House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bubble Pop Electric

Lovely Bearish Report In Local Paper!

I nearly fell over yesterday, when reading my local paper at this headline. The paper (and i don't know if this is usual in many local paper's - my other local doesn't do this) adds the figures for actual house prices sold - how many sold etc. I can't find any details on their webpage - but i'll go through the basics.

House prices 2005 Q1 = £190,277

House prices 2005 Q2 = £173,761

Number sold 2004 Q2 = 390

Number sold this year = 237

There is a graph and charts - it's brilliant!

"Estate Agents send out the message that houses priced realistically will sell and sell quickly, but those who wish to hang out for a better price almost certainly face a longer wait to conclude a sale."

Hmmmm

"But Craven house owners should not be too distraught - the average price of a home has gone up by 71.7 per cent in four years."

Then they start to let themselves down:

"And the downturn could be temporary. The NAEA said that one month after the Bank of England lowered it's interest rates to 4.5 per cent the market is already showing signs of a recovery." Oh dear.

Then they bring themselves back up with a bit about how city folks can regret moving to the sticks. "...just think about whether you will be able to adapt to the slower way of life the country will offer? Are you more likely to get bored and frustrated or will you become a slave to the garden?" Yes - will you beable to cope without electricity, and having to milk your own cows?!!

Anyway they did mention it was the higher priced property that were showing the pinch - and although the smaller houses had gone up a bit the numbers of sales had gone down.

Anyway - it cheered me up no end especially as i was going to work my night shift - and the lady i was taking over from nearly started a fight with me a while ago at the mere suggestion. "Oh they won't go down around here you know!" She snarled at me. I noticed she had the local tucked under her arm - as she always does - didn't want to sound petty though.

I would have written more about the article - but i've just finished a night shift - was quite excited though and had to mention it!

Guest Riser
I nearly fell over yesterday, when reading my local paper at this headline. The paper (and i don't know if this is usual in many local paper's - my other local doesn't do this) adds the figures for actual house prices sold - how many sold etc. I can't find any details on their webpage - but i'll go through the basics.

House prices 2005 Q1 = £190,277

House prices 2005 Q2 = £173,761

Number sold 2004 Q2 = 390

Number sold this year = 237

There is a graph and charts - it's brilliant!

Was that the Craven Herald, I will go and get a copy :)

I am based in Cumbria and last week my wife noticed some big new reducions in our area and we are talking £20 -30k off houses priced around £350 - 400k, it looks like the national ripple has at last reached the north B)

Edited by Riser

Was that the Craven Herald, I will get a copy  :)

I am based in Cumbria and last week my wife noticed some big new reducions in our area and we are talking £20 -30k off houses priced around £350 - 400, it looks like the national ripple has at last reached the north B)

Yes - it is the Craven Herald. It includes the average prices of each post code area, and of each type of house. The graph shows prices on average lower than Q1 2004.

"But Craven house owners should not be too distraught - the average price of a home has gone up by 71.7 per cent in four years."

its rather a dim newspaper that cant see this as a local housing crisis problem, not a cause for celebration. that is, until those village idiots find there children having to live 80 miles away from them in their lonely old age and next doors holiday home empty for 6 months per year.

divvys.

woop woop houses have risen 71% were all rich i tells yer..woop woop.!!!

its rather a dim newspaper that cant see this as a local housing crisis problem, not a cause for celebration. that is, until those village idiots find there children having to live 80 miles away from them in their lonely old age and next doors holiday home empty for 6 months per year.

divvys.

woop woop houses have risen 71% were all rich i tells yer..woop woop.!!!

The first places to go in a recession (forget about HPC, just recession) are the holiday homes. When city types loose their bonuses along with their job they have to cut the fat.

I think pirices will fall, but I really cant see them coming down 60%. It would be nice, but I think you need to take a reality check.

I reckon prices will come down about 20% over the next 3 years.

A four bed house on 16k? Depends where you live I suppose, but definately not in 90% of the country.

i would agree, but you cant rule out something that rose 71% may also fall by 71%. it is not impossible. people are dying. populations falling. downturn is here. inflation is rising. growth is off track. more homes are built. they may never be this high again compared to earnings.

The first places to go in a recession (forget about HPC, just recession) are the holiday homes.  When city types loose their bonuses along with their job they have to cut the fat.

i know its not sustainable anyway. its just annoying that the news paper takes such a blinded stance. just typical of todays stupid, ignorant british public. which i suppose are the plucky readers buying these rags.

next weeks headline is.

leeds town centre binge drinking violence rockets.

then.

craven house prices defy all national trends..!!

week after.

gays rock scarborough.

then some years later.

craven social services in financial meltdown.

Edited by right_freds_dead

Guest horace

When EA`s threaten to advertise elsewhere the news paper my have second thoughts about publishing such articles. Watch this space!!

horace :D