House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
enrieb

Land Ownership In The Uk

I'm starting this thread in the hope that we can compile any data, links, articles and books, that give a break down of the ownership of land in the UK. The reason being that each time I attempt to find some links and data, it's pretty hard to find anything substantial or useful. I would rather that this thread does not become another argument about the rights and wrongs of ownership and whether or not land taxes and redistribution would solve or cause problems in the UK, because thats what all the previous threads have descended into. If we can keep the thread clean and as a resourse for information, it could be stickied in one of the other forum sections.

Please add any links or information you have.

Who Owns Britain, Kevin Carhil The list in my sig is taken from this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Who-Owns-Britain-Kevin-Cahill/dp/1841953105/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3

Theres a small document I found online with charts and figures

The pattern of Britain's land ownership

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/28241216/The-pattern-of-Britains-land-ownership

This land is ours - or is it? An article with some figures

http://libcom.org/news/article.php/land-ownership-right-roam-uk-10032006

70% of the land is owned by 1% of the population.

There are 60,000,000 acres of land in the UK.

28,000,000 of which are owned by just 40,000 families

There are 5,000 families that own over 1000 acres each.

Less than 5% of the available land (2,800,000 acres) is owned by 16,800,000 home owners.

The land occupied by the royal family 677,000 (crown est, duchy cornwall, lancs and private)

Forestry commission 2,400,000,

Ministry of Defence 750,000,

National trust England Wales 550,000,

Pension funds 500,000,

Utilities 500,000,

The Crown Estate 384,000,

The Duke of Buccleuch 277,000,

The National trust of Scotland 176,000,

The Duke of Atholl 148,000,

The Duchy of Cornwall 141,000,

The Duke of Westminster 140,000,

The Church of England 135,000,

The Invercauld Trusts 120,000,

The Alcan highland estates 116,000,

The Duke of Northumberland 110,000,

The Earl of Seafeild 101,000,

The Portland Estates 95,000,

The RSPB 90,000,

Co-op farms 90,000,

Edited by enrieb

The Land were/are running a competition for the best depiction of land owners in a person's region. Unfortunately, they only had one entry last year, but it was quite a stunning entry (for Cumbria). It's in the latest edition, 9, I think,

Peter.

P.S. More generally, they are interested in land ownership issues, so they may have some relevant info.

I'm thinking Network Rail must be somewhere on that list. I couldn't find a figure for their total area but I found a reference to 30,000 ha of lineside vegetation. But it also owns the freehold of 2500 stations, all the track, sidings, depots, freight terminals and some disused facilities that weren't retained by British Rail Residuary.

Most of the "owners" on the list posted appear to be corporations or tentacles of the state. Given that individuals have to pay death taxes and organisations don't, private land ownership is in effect being punished. The result is not surprising.

If landowners looked different to the rest of us, like in Rhodesia, we would not tolerate this.

The biggest landowners in the UK are simply where they are because their ancestors were bigger, more brutal thugs than our ancestors. No different to colonial Africa, South America etc.

I look foward to the day we see the royals hanging from lampposts by their necks.

The biggest landowners in the UK are simply where they are because their ancestors were bigger, more brutal thugs than our ancestors. No different to colonial Africa, South America etc.

What, the Forestry Commision?

Ohh, what fun.

Nobody has pointed out* that the Crown owns all the land yet.

*New Statesman link notwithstanding.