House Price Crash Forum
tomandlu

Why Isn't Wall Street In Jail?

Sorry if this has already been posted...

www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-isnt-wall-street-in-jail

...one has to think carefully about the efficacy of fines as a punishment for a defendant pool that includes the richest people on earth — people who simply get their companies to pay their fines for them. Conversely, one has to consider the powerful deterrent to further wrongdoing that the state is missing by not introducing this particular class of people to the experience of incarceration. "You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this ******** would stop, all over Wall Street," says a former congressional aide. "That's all it would take. Just once."

Sorry if this has already been posted...

www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-isnt-wall-street-in-jail

why stop at "just once"?

next time I get a speeding fine, Ill refuse to pay because now my friend had one, Im immune and he paid the price of my lesson.

why stop at "just once"?

next time I get a speeding fine, Ill refuse to pay because now my friend had one, Im immune and he paid the price of my lesson.

Look at it this way: If a speeding fine was just £60 and nothing else, and you were a multimillionaire, exactly how concerned would you be about being caught speeding?

why stop at "just once"?

Certainly it would be pointless if only one bankster, no matter how prominent, served a six month jail sentence once.

I think the author meant every guilty banker each serving a sentence once; that would definitely have an effect. If there were any justice it should be each banker receiving punishment each time they transgress but as it is no banker seems to receive punishment regardless of how frequently or severely they break they do.

I now work for a bank in Singapore and experienced some quite aggressive behaviour from a trader and witnessed some highly dubious behaviour from a director neither of which you would ever see in the Actuarial profession.

When news broke recently that this bank's Seoul operations had been raided with Regulatory Officers bearing Confiscation Orders (to take control of files/computers etc) suddenly the director's usual cockiness turned to a look of fear. When I stood my ground with the trader (I practice Muay Thai and Krav Maga) he got the message and learned to treat me with respect.

Trust me, once these guys realise that danger is not just theoretical and can apply to them too they turn to jelly. They're all fiat and no fists and would be suicidal with the thought of jail.

Edited by Dave Spart

Certainly it would be pointless if only one bankster, no matter how prominent, served a six month jail sentence once.

I think the author meant every guilty banker each serving a sentence once; that would definitely have an effect. If there were any justice it should be each banker receiving punishment each time they transgress but as it is no banker seems to receive punishment regardless of how frequently or severely they break they do.

I now work for a bank in Singapore and experienced some quite aggressive behaviour from a trader and witnessed some highly dubious behaviour from a director neither of which you would ever see in the Actuarial profession.

When news broke recently that this bank's Seoul operations had been raided with Regulatory Officers bearing Confiscation Orders (to take control of files/computers etc) suddenly the director's usual cockiness turned to a look of fear. When I stood my ground with the trader (I practice Muay Thai and Krav Maga) he got the message and learned to treat me with respect.

Trust me, once these guys realise that danger is not just theoretical and can apply to them too they turn to jelly. They're all fiat and no fists and would be suicidal with the thought of jail.

Origami bank?

why stop at "just once"?

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Yup --- But there's no logic when it comes to the Banksters, hey? :rolleyes:

Confiscating their entire wealth/estates due to their 'criminal' behaviour and banning them from holding a financial job for rest of their life would be far more of a "deterent"

Confiscating their entire wealth/estates due to their 'criminal' behaviour and banning them from holding a financial job for rest of their life would be far more of a "deterent"

Yeah..... "DICK" Fuld - the guy who ran Lehman Bros - he walked away with what, about $300 million....?!!?? :rolleyes:

It really does beggar belief..... WHY? WHY has he and all the others been allowed to get away with this?? :angry: :angry:

Something REALLY does have to be done..... All you people out there under 30 yrs old -- LIE IN THE STREETS - TWEET EACH OTHER TO DO THIS -- REFUSE TO BUDGE UNTIL THE BANKERS ARE TAKEN TO COURT.... :angry: :angry:

Edited by eric pebble