House Price Crash Forum
Alfie Moon

Grant Schapps - Live Q&a Session At 3.00Pm Today

See the following link to The Guardian where Grant Schapps (Housing Minister) will be doing a live Q & A session on the web at 3.00pm today:

Live Q&A: minister for housing, Grant Shapps, 9 March, 3pm - 3.45pmGrant Shapps will be live online answering all your questions

http://www.guardian.co.uk/housing-network/2011/mar/03/grant-shapps-housing-live-q-a

Would be good to see HPC'ers sending in some questions for him to respond to.

See the following link to The Guardian where Grant Schapps (Housing Minister) will be doing a live Q & A session on the web at 3.00pm today:

Live Q&A: minister for housing, Grant Shapps, 9 March, 3pm - 3.45pmGrant Shapps will be live online answering all your questions

http://www.guardian.co.uk/housing-network/2011/mar/03/grant-shapps-housing-live-q-a

Am I just being an eejit or can't you post questions beforehand (can't see anywhere to do this)?

Wednesday 9 March from 3pm – 3.45pm. We'll be opening the blog for comments half an hour beforehand, so be sure to join us then.

So be there at half two!

Wednesday 9 March from 3pm – 3.45pm. We'll be opening the blog for comments half an hour beforehand, so be sure to join us then.

So be there at half two!

Dear Minister,

Why do you think the best way to resolve a crisis about unsustainable levels of personal debt is to make it easier for people to take on unsustainable levels of personal debt?

http://www.guardian....ousing-live-q-a

Minister,

State Owned Lloyds Banking Group have been left holding vast tracts of residential land banks.

What is to stop the Government seize-ing these vast tracts of residential land from Lloyds?

1.] Setting up a Development Trust for First Time Buyer's.

2.] Allowing just One FTB to buy just one plot of land, for a vastly reduced rate, [60% off current land values.]

[With the caveat that each FTB must borrow from Lloyds, to build a house on their plot.]

[The Trust could include a clause which states that FTB'er's cannot sell the land/house for ten years.

And then only back to the Development Trust for a fair market value.

And that the Development Trust must retain the land, to sell onto another FTB.

That way the land always remain's as 'affordable']

--------------------------------------------------------------

Giving/Selling Cheap Land to FTB should be more politically acceptable to the government than a 50% + House Price Crash occuring.

[As you are aware, there are historical presidents for states giving away land, in a number countries]

Now would be the perfect time to consider it. Whilst the government own a stake in Lloyds, who hold huge residential land banks.

Consider:

It would spread the pain of deficit reduction more equally, whilst still letting the air gradually out of the housing bubble.

The gov's intention must not be to turn a profit……[Hence setting up a Development Trust.]

In one fell swoop the Coalition would win a lot of voters back on side. And it would not affect homeowners as much as an outright crash would.

Lloyds cannot sell their land anyway. This solution would be much 'fairer' and preferable to the Lloyds shareholders, than governments plans to give away Lloyds shares for free. Lloyds could supply the mortgages for all the plots, via the trust, to FTB's.

Simply calling for lower prices, has gotten FTB's nowhere, for years. But we know that the government could help FTB if they really wanted to.

Surely this would be a much Fairer democratic balance, and a more equal spread of deficit reduction, than stealing FTB money to bail out Lloyds, so FTB, are paying to keep 'everyone else's' property massively overinflated, ensuring FTB'ers can never afford their own property, and remain in 'debt slavery?'

Especially considering it was systemic fraud which fuelled high house prices for over ten years. And FTB have already been forced to waste tens upon tens of thousands of pounds in 'wasted' rent already?[Working for years with nothing to show for it is soul destroying.]

Whats stopping you from doing this? Its not really any more complicated than the [Rip off] shared ownership schemes the government have been unsuccesfully peddling for years.

[Any agreement would also have to entail relaxed planning, for those who wanted to build Eco/Straw bale/Cob style houses. Which have been built in the UK for centuries. And are cheaper to construct]

[House Prices rose threefold because of government incompetence, greed, undisputed fraud and now theft. How can a British Government in the 21C support this? Is this your idea of a fair society? If so, its no different to Gordon Browns. And you should expect years of riots]

Edited by Dan1

(...) Grant Schapps (Housing Minister) will be doing a live Q & A session on the web at 3.00pm today:

Nah... Really?! :o Too good to be true. :D

I'll be there! Thanks for the heads up!

People, I think questions must be very short, to the point.

And "Liar Loans" must be there! :D Really, Liar Loans must be forbidden. Not only as a homage to Eric, but because politically Shapps will not be able to defend them in public.

Shapps will be able to wiggle-out of most other questions, but Liar Loans have no defence possible. OK, he may try to escape saying it's a FSA's decision... but of course he has an opinion on them, and influence!

People, I think questions must be very short, to the point.

Fairplay, but I'm sending mine in anyway. [id prefer a 50% + crash, but if they intend to draw it out over ten years, Im hedging. Although stochastically speaking, the ten year cycle seems likely.]

[Working my **** off for another decade, paying for someone elses mortgage and retirement, with nothing to show for it at the end, because of theft, fraud, when its not my lifetime of debt, would drive me round the bend.]

