House Price Crash Forum
Guest The Relaxation Suite

Dust Bowl Could Return To U.s.

"For years the Ogallala Aquifer, the world’s largest underground body of fresh water, has irrigated thousands of square miles of American farmland. Now it is running dry."

If this happened, it would only heap more negative pressure on the US economy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/8359076/US-farmers-fear-the-return-of-the-Dust-Bowl.html

Edited by Tecumseh

"For years the Ogallala Aquifer, the world’s largest underground body of fresh water, has irrigated thousands of square miles of American farmland. Now it is running dry."

If this happened, it would only heap more negative pressure on the US economy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/8359076/US-farmers-fear-the-return-of-the-Dust-Bowl.html

I dont think its the largest body of underground water. That's the artesian basin in Oz I believe.

I dont think its the largest body of underground water. That's the artesian basin in Oz I believe.

You're right it is. Thanks to the floods in Aus they're thinking a lot of lakes that have been dry for decades are all coming out to play this year. They will have topped up the GAB nicely.

Amazing, never heard of it, that thing is huge.

Not much use to the Yanks though ;)

The Australians export most of their bees to the Americans to keep their crops going, maybe they could start shipping fresh water across the Pacific. Remember the two countries are about the same, but one has to sustain 310 million people and the other has to sustain 22 million people.