House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Huge Blow To The Economy Of Recycling Paper Products

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8367881/Cereal-box-health-risk-after-recycled-cardboard-study.html

Cereal box health risk after recycled cardboard study
Breakfast cereal manufacturers are to stop using recycled cardboard in packaging after a study indicated that current boxes could pose a cancer risk.
Jordans has already stopped using recycled cardboard, while Kellogg's and Weetabix say they are taking steps to reduce the risk to human health.
The alert was sparked when researchers in Switzerland found that mineral oils in printing ink from recycled newspapers used in cardboard can get into foods - even passing through protective inner plastic bags.
Brands of pasta and rice which are packaged in recycled cardboard could also pose a risk.
Dr Koni Grob, of the Food Safety Laboratory in Zurich, said toxicologists had linked the oils to inflammation of internal organs and even cancer, though he stressed that individual meals would contain only a tiny dose of the chemicals.
The BBC reported that cereal firm Jordans has stopped using recycled cardboard while other manufacturers are reducing levels of mineral oils in packaging.

Another major blow to the cost of going green. Often wondered why so much cancer and stomach issues around in recent years. Now we know--toxic food products.

maybe its the original printing ink thats causing the illness...you know, a person handles the neat stuff on printed material?

maybe its the original printing ink thats causing the illness...you know, a person handles the neat stuff on printed material?

Well this is the huge bit of the story they have almost ignored.

Recycled cardboard is made from RECYCLED stuff that we have already come into contact with.

If they are saying that the inks used in magazines and newspapers are bad for us then they should be more explicit.

Recycled cardboard is made from RECYCLED stuff that we have already come into contact with.

If they are saying that the inks used in magazines and newspapers are bad for us then they should be more explicit.

The fallout from this is going to be huge--it will mean a complete overhaul of the packaging business and packaging costs as much or more than the stuff in the box. A mega blow to the green movement. Spoiling the ship for a hapeth comes to mind.

Don't worry about recycling RB, all those greenbacks you're sitting on will make wonderful toilet paper i.e. return to their intrinsic value.

Nothing has intrinsic value as the market determines price. Gold has never recaptured its IA high of 1980 which dispels the myth of intrinsicity.

However, the one thing that may be getting closer to having intrinsic value is water.

BOT though--I have already taken my cereals out of the box and kept them in the bag which is probably too little too late!

The fallout from this is going to be huge--it will mean a complete overhaul of the packaging business and packaging costs as much or more than the stuff in the box. A mega blow to the green movement. Spoiling the ship for a hapeth comes to mind.

To bad that the chinese have bought all the recycled cardboard !!

That's just common sense. Everyone knows that ingesting ink is bad for you? Surely! that's why they banned fish n chips in old newspaper. The thing here is that it's getting into foodstuffs from recycled sources a process previously thought safe.

That's just common sense. Everyone knows that ingesting ink is bad for you? Surely! that's why they banned fish n chips in old newspaper. The thing here is that it's getting into foodstuffs from recycled sources a process previously thought safe.

indeed:

wiki says: but concerns over ink poisoning (especially relating to the use of lead type in newspaper production)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips

Elsewhere it lists toluene and other nasties...

Edited by SarahBell

Oh come on i bet you blokes used to have fish and chips in newspaper back in your youf :lol:

Still , why can't they just change the ink type on the newspaper printing? Or just wait until they don't make newspapers anymore , in 10 years or so.

They could steam wash it before use.......I thought cereals were put into a plastic bag before put in the box ;)

They were saying that these toxins can go through the plastic inside wrappers.

Oh come on i bet you blokes used to have fish and chips in newspaper back in your youf :lol:

Still , why can't they just change the ink type on the newspaper printing? Or just wait until they don't make newspapers anymore , in 10 years or so.

I cant see how having your fish and chips in a newspaper can make them anymore toxic than they were originally.

Perhaps I should just stick to deep fried mars bars.

They were saying that these toxins can go through the plastic inside wrappers.

.....what about visiting the shop with our own containers and buying it by the lb/Kg or selling non fragile cereal like muesli in bags as a matter of course....recycled paper and card can be used for other things not connected with food if it is supposedly that bad for us. ;)

Edited by winkie

Ken might be able to help with this, isn't there some sort of minced pork dumpling you can make and fluff up with cardboard, ie instead of 100% pork you have something like 20% pork 80% cardboard in the dumpling... mmmmmmm.

Also, there is probably a world of difference between handling (dried) ink and eating the bloody thing, you wouldn't eat a newspaper, would you?