The bottom line is, if any government were serious about helping FTB, there are many many ways in which they could make houses affordable for us again.

If they do not. We must accept that they have decided to place us in debt slavery.

If they do not have a plan to help us, we should acknowledge that their plan is to hurt us.

And their trick is to pretend that there is nothing they can do, except show fake sympathy at the plight of FTB

When all we are asking for is a fair chance. The same as they had.

Edited by Dan1

Fairplay, but I'm sending mine in anyway.[id prefer a 50% + crash, but if they intend to draw it our over ten years, Im hedging] :D

Sorry Dan1, I hadn't seen your post when I uploaded my post. It wasn't meant as a direct criticism.

I did like your suggestion though, very much.

Minister,

State Owned Lloyds Banking Group have been left holding vast tracts of residential land banks.

What is to stop the Government seize-ing these vast tracts of residential land from Lloyds?

1.] Setting up a Development Trust for First Time Buyer's.

2.] Allowing just One FTB to buy just one plot of land, for a vastly reduced rate, [60% off current land values.]

(...)

Sorry Dan1, I hadn't seen your post when I uploaded my post. It wasn't meant as a direct criticism.

I did like your suggestion though, very much.

Thanks mate.

So short questions or long ones?

Things like:

Why is shared ownership better than lower house prices?

Is shared ownership a con?

Will shared ownership mean that our grandchildren will only be able to buy even smaller % of properties?

Would low cost social housing be a better option for young people than shared ownership?

Is more council housing the best way of boosting the economy?

Would lower rents give people more money to spend in the wider economy?

Would lower rents make the UK more able to compete on a global basis?

Feel free to steal these as I'm sure I'll have come up with some more by then.

So short questions or long ones?

Things like:

Will shared ownership mean that our grandchildren will only be able to buy even smaller % of properties?

Would low cost social housing be a better option for young people than shared ownership?

Short is best I think, he'll want to get through a lot.

Q #1 is the killer, I'd love to hear the minister's response to that.

(...)

Feel free to steal these as I'm sure I'll have come up with some more by then.

Nice.

Hey, I just remember one v. important thing: the word bubble ! We are still near the peak of the biggest house price bubble in British history, and yet many people didn't realise that yet!

and the answer is............

Innovation

Go on Grantley, you know you want to :lol:

Shall we have a sweepstake? - I'll go for him using it 7 times..

My effort:

You have stated that you would like to see house price affordability achieved through house prices growth being lower than earnings growth. Given that this process would take so long it would leave an entire generation priced out, can you justify why you believe this is a price worth paying to protect the minority of homeowners who bought at the peak of the bubble?

My little list of draft questions :D Comments welcomed. And plagiarism will be welcomed as well. :)

We are a young couple no longer. A slow price correction of 2% per year won’t do. Either you fix this robbery much faster, or we will emigrate, taking our 4 degrees with us (we couldn’t afford to have children yet).

Alternative version: "We are a youngish couple, tax-payers, private tenants, being robbed from all sides. Either you fix ... (as above)

A property bubble increases the cost of everything - for households, businesses and governments. They increase living costs, production costs and government costs (and taxes), thus reducing Britain's international competitiveness, impoverishing us all. Please deflate this bubble.

This house price bubble was inflated by demand being boosted by too much cheap credit, and supply blocked by planning restriction and NIMBYs. Credit has gone. Good. Now can you unblock supply please?

Did you know that a million houses would need less than 0.1% (a tenth of 1%) of Britain’s land? A million plots of 150 sq.m. each equals 150 sq. km. Britain has 243,610 sq. km. Please remove this planning blockage.

Planning blockage made building land extremely expensive. Please help.

This property prices bubble is a self-inflicted cost increase across the board, for households, businesses and even governments. It is just stupid.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

. And plagiarism will be welcomed as well. :) My little list of draft questions

+1

Its all good.

The friggin government really need to open their eyes to the plight of FTB.

Shapp's post should be a cabinet post.

Edited by Dan1

What innovation does Mr Schapps suggest is implemented to pop the bubble?

lol +1

Thank you for the link

My question

This country needs to reduce costs, leaving working couples more disposable income to spend on local services.

One way of reducing costs would be to introduce a rental cap.

This could be done by introducing rent cap of maximum 8% of the tenants council tax.

ie yearly council tax bill £1,500

8% = £120 weekly maximum rental charge

Mr Shapps the lower the percentage, the lower housing benefits need to be paid to the landlord.

What innovation does Mr Schapps suggest is implemented to pop the bubble?

Why not innovate by leaving the housing market alone? Withdraw all subsidies, direct and indirect (including insurance of bad bank debt), and let the market sort it out? Has to be far better than taxing working people so that welfare recipients can get homes that the taxed cannot afford.

My parents, the generation before me, did not have to resort to shared ownership to buy a house (The Milk Snatcher gave it to them at half price but that's another story). The people I work with approx 10-15 years older than I (half a generation) did not have to resort to shared ownership to buy and house. WTF am I left to buy only half (or less!) a friggin' house?

What has gone wrong and why haven't you got a better solution than shared ownership?