House Price Crash Forum

The Bank Of Mum And Dad

HOLA441
HOLA442

No it isn't.

The housing market, like all other markets, is governed totally by supply and demand.

Supply of the key component in housing is fixed and demand (buying) is legally enforced. I'm afraid the housing market isn't at all like other markets and treating it as if it is will lead you to incorrect conclusions.

Demand however, is influenced by many factors - principal amongst them being the amount of money available to those with the desire to purchase.

Does the price of apples shoot up if the people buying them have lots of money? Will the price rise until their surplus is absorbed by apple prices? See? you are inventing special market rules to try and explain the 'odd' behaviour of the real estate market. It would be simpler if you re-examined your base assumptions

Edited by Stars

HOLA443

Does the price of apples shoot up if the people buying them have lots of money?

If supply remains constant, then yes!

The housing market is no different to any other in that it is governed absolutely by the law of Supply and Demand.

What makes it different are the unique influences upon the 'Supply' and the 'Demand' sides of the equation.

I don't think you understand what 'Demand' really means...

HOLA444

Does the price of apples shoot up if the people buying them have lots of money?

Presumably, yes. To put it another way, what was the price of apples in 1850 when people had less money?

I think it's worth distinguishing between high-volume (e.g. apples) and low-volume assets (e.g. houses, fine art), but they are both subject to most of the same considerations, just at a different scale.

In general, high volume assets are more immune to asset-bubbles, for the simple reason that people can see that there is no prospect of scarcity. However, I spent a few years running a 2nd hand book and comic shop, and I can assure you that bubbles can occur even in products where no scarcity exists...

HOLA445
HOLA446

The wife was just watching a program where Kirsty Allsop said that 80% of young people who buy houses now are helped by their parents.

I will go on record as saying that I will lend my children money to buy cars, give them money to spend at the pub, but I will absolutely not lend, or give, them money to buy a house.

Can I just point out that if you lend / donate money to your grandchildren for cars, beer, food, whatever, you are indirectly funding their purchase of a house if they desire to buy one. They can simply borrow 5K off you to buy a car and then put the 5K they haven't had to fork out towards a deposit.

So I don't really understand your point here.

HOLA447

So is it different or isn't it different?

I presume he means that supply and demand still govern the price, but there are specific factors influencing the supply and demand levels.

To put it another way, seasonal veg and fruit doesn't have a constant supply (okay, not so true these days, but ykwim), but eggs do. However, both are still subject to the basic rules of S&D...

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Do we need a few burned bank of mum and dad cases to go mainsteam to highlight the risks in allowing your kids to buy overpriced assets at bubble prices. On the basis there are not enough banks of mum and dads to prop up this ponzi market I feel a few may eventually help our cause.

Edited by W1zard

HOLA4411

Can I just point out that if you lend / donate money to your grandchildren for cars, beer, food, whatever, you are indirectly funding their purchase of a house if they desire to buy one. They can simply borrow 5K off you to buy a car and then put the 5K they haven't had to fork out towards a deposit.

So I don't really understand your point here.

Don't worry, I do.

HOLA4412

There were Ewoks?

Heh - no, I was just suggesting that things don't quite work that way in this universe. i.e. if you buy your kid a car, they don't then save the same amount for a house (mainly 'cos if they've got the spare cash for that, wtf are you buying them a car in the first place?). Bottom line, they were probably not going to buy a car without your help, since they didn't have the dosh...

HOLA4413

Heh - no, I was just suggesting that things don't quite work that way in this universe. i.e. if you buy your kid a car, they don't then save the same amount for a house (mainly 'cos if they've got the spare cash for that, wtf are you buying them a car in the first place?). Bottom line, they were probably not going to buy a car without your help, since they didn't have the dosh...

Exactly.

I lent two of my children the money (interest free) to buy a car each and take advantage of the scrappage scheme. They had ten year old cars that were on their last legs, so the timing was good. They are paying me back by standing order and will have paid it all back this year. You could argue that if they weren't each paying me back £250 a month, they may have taken out a mortgage.

HOLA4414

Exactly.

I lent two of my children the money (interest free) to buy a car each and take advantage of the scrappage scheme. They had ten year old cars that were on their last legs, so the timing was good. They are paying me back by standing order and will have paid it all back this year. You could argue that if they weren't each paying me back £250 a month, they may have taken out a mortgage.

I hope they were not liar loans or self cert. Eric would be most upset if you have turned into a bankster.

HOLA4415

Do we need a few burned bank of mum and dad cases to go mainsteam to highlight the risks in allowing your kids to buy overpriced assets at bubble prices. On the basis there are not enough banks of mum and dads to prop up this ponzi market I feel a few may eventually help our cause.

It will take a while before the burnt BOMAD case start appearing unfortunately

HOLA4416

Does the price of apples shoot up if the people buying them have lots of money? Will the price rise until their surplus is absorbed by apple prices? See? you are inventing special market rules to try and explain the 'odd' behaviour of the real estate market. It would be simpler if you re-examined your base assumptions

Apples would be a better analogy if apples were the only fruit on the market that most people would be happy to eat. Still more so if fruit was our staple diet and not largely interchangeable with other foodstuffs.

Gold would be a slightly better analogy, but you have to imagine being taxed to give free gold to a bunch of lucky winners.