Everything is a bloody health risk. There's a one in a billion chance of you getting a slight rash from handling this product, shock, horror, must be banned, rethink everything! They've cried wolf and been far too paranoid for far too long for me to take anything seriously involving health and dangers. I'll continue ignoring them because almost certainly nothing will happen to me and I won't be worrying about it all the time (I'll just be worrying and getting worked up about everything else instead, things that actually matter and affect people's lives, like overpriced housing).

It all sounds like yet another case of equating "There might just be a risk" with "This is definitely bloody dangerous."

.....what about visiting the shop with our own containers and buying it by the lb/Kg or selling non fragile cereal like muesli in bags as a matter of course....recycled paper and card can be used for other things not connected with food if it is supposedly that bad for us. ;)

Pick and spit? No thanks.

And re: not eating newspaper - if you don't wash your hands after touching one you probably are ingesting ink.

Everything is a bloody health risk. There's a one in a billion chance of you getting a slight rash from handling this product, shock, horror, must be banned, rethink everything! They've cried wolf and been far too paranoid for far too long for me to take anything seriously involving health and dangers. I'll continue ignoring them because almost certainly nothing will happen to me and I won't be worrying about it all the time (I'll just be worrying and getting worked up about everything else instead, things that actually matter and affect people's lives, like overpriced housing).

It all sounds like yet another case of equating "There might just be a risk" with "This is definitely bloody dangerous."

+1

My company does organic waste composting. Once in a billion years somebody dies from ingesting air-borne spores. Still a risk say elf and safety so nobody can open a composting site within 200 meters of other folks and everybody has to go through safety drills, wear masks, have special suits etc. etc. etc. It won't end till everybody just says feck it, sits down all day and waits to die. I really feel like giving up myself sometimes.

This shit really scares me.

I had a skinfull of beer on friday and ordered an extra large Doner kebab and chips on the way home. It`s a bit hazy but I think it was served in a cardboard box. Should I be worried? Have I been poisoned?

Its not hard to fix at all. All they need to do is bin the box and print the internal bag. They will actually save ont he packaging.

If you buy oats they come in the bag not in the box...simple.

This gets worse.. Just having a smoke and noticed that my fag packet has lots of ink on and is probably made from re-cycled cardboard. No wonder one in 3 are diagnosed with cancer.

Smoking ink is dangerous.

Pick and spit? No thanks.

And re: not eating newspaper - if you don't wash your hands after touching one you probably are ingesting ink.

Pick and spit, is that what happens when people pick and fondle fresh bread on supermarket shelves, I see the finger nails in the loose mushrooms, is that when they picked them or were trying to purchase them?

I do not see why some foods can not be weighed using a shovel and scales provided, self-service or by a shop assistant, if it kept packaging costs and food costs down and there was a good enough turnover so the food was always fresh, healthy and tasty.....I would buy.

I now read my papers on-line......don't get me started on the germs hidden on keyboards......builds up a healthy immune system. ;)

Pick and spit, is that what happens when people pick and fondle fresh bread on supermarket shelves, I see the finger nails in the loose mushrooms, is that when they picked them or were trying to purchase them?

I do not see why some foods can not be weighed using a shovel and scales provided, self-service or by a shop assistant, if it kept packaging costs and food costs down and there was a good enough turnover so the food was always fresh, healthy and tasty.....I would buy.

It's where people touch food you might end up eating without having washed their hands or being able to stop themselves from spitting when they talk, or sneezing over food you end up buying.

Mints by the till at restaurants are supposed to have more ecoli than the loos.

There's used to be a food pick and mix in the underground bit of the Arndale. Huge tubs of stuff. All with scoups to get the stuff out... Used to be a cheap way of buying rice and stuff but you have to worry about how many people have had their sleeves in it.

I can't get my head around the fact they're worried about the cardboard but not about the nice, safe, healthy plastic the product is actually in contact with.

It's where people touch food you might end up eating without having washed their hands or being able to stop themselves from spitting when they talk, or sneezing over food you end up buying.

Mints by the till at restaurants are supposed to have more ecoli than the loos.

There's used to be a food pick and mix in the underground bit of the Arndale. Huge tubs of stuff. All with scoups to get the stuff out... Used to be a cheap way of buying rice and stuff but you have to worry about how many people have had their sleeves in it.

I do see what you mean, but if we think about it there are so many instances where food is touched by others and is uncovered so susceptible to airborne germs....all we can do is try and prevent as much contamination as possible buy covering things, wearing gloves or using an implement to pick it up with.....would not stop me buying pick and mix if it meant, eating well, saving money and saving on wasteful and expensive packaging that gets chucked in the bin. I would rather they employed someone to serve me with my choices than paying for card and advertising.....anyway who knows who has touched it before it was put into its packet........what you describe above is not a place I would buy my food from though. ;)