved.

However, it is a terrible thing, and of course,the press Ghouls in Hawii have hours to set up their cameras, global links and notepads so they can put their feet up and record a potential disaster as it rolls over them.

Ready for the ever important.."How do you feel?" questions.

Wow 8.9 is huge! 33ft wave already hit Northern Japan I suspect it will be much bigger if hits the other side of the pacific!

Modern Japanese buildings are built to take it. I remember in 1989 when they were building the apartment building (where I was to later rent) the ironworkers were putting up these great hulking 18-inch H-beams. Years later, in Auckland, New Zealand, I saw a similar building going up, with these puny little 8-inch H-beams.

The folks up in Miyagi Prefecture had an hour or so or warming to get to higher ground before the sea came flooding in over the low-lying areas. I hope they heeded it.

just watched a bit of the BBC News 24....they are showing a HUGE MASSIVE whirlpool and their EXPERT said he'd seen nothing like it and it was sucking up an entire ship and this is the power of GLOBAL WARMING and huge Currents.

course, he failed to actually look at the screen and see the water was caught by some outcrop of land and was swirling a bit and the SHIP was a small pleasure craft...even a tethered Bouey was unmoved.

However, it is a terrible thing, and of course,the press Ghouls in Hawii have hours to set up their cameras, global links and notepads so they can put their feet up and record a potential disaster as it rolls over them.

Ready for the ever important.."How do you feel?" questions.

Nevermind the poeple that have lost their life, we must get it blamed on global warming climate change global climate disruption climate challenges

FFS

Shocking images.

Yep, that one where the tsunami is rolling over the fields and looks black as the mouth of hell and has fires burning on top of the wave, is particularly sinister.

Don't fancy the chances of Pacific Islanders right now if the waves are higher than some islands :o

Probably not the time for this, but when they showed the wave out to sea I couldn't help but wonder if anyone has ever tried to chopper onto a Tsunami wave and surf it. I imagine getting off the wave before it pounded you into the shore could be an issue though.

I think I saw the same article and their was no mention of GW. I think BL is using a bit of creative licence ;)

No, he said referring to Phillipine islands, that rising sea levels due to Global Warming will make this much worse.

Unfortunately this initial news looks as if it will get worse as the day goes on. It would be nice if for only one day all on this forum and any other forum thought about these poor sods rather than our usual moans and groans about how fair life is...

To be honest it all puts our insignificant bleats about houseprices into done perspective. Unfortunately this initial news looks as if it will get worse as the day goes on. It would be nice if for only one day all on this f

Lets hope Authorities stop using the "no-one saw it coming" when their cities are flooded....IF they are indeed...flooded.

Cost of 1995 Kobe earthquake just stated as being 80-100 billion USD.

This expected to be much more.

Will cause a big financial impact, especially to insurers as mentioned previously.

Better start my tenders for work already.

Ive got my ISO, my Health and Safety Policy in place, just now starting on my Diversity statement and Carbon Reduction strategies. Could be in with a chance for the Ice cream Franchise for recovery workers.