House Price Crash Forum
Hyperduck Quack Quack

Britain's Highest Paid Public Sector Worker To Get More Pay Than Entire Cabinet

I read today that the chief of RBS, which is 87% owned by taxpayers, is to get a pay package of something around £7 million in 2011.

The combined salaries of all cabinet ministers including the prime minister only come to around £4 million.

OK, the government might not be all that good and the Torylition will go pear-shaped before long but there's one thing I don't quite get.

If banks need to pay their top bosses these obscene salaries in order to attract men of the right calibre, how come the world's banking system was plunged into crisis by banks run by men receiving obscenely high salaries?

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

In fact the boss of RBS is to be paid £7.7 million, almost TWICE as much as the combined salaries of all cabinet ministers - and RBS is virtually state-owned. Where is the proof that paying exorbitant salaries to bank bosses ensures strong performance? That hasn't always been the case in the recent past.

see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12682395

They need to pay bank bosses the huge salaries to compensate then for the public anger and outrage they're subjected to as a result of being paid huge salaries :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12682395

Royal Bank of Scotland chief executive Stephen Hester has been awarded a pay package currently worth £7.7m for 2010.

That includes £6.5m worth of shares that won't be available for three years. Two-thirds of these are pegged to meeting management targets.

Depending on what happens and the share price recovers wouldn't his pay day be even bigger?

ffs - Gordon brown made the legislation that led to this

Labour

hear that?

Labour

not the Lib dems

not the Tories

your lot

the statists

Labour

Gordon Brown

blame your foolish friends

fs - Gordon brown made the legislation that led to this

Labour

hear that?

Labour

not the Lib dems

not the Tories

your lot

the statists

Labour

Gordon Brown

blame your foolish friends

In case you hadn't noticed, Gordon Brown and Labour have been out of office for almost a year now and all the Torylition have done so far is change the mood music that accompanies the continuing socio-economic disaster that's playing out in Britain.

If David Cameron and George Osborne can cut swathes through the infrastructure of society with impunity, it beggars belief that they couldn't have done something about this obscene pay award given to someone who is effectively a public sector employee.

Besides, Labour might have been foolish but they weren't my friends. I was a Lib Dem voter all my life and I've only gone over to Labour since Nick Clegg betrayed his voters in order to let the Tories rule unchallenged. All three parties are a disgrace, to be honest, but by the time the Torylition is finished, probably within the year, we'll need a Labour government again to sort out the mess left by the Tories as they tried and failed to sort out the mess made by the previous Labour government. :lol::lol:

In case you hadn't noticed, Gordon Brown and Labour have been out of office for almost a year now and all the Torylition have done so far is change the mood music that accompanies the continuing socio-economic disaster that's playing out in Britain.

If David Cameron and George Osborne can cut swathes through the infrastructure of society with impunity, it beggars belief that they couldn't have done something about this obscene pay award given to someone who is effectively a public sector employee.

It takes an awful lot of work to rectify 13 years of pure incompetance.

Seeing as every year we have to borrow 140billion quid to pay for McRuins decisions then personally I think the coalition should focus on the big numbers first. Also saying this chap can only earn 25K does not dent the deficit one little bit because he is not paid out of current govt borrowing.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

it's contract law, can't be rescinded, certainly can't be fixed in a year

the dirty little secret of the statists is that they f*cked up

really badly

In fact the boss of RBS is to be paid £7.7 million, almost TWICE as much as the combined salaries of all cabinet ministers - and RBS is virtually state-owned. Where is the proof that paying exorbitant salaries to bank bosses ensures strong performance? That hasn't always been the case in the recent past.

see: http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-12682395

They need to pay bank bosses the huge salaries to compensate then for the public anger and outrage they're subjected to as a result of being paid huge salaries :lol:

I don't see what you Masons find eviLLy funny. But I suppose we have to bear it!

£7.7 = Ga Ga (G '7')

Edited by erranta

It takes an awful lot of work to rectify 13 years of pure incompetance.

Seeing as every year we have to borrow 140billion quid to pay for McRuins decisions then personally I think the coalition should focus on the big numbers first. Also saying this chap can only earn 25K does not dent the deficit one little bit because he is not paid out of current govt borrowing.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Nobody said he should only earn £25 K, but even if he earned one tenth of what he's getting he'd still be the highest paid public sector employee.

