House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jackpot06

Landlord Is Listed As A Private Ltd Company

My LL is Alton Road Holdings.....no name of proprietor etc; simply Alton Road; does that complicate matters re the deposit protection?

No, but it does suggest a more professional landlord.

My LL is Alton Road Holdings.....no name of proprietor etc; simply Alton Road; does that complicate matters re the deposit protection?

I found a firm called Alton Road Ltd. Not sure if they are one in the same. They seem to have £2.6m assets so must have a few properties. If it is this firm I can give you the name of the directors if you so wish.

I found a firm called Alton Road Ltd. Not sure if they are one in the same. They seem to have £2.6m assets so must have a few properties. If it is this firm I can give you the name of the directors if you so wish.

Yes, its Alton Road Ltd, thanks for offer of directors ...much appreciated -

No, but it does suggest a more professional landlord.

Could be perfectly legitimate.

But also a higher risk of a real mafia landlord. A company (or a complex web of companies) can be a way of operating dodgy businesses at arms length.

The deposit itself should presumably be unaffected. If the company pockets the deposit and goes bust on you, that's between the insurer and the company's directors. But IANAL.

Edited by porca misèria

Could be perfectly legitimate.

But also a higher risk of a real mafia landlord. A company (or a complex web of companies) can be a way of operating dodgy businesses at arms length.

The deposit itself should presumably be unaffected. If the company pockets the deposit and goes bust on you, that's between the insurer and the company's directors. But IANAL.

Yeh, I thought about that as soon as I'd posted but regardless it doesn't affect whether the deposit should be protected or not, I'd say you're more at risk when the landlord is overseas as there is noone to take to court per se, if it isn't. At least with a uk listed company (I'd guess if an individual then a tax dodge) you can go after it or thier insurers.

Yes, its Alton Road Ltd, thanks for offer of directors ...much appreciated -

I think there is a way to Private Message me but I have not done it before. I will then email the details rather than post them on the forum.

No problems about the deposit. Make sure the deposit goes in to a protected account like the DPS. You will receive confirmation from the deposit company.

If you do not, then ask the landlord for proof. You can take the landlord or the company to court if it is not protected, but I understand there is a new law on this subject which is not good news for tenants.

I have not checked up on this, but it was another agent that told me. I however do not trust this agent due to him going bust a few times and running with rents and bonds.

He told me that if the landlord is taken to court all they have to do is submit the bond to the deposit protection company the day before the court hearing and it will be thrown out of court, so they can avoid prosecution. This will of course then give the tenant security, but it would cost them time and money to take a landlord to court.

If it is a limited company, then you have nobody to personally chase and somebody mentioned that it could be a cover for something dodgy. Quite right it could be and more of these companies seem to be finding themselves in court lately for dodgy dealings especially when purchasing the properties.

Be careful before going ahead. I assume this is a private let rather than through an agent. If so, I would get more info on the landlord/company. Are they a member of a landlords assosiation?

No problems about the deposit. Make sure the deposit goes in to a protected account like the DPS. You will receive confirmation from the deposit company.

If you do not, then ask the landlord for proof. You can take the landlord or the company to court if it is not protected, but I understand there is a new law on this subject which is not good news for tenants.

I have not checked up on this, but it was another agent that told me. I however do not trust this agent due to him going bust a few times and running with rents and bonds.

He told me that if the landlord is taken to court all they have to do is submit the bond to the deposit protection company the day before the court hearing and it will be thrown out of court, so they can avoid prosecution. This will of course then give the tenant security, but it would cost them time and money to take a landlord to court.

If it is a limited company, then you have nobody to personally chase and somebody mentioned that it could be a cover for something dodgy. Quite right it could be and more of these companies seem to be finding themselves in court lately for dodgy dealings especially when purchasing the properties.

Be careful before going ahead. I assume this is a private let rather than through an agent. If so, I would get more info on the landlord/company. Are they a member of a landlords assosiation?

your mate was correct about the recent ruling on the DPS...the landlord has to get the thing secured before the hearing...

As for Ltd Landlord, my landlord operates through a LTD Holding company....no problems. we have DPS and he lives next door.