House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ken_ichikawa

So Silver Vs Gold Broke

So what does this mean for my stash of the white stuff? I've got 250 times more of the white stuff than I've got of the yellow shiney stuff.

Swap the white stuff for the yellow stuff or sit tight?

So what does this mean for my stash of the white stuff? I've got 250 times more of the white stuff than I've got of the yellow shiney stuff.

Depends if you think the ratio will trend back to the pre-20th century long term average of about 15-1 (if I remember correctly). Of course, in the last 100 years it has been as high as 90-1, so 40-1 perhaps isn't so bad.

Depends on whether you believe in the silver stock depletion will be severe enough to add serious pressure to the ratio in the future.

Depends on whether you think there is going to be the mother of all short squeezes in silver at the Comex shortly.

Most importantly, how fast do you think you can run from a baying mob with a bag that weighs 250kg and how fast do you think you can run with a bag that weighs 6.25 kilos? :lol:

Edited by General Congreve

Depends if you think the ratio will trend back to the pre-20th century long term average of about 15-1 (if I remember correctly). Of course, in the last 100 years it has been as high as 90-1, so 40-1 perhaps isn't so bad.

Depends on whether you believe in the silver stock depletion will be severe enough to add serious pressure to the ratio in the future.

Depends on whether you think there is going to be the mother of all short squeezes in silver at the Comex shortly.

Most importantly, how fast do you think you can run from a baying mob with a bag that weighs 250kg and how fast do you think you can run with a bag that weighs 6.25 kilos? :lol:

Kilos! I wish! :blink:

Kilos! I wish! :blink:

Yeah, I wish too! Figured if I'd used a more realistic ounces it wouldn't really paint the same image in your mind of you struggling to haul your silver away as the rampaging mob descends on your wheezing form and tears you to pieces ;)

Edited by General Congreve

Depends how important you think historical trends are. Worth ignoring in my view

Guest spp

I read somewhere that the long-term historical (thousands of years?) average of the ratio was 7 to 1, and that silver only became so 'worthless' when it was displaced from the US coinage (by Lincoln?) in (comparatively!) recent times.

A presidential bombshell - By Ted Butler

President Lyndon Johnson July 23, 1965

"Now, all of you know these changes are necessary for a very simple reason--silver is a scarce material. Our uses of silver are growing as our population and our economy grows. The hard fact is that silver consumption is now more than double new silver production each year. So, in the face of this worldwide shortage of silver, and our rapidly growing need for coins, the only really prudent course was to reduce our dependence upon silver for making our coins.

If we had not done so, we would have risked chronic coin shortages in the very near future.

Some have asked whether our silver coins will disappear. The answer is very definitely-no.

Our present silver coins won't disappear and they won't even become rarities. We estimate that there are now 12 billion--I repeat, more than 12 billion silver dimes and quarters and half dollars that are now outstanding. We will make another billion before we halt production. And they will be used side-by-side with our new coins.

Since the life of a silver coin is about 25 years, we expect our traditional silver coins to be with us in large numbers for a long, long time.

If anybody has any idea of hoarding our silver coins, let me say this. Treasury has a lot of silver on hand, and it can be, and it will be used to keep the price of silver in line with its value in our present silver coin. There will be no profit in holding them out of circulation for the value of their silver content."

The clock is ticking...

That is my only issue with Silver and the main reason I've not loaded up on more. Gold is much easier to transport due to it's higher density.

Actually the other reason I prefer Gold is the fact it's harder to fake, Tungsten is the only viable material to fake Gold whereas Silver has many more options. The other issue is checking the damn things. Buying a Silver Monster Box (500 1oz coins) is all well and good but authenticating them is going to be a long process, especially since I'd want them purchased without a paper trail ;)

Guest spp

That is my only issue with Silver and the main reason I've not loaded up on more. Gold is much easier to transport due to it's higher density.

Actually the other reason I prefer Gold is the fact it's harder to fake, Tungsten is the only viable material to fake Gold whereas Silver has many more options. The other issue is checking the damn things. Buying a Silver Monster Box (500 1oz coins) is all well and good but authenticating them is going to be a long process, especially since I'd want them purchased without a paper trail ;)

The closer the ratio goes the less of a problem that becomes. If you really are that worried you can always use Goldmoney.

Remember...silver is not magnetic and it has a very unique ring. If you don't want 500 individual oz...just buy a bigger block.

SIMPLE!

The closer the ratio goes the less of a problem that becomes. If you really are that worried you can always use Goldmoney.

Remember...silver is not magnetic and it has a very unique ring. If you don't want 500 individual oz...just buy a bigger block.

SIMPLE!

You can swallow at least 100 coins, lets see you try swallow or stick up your bum a 10oz bar let alone a 500oz bar!

Guest spp

You can swallow at least 100 coins, lets see you try swallow or stick up your bum a 10oz bar let alone a 500oz bar!

I'll have nobody sticking any kind of foreign object up my butt...thank you very much!

Edited by spp

I'll have nobody sticking any kind of foreign object up my butt...thank you very much!

What if it is a roll of 2010 Britanias or some gold sovs? Cetainly not foreign like say Krugerands or Silver dollars :lol:

I am looking to unload some pre 47 half crowns. Right now I can get £350 per kilo no hassle with a dealer that I use.

If anyone is interested in bettering that for silver coinage then pm me.

I am looking to unload some pre 47 half crowns. Right now I can get £350 per kilo no hassle with a dealer that I use.

If anyone is interested in bettering that for silver coinage then pm me.

1946 half crowns are 50% silver right, so you're looking for £700 per kilo of silver? Thats not bad since the closest I can get is £667 for 750 grams of silver. Shame I'm broke though.

1946 half crowns are 50% silver right, so you're looking for £700 per kilo of silver? Thats not bad since the closest I can get is £667 for 750 grams of silver. Shame I'm broke though.

yep, coins are all 1920-1946. Some collectible coins in there and later coins being unc.

I can get £350 hassle free, not a percentage that I like for coinage but that would be my bottom line.

Yes, it works out at £700 a kilo and bearing in mind that the spot price is £750 then I think that you will understand why I am asking here if anyone wants collectible coinage instead of taking a refinery price and knowing that it will be melted.

yep, coins are all 1920-1946. Some collectible coins in there and later coins being unc.

I can get £350 hassle free, not a percentage that I like for coinage but that would be my bottom line.

Yes, it works out at £700 a kilo and bearing in mind that the spot price is £750 then I think that you will understand why I am asking here if anyone wants collectible coinage instead of taking a refinery price and knowing that it will be melted.

yeah I know its a good offer and I would be interested.... if I still had a job :(

I may be interested, especially if I can buy some on a regular basis. Where in the country are you located?

Its a shame that some older coins get melted as they are a good way to buy silver as an investment coin and just as valid as a maple, eagle or any other silver coin. You dont need a certificate or assaying as you can tell just buy looking that they are .500 silver and 14.1 grams each in the case of a half crown. One day the .500 copper might be taken into consideration too!