House Price Crash Forum
Guest The Relaxation Suite

Where Is There Allodial Title?

Guest The Relaxation Suite

Just reading about the Duke of York's high jinks and his unpleasant associate in the US, and their groovy little life flying round the world to their various mansions in their private jets, etc., and started looking into who actually owns the land (as they seem to have rather a lot). Quickly discovered not us in any way. Also discovered the difference between allodial and fee simple, i.e., land that one actually owns, and land that one basically has a form of tenure on, in Commonwealth countries this would be from the Crown, in the US it would be owned ultimately by the Federal Government via the nice "eminent domain" laws.

Anyone know anywhere where people who "own" their own land, actually own their land, rather than rent it off the state? Anywhere on the planet will do. I read that "native title" land in Australia removes it from the Crown, but this is not available to ordinary people - i.e., those who sustain the system.

I believe some US states allow you to purchase allodial title to land. Native American reservations are quasi-allodial.

Bear in mind that allodial title isn't necessarily better than other forms. If you can't be disposed of your land you cannot raise cash on it via a mortgage because the lender could never take possession on default.

Just reading about the Duke of York's high jinks and his unpleasant associate in the US, and their groovy little life flying round the world to their various mansions in their private jets, etc., and started looking into who actually owns the land (as they seem to have rather a lot). Quickly discovered not us in any way. Also discovered the difference between allodial and fee simple, i.e., land that one actually owns, and land that one basically has a form of tenure on, in Commonwealth countries this would be from the Crown, in the US it would be owned ultimately by the Federal Government via the nice "eminent domain" laws.

Anyone know anywhere where people who "own" their own land, actually own their land, rather than rent it off the state? Anywhere on the planet will do. I read that "native title" land in Australia removes it from the Crown, but this is not available to ordinary people - i.e., those who sustain the system.

"Some land in the Orkney and Shetland Islands, known as Udal land, is held in a manner akin to allodial land in that these titles are not subject to the ultimate ownership of the Crown." - Wikipedia

As we know, the 'Crown' is a separate entity from the reigning monarch. The Queen doesn't own Windsor Castle or Buckingham Palace, but she does own Sandringham, which presumably ultimately belongs to the Crown like everything else.

One could be forgiven for thinking that Tesco has some sort of privileged ancient land rights too!

Is it the case that in the USA, ultimate land ownership rests with the individual states except in the case of federal territory like Washington DC?

In France the land belongs to the republic, in other words to the people. But the French constitution allows for the President to assume emergency powers which include 'rule by decree' that presumably includes the requisitioning of land.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Ownership is a convenient illusion.

Even allodial title is trumped by superior force.

Ownership is a convenient illusion.

Even allodial title is trumped by superior force.

Indeed, there was some in Montana until the question was actually asked vis a vis ignoring the federalis.