House Price Crash Forum

Huge Blow To The Economy Of Recycling Paper Products

HOLA441

The fallout from this is going to be huge--it will mean a complete overhaul of the packaging business and packaging costs as much or more than the stuff in the box. A mega blow to the green movement. Spoiling the ship for a hapeth comes to mind.

why is "packaged crap is bad for you" either a) a surprise or B) a blow to the green movement

If it encourages examination of packaging full stop and how to save on the bulk of packaging (by transporting goods locally rather than halfway across the country) this will be a boon for the green movement, and hopefully reduce carbon emissions to fight global warming

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

So can someone tell me why printing ink used on recycled cardboard is more dangerous than the same ink used on new cardboard?

Perhaps they use non-toxic inks. Which can also be used for newspapers.

Perhaps a suitable inner packaging could solve the problem too.

Perhaps it's not a 'Huge blow to the economy of recycling paper products' after all.

Perhaps the OP is a bit TFH.

HOLA447

I do see what you mean, but if we think about it there are so many instances where food is touched by others and is uncovered so susceptible to airborne germs....all we can do is try and prevent as much contamination as possible buy covering things, wearing gloves or using an implement to pick it up with.....would not stop me buying pick and mix if it meant, eating well, saving money and saving on wasteful and expensive packaging that gets chucked in the bin. I would rather they employed someone to serve me with my choices than paying for card and advertising.....anyway who knows who has touched it before it was put into its packet........what you describe above is not a place I would buy my food from though. ;)

Which all seems to say that the idea of it is far worse than the reality of it. The human immune system has evolved to cope with far more than that, day in, day out. If people aren't falling ill from it all the time then even if it sounds unpleasant there's no risk worth thinking about. All those adverts saying "There are all these germs on your kitchen worktop!" Well, since I'm not always getting ill then I can only assume that it's telling me that having them there is harmless.

HOLA448

Perhaps they use non-toxic inks. Which can also be used for newspapers.

Perhaps a suitable inner packaging could solve the problem too.

Perhaps it's not a 'Huge blow to the economy of recycling paper products' after all.

Perhaps the OP is a bit TFH.

The moves are being made in an attempt to prevent the mineral oils which come from printing inks contaminating the food contents, with the plastic which holds the cereal inside each box unable to protect it.

HOLA449

It's where people touch food you might end up eating without having washed their hands or being able to stop themselves from spitting when they talk, or sneezing over food you end up buying.

Mints by the till at restaurants are supposed to have more ecoli than the loos.

There's used to be a food pick and mix in the underground bit of the Arndale. Huge tubs of stuff. All with scoups to get the stuff out... Used to be a cheap way of buying rice and stuff but you have to worry about how many people have had their sleeves in it.

Do you know how far particulate matter and air drops travel when someone sneezes or flushes the loo? I'm not advocating eating mints that smell like they have shit on them, but really, there is worrying and there is worrying.

You have a super immune system, carry on - wash your fresh food before eating them but don't worry about all the rest, eat and be merry!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Oh come on i bet you blokes used to have fish and chips in newspaper back in your youf :lol:

Still , why can't they just change the ink type on the newspaper printing? Or just wait until they don't make newspapers anymore , in 10 years or so.

Good point.

This shit really scares me.

I had a skinfull of beer on friday and ordered an extra large Doner kebab and chips on the way home. It`s a bit hazy but I think it was served in a cardboard box. Should I be worried? Have I been poisoned?

Yes. You will have AIDS on Thursday and Cancer by next Wednesday. Sorry to thear that. I wish you luck. :D

Which all seems to say that the idea of it is far worse than the reality of it. The human immune system has evolved to cope with far more than that, day in, day out. If people aren't falling ill from it all the time then even if it sounds unpleasant there's no risk worth thinking about. All those adverts saying "There are all these germs on your kitchen worktop!" Well, since I'm not always getting ill then I can only assume that it's telling me that having them there is harmless.

Very true. This very weekend I have had a couple of lapdancers grind up against me. Who knows what sort of stuff I have been exposed for. And they also made me have a little suck of their nipple. Just think how many other blokes did that - I am doomed !!

Actually I am perfectly fine. I must have super immune due to this constant exposure to filth.