House Price Crash Forum
Sledgehead

Hsbc Economist: 'food Price Riots In The Uk' Possible

I have just discovered my local Farm Shop, can`t believe how cheap and fresh the produce is. The Farmer`s Wife bakes bread which is fantastic, the eggs are cheap and poultry is slaughtered and prepared to order. With selected Bogofs at my local Tesco Mrs CTT has now passed the shopping to me. Last week I cut the shopping bill by £40. :D

Thank you, Ben Bernanke.

But please Sir, there's all the natural disasters and speculators, and it's not as if traders are always telling us that demand is far more important than supply issues (I'm sure they might even have said quite the opposite one thurday back in 2001 or was it 2002? Or was it a wednesday? ... erm ... )

Edited by Sledgehead

I have just discovered my local Farm Shop, can`t believe how cheap and fresh the produce is. The Farmer`s Wife bakes bread which is fantastic, the eggs are cheap and poultry is slaughtered and prepared to order. With selected Bogofs at my local Tesco Mrs CTT has now passed the shopping to me. Last week I cut the shopping bill by £40. :D

And your local farm shop will remain that cheap if everyone leaves tesco and goes there instead, will it?

I still can't see the inflation. Some prices go up, others go down, and some that are said to be going up I've managed to drive down by shopping around. Apart from fuel, which I expect to collapse later in the year.

Maybe it's different for families?

I understand people's concerns, but until it hits me in the pocket I refuse to believe.

And your local farm shop will remain that cheap if everyone leaves tesco and goes there instead, will it?

:lol: And lose the custom by their new clientèle leaving them and returning to Tesco. ;)

You would not believe the response of Farmers how they have been controlled and dictated to by the big Supermarkets and would give anything to cut them up. :D

Thank you, Ben Bernanke.

And an extra round of applause for Mervyn on keyboard.

(PC that is, entering in extra 000s)

There will be riots in the UK but not with food as a standalone issue.

But anyway, you live in a village. Your village has no shops. They all closed down because Tesco opened a mega store 5 miles away. You run out of bread. You got a ten mile round trip. The price of a loaf has hit £2.50. Petrol has hit £3 a litre. You drive to Tesco to buy the bread in your 4x4. It costs you 6 notes for a loaf of bread. You buy a few things you didn't plan to on your credit card too - a gressingham duck, some fois gras and a kilo of pine nuts. You get back, slump in your favourite chair (fair trade no less and carved by blind Romanian tramps) that you are in the process of forced selling on ebay and think............'why didn't I just eat feckin cake instead'

I still can't see the inflation. Some prices go up, others go down, and some that are said to be going up I've managed to drive down by shopping around. Apart from fuel, which I expect to collapse later in the year.

Maybe it's different for families?

I understand people's concerns, but until it hits me in the pocket I refuse to believe.

Really?? Where do you shop?

My dozen free range eggs from Morrisons were £2.62 until two weeks ago when the price rose to £2.83. 340g of Princes corned beef at the same supermarket costs £2.48!!! It's now cheaper to buy lean beef mince, go figure!

I stopped buying corned beef (unless on offer) last year when the price hit >£1.79

It'll be a cold day in hell when I pay nearly £2.50 for corned beef (unless these food riots do kick off then I suspect long lasting sources of protein such as corned beef might skyrocket in price).

She's not selling anything specific, she's marketing her employee. Banks employ economists mostly to generate a bit of publicity and maybe stir up some business as a result. If she had any real predictive powers they'd have her managing an investment fund not sprouting garbage to the press.

She's not selling anything specific, she's marketing her employee. Banks employ economists mostly to generate a bit of publicity and maybe stir up some business as a result. If she had any real predictive powers they'd have her managing an investment fund not sprouting garbage to the press

:lol:

Thanks for that. Nothing like a good laugh first thing in the morning.

If you've the time, turn the clock back 30 years and visit more than one shop. I do now. Aldi for fruit, veg, curry sauces, nan breads and breakfast cereals. Sainsbury's for meat, pasta sauces, tuna when it's on offer. Asda for muesli, chicken, occasional frozen meals. Morrisons for sugar, bread, chilled meals. Lidl for pizzas (hmmmm).

Spending about the same as 6 months ago. HOWEVER, all the above are within 4 miles of me.

My 'retired' mother works part-time at Tesco and even with her discount card, hardly buys anything there. They queue 3 deep in there at a weekend and she can't understand it. They aren't even that cheap and the quality of some if it is poor. Anecdotal of course!

So many people seem addicted to buying everything in one shop because they say 'I haven't time.' Rubbish. Congratulations to the PR men and advertisers for the brainwashing.

Edited by deflation

People just don't seem to be educated in the UK about eating well. Am always amazed to see people in the local takeaway on a weekday night, just don't know how they afford it. You can still make a big pan of broth (carrots, turnip, potatoes, onion, pearl barley, stock) for less than 50p a serving. Far better for you than a takeaway and incredibly cheap. Yet people seem fixated on the price of processed rubbish, not realising how easy and cheap it can be to cook from scratch.

Yet people seem fixated on the price of processed rubbish, not realising how easy and cheap it can be to cook from scratch.

It's just laziness. I understand it though, as I eat out half the time here though it's much cheaper than Britain. Plus I'm a lazy git anyway.

It's just laziness. I understand it though, as I eat out half the time here though it's much cheaper than Britain. Plus I'm a lazy git anyway.

Where are you? Land of the Rising Sun perhaps???

Warning Of 'Food Price Riots In The UK' - Sky - http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Warning-Of-Food-Price-Riots-skynews-2424687063.html?x=0

"The comments come as the United Nations warned the cost of food is now at the highest level for 21 years and set to rise further."

She went on to highlight the link between high food prices and the escalating cost of crude oil.

...doh.... :rolleyes: ...she gets paid for this...?.... <_<

No Tesco will have to match the local farm shop......people will less money and no access to credit will spend less, that means they can't spend more.....so they shop around.....there is plenty of choice, the only shops that seem to be opening are supermarkets...more stuff, less stuff to buy the stuff with. ;)

People just don't seem to be educated in the UK about eating well. Am always amazed to see people in the local takeaway on a weekday night, just don't know how they afford it. You can still make a big pan of broth (carrots, turnip, potatoes, onion, pearl barley, stock) for less than 50p a serving. Far better for you than a takeaway and incredibly cheap. Yet people seem fixated on the price of processed rubbish, not realising how easy and cheap it can be to cook from scratch.

+ 100 and 1. ;)

My modest back garden is being turned into a tiny farm this year. I've been surprised how much growing space you can cram in.

Don't forget the scare crow... ;)

Supermarket

6 crusty rolls. 65p least week. 75p this week.

8 orange lollies, in exactly the same box as last week, for exactly thee same price, when the box held ten. [20% increase in seven days]

I notice little stealthflation increases every week. But normally only after I get back home......sneaky @*&!

Edited by Dan1