Give or take the odd year or two, we've had failing government for most of the time since Jim Callaghan's 'winter of discontent'. Even during those years of the Thatcher-Lawson boom or the seemingly successful early years of the Blair government, decisions were being made that led to later disasters.

The former led to 'inward investment' replacing our manufacturing base and privatisations that paved the way for foreign takeovers a few years down the line. And it all led to boom and bust.

The latter made big investments that brought genuine improvements in some public services.....and while that might not have led directly led to boom and bust, it made the bust bit that much worse when it came.

Nobody said he should only earn £25 K, but even if he earned one tenth of what he's getting he'd still be the highest paid public sector employee.

Give or take the odd year or two, we've had failing government for most of the time since Jim Callaghan's 'winter of discontent'. Even during those years of the Thatcher-Lawson boom or the seemingly successful early years of the Blair government, decisions were being made that led to later disasters.

The former led to 'inward investment' replacing our manufacturing base and privatisations that paved the way for foreign takeovers a few years down the line. And it all led to boom and bust.

The latter made big investments that brought genuine improvements in some public services.....and while that might not have led directly led to boom and bust, it made the bust bit that much worse when it came.

When losing argument stock response try to change the discussion.

Pathetic really pathetic.

140 billion quid a year borrowing has nothing to do with previous govts before brown.

When losing argument stock response try to change the discussion.

Pathetic really pathetic.

140 billion quid a year borrowing has nothing to do with previous govts before brown.

Ralphmalph, I'm talking about the pure incompetence not the £140 billion, you fool. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Ralphmalph, I'm talking about the incompetence not the £140 billion, you fool.

If you are then post his "Gordon Brown was incompetent."

Because we believe you think the sun shines out of his ****.

If you are then post his "Gordon Brown was incompetent."

Because we believe you think the sun shines out of his ****.

'We' ? Like you have a little clique or something? I don't think anyone could ever accuse me of praising Gordon Brown. It didn't take long for him to take over the crown of 'Britain's Worst Prime Minister' from Margaret Thatcher. Like Thatcher ensured we wouldn't have another woman PM for a long time, Brown's kept the premiership a Scotsman-free zone for the next decade or two, I reckon. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

'We' ? Like you have a little clique or something? I don't think anyone could ever accuse me of praising Gordon Brown. It didn't take long for him to take over the crown of 'Britain's Worst Prime Minister' from Margaret Thatcher. Like Thatcher ensured we wouldn't have another woman PM for a long time, Brown's kept the premiership a Scotsman-free zone for the next decade or two, I reckon.

So Brown was not incompetant he was just "Scottish."

So in your world are all Scottish people incompetant and the English the master race?

So Brown was not incompetant he was just "Scottish."

So in your world are all Scottish people incompetant and the English the master race?

I think you have just made a bit of a fool of yourself in front of all the HPC regulars :lol: Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

I think you have just made a bit of a fool of yourself in front of all the HPC regulars :lol:

You're the major FOOL

"Duck-speak" is Masonic code for anyone who "speaks out" and doesn't keep calm.

That's how they control you, compart-mentalize you and they back it up with the usual 'cult threats' if you do try to speak out under duress or try to leave the Masonic cult (esp in higher degrees).

You're Quackers! :(

We, the 87% shareholders of this public company, should get a vote on this bloke's pay! :angry:

Edited by MrPin

Besides, Labour might have been foolish but they weren't my friends. I was a Lib Dem voter all my life and I've only gone over to Labour since Nick Clegg betrayed his voters in order to let the Tories rule unchallenged.

Out of interest, what would have been you preferred outcome, given the result of the votes cast by the electorate?

Whether or not the system is a good one is by the by.

Sadly the labour govt not only spent like there was no tomorrow, but they also stitched up the UK with tons of silly long term contracts that cost more to break than to continue with.

Without changing the law to be able to dismiss contracts undertaken by a previous govt (And what companies would want to do work with the uk govt again? Perhaps thats a good thing though) there's not a lot they can do.

Labour f&cked up the UK for at least the next 30 years.