geezer466

HOLA441
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Early days yet, not sure if this will be more damaging than Kobe, but could the Japanese quickly liquidate all that US Debt /T Bills they own in they need vast amounts of cash for rebuilding?

I've no idea. I was just parrotting what I read online which seemed a logical reason for the move. The move could reverse fairly sharpish if it turns out the damage isn't as much as feared. Early days yet and the tsunami has yet to hit US, Aus etc etc and we don't know what will happen. I predicted that the GBPJPY would take out last year's low (125) this year - I'd prefer it if it didn't happen because of this....

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

But I thought the fuel rods were suspended inside the reactor by electromagnets and automatically drop out of it into water on shut-down.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

TOKYO — The Japanese government issued a state of emergency at a nuclear power plant Friday after a cooling system failure in the wake of the giant earthquake and tsunami off the east coast of the Pacific nation.

An administrator at the Tohoku Electric Power Co's Onagawa facility said the process for the cooling reactor is "not going as planned," adding that "nuclear emergency situation" has been declared. The company asked people nearby to stay calm, the official TV news channel NHK reported.

A fire broke out at the plant following the quake, the Kyodo news agency said. Prior to the Kyodo report, the company had said it had not received information on whether there had been any problems at the nuclear power plant after the disaster.

Separately, Fukushima Prefecture, the site of a Tokyo Electric Power nuclear power plant, said on Friday that the plant's reactor cooling system was functioning, denying an earlier report that it was malfunctioning.

Japanese media reported that the government had decided to declare a nuclear power emergency situation, which occurs if there is confirmation of radioactivity leaks from a nuclear power plant or a reactor cooling system breaks down.

Earlier, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said the quake caused "major damage" in northeastern Japan, but that nuclear power facilities in the area were not damaged and there was no radiation leakage.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

But I thought the fuel rods were suspended inside the reactor by electromagnets and automatically drop out of it into water on shut-down.

Aren't they boron rods that drop into the reactor core. If remember my A-level physics correctly Boron is the only material that can stop a Nuclear chain reaction.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

There was a Brit talking on the radio saying he was on an underground train when the first waves hit but people just smiled and carried on as they were used to it.

Moments later, he said, the train lurched over to one side as if it was going to fall over sideways and then he said people got very afraid.

As others have said, those poor poor people. God bless.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

How many quakes is it normal to have across the world every week? I just checked a global quake site and it seems a lot in the last week, but then I don't know what is normal...

Quakes all the time, it is the size, but yes, you;d need to correlate the frequency and magnitude over time to assess trends. Still what got me about that video is the prediction of more signifcant ones to come - when those words were spoeken the guy was waving the mouse around Japan!

HOLA4419

Quakes all the time, it is the size, but yes, you;d need to correlate the frequency and magnitude over time to assess trends. Still what got me about that video is the prediction of more signifcant ones to come - when those words were spoeken the guy was waving the mouse around Japan!

That was pretty interesting. Obviously I want a large holographic globe like they have in TV docudramas about Yellowstone.

Watching it on Sky I am pretty impressed by the Japanese, level headed, systems in place and working. The human scale perhaps isn't so apparent yet? Succesful evacuation?

Watching the guy pootling about on that bridge while the wave hit was a surprise.

HOLA4420

Fascinating video. Looks like there was plenty of evidence for something serious building.

When you see the global map of seismic activity, it makes you realise just how safe our miserable little island is. Surely one of the major factors behind us punching above our weight for 400 years is that we don't get levelled or flooded every few decades.

HOLA4421

Uh oh.... nuclear emergency declared at one power plant where cooling has failed.

This is potentially very serious indeed.

The shut down went ok.

But when you shut down a nuclear reactor, you are left with lots of intermediate radionuclides that release lots of energy as they decay, they have half-lives of a few days. So you need to supply a moderate amount of 'essential cooling water' for a week or so to stop the reactor overheating. It looks like they lost the electricity supply and the back-up generators in Japan. Not good.

With the moderator rods dropped the chance of it going crtical is negligible. However if the essential cooling water is not going in, then it will overheat and probably blow it's containment. If it heats up enough to boil off the cooling water present then you could get a fire starting in the graphite. The outcome could be anything between Three Mile Island - almost nothing, and Chernobyl - major contamination across Japan, Korea and the heavily populated parts of China.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

This wouldnt be such an issue or cost if we used Thorium in nuclear reactors especially in areas at risk from plate techtonics. I wonder if TPTB will learn any lessons?

For goodness' sake. I'm pretty sure they know more than a few ignorant posters on the internet. You could help reduce the need for Nuclear power by switching off your computer and doing something else instead.