House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason

What Mountain Bike?

Hey all,

What mountain bike would you recommend? I'm after one which is light, front suspension and disc brakes. Max budget £500 approx.

Maybe something off here: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/offers.php?cat=1

Spend more and buy an Orange. If you can get the cycle to work scheme and are a higher rate tax payer you can get on practically half price.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/29163/Orange-R8-Pro-2010-Ex-Hire-Demo---Hardtail-Mountain-Bike.html?referrer=froogle1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid29163

Lightweight hard tail. If you spend the money now, it will last longer and be nicer to ride. I spent £650 on an Orange 15 years ago and it rides smoother than any brand new cheapo bike. Also - check out the classifieds on Bike Radar etc, but make sure you buy off a genuine enthusiast and not a bike thief, who are the scum of the earth.

Well all I'm really looking for is one I can and have a ride round country parks etc... including a cycle down to the sea front now and again.

I was into my bikes over a decade ago, reading MBUK etc, but everything has changed now. I wanted suspension years ago, and now I can afford it I want to get it.

The scheme is no go for me, and I can't cycle over 20miles to work and back a day.

I did disregard a 2nd hand one, on the basis that it would probably be stolen or beaten to death. Who knows, I might even find my old bike on there!

What do you think to this? http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b1s2p2460

I'll have a look around ebay...

Worth paying a bit more IMO. If looked after it really will last you 10+ years easy.

Although prices have gone up quite a bit. I have a Specialized Rockhopper Disc and the same spec bike today costs about £800. I got mine for £600 only 3 years ago.

Front suspension is good and is pretty hassle free. Would get a hard tail if I were you. Dont see the point in full suspension unless you are going to do serious stuff.

I would also recommend Shimano Deore over Juicy 3 disc breaks if you can. Juicys are very good to use - but can be a mare for maintenance. The Shimanos are pretty much hassle free. So far anyway.

Maybe a hybrid is better if you are planning more roads/trails stuff ? Semi slick tyres make a serious difference on the slick stuff - and they handle basic trails and stuff pretty well.

Anyway - lots of choice maybe head to a shop and ask there. Try the stuff out , get the size right, and get their advice. Then try and get online to find the same one for cheaper. Or just get it in a shop.

Worth paying a bit more IMO. If looked after it really will last you 10+ years easy.

Although prices have gone up quite a bit. I have a Specialized Rockhopper Disc and the same spec bike today costs about £800. I got mine for £600 only 3 years ago.

Front suspension is good and is pretty hassle free. Would get a hard tail if I were you. Dont see the point in full suspension unless you are going to do serious stuff.

I would also recommend Shimano Deore over Juicy 3 disc breaks if you can. Juicys are very good to use - but can be a mare for maintenance. The Shimanos are pretty much hassle free. So far anyway.

Maybe a hybrid is better if you are planning more roads/trails stuff ? Semi slick tyres make a serious difference on the slick stuff - and they handle basic trails and stuff pretty well.

Anyway - lots of choice maybe head to a shop and ask there. Try the stuff out , get the size right, and get their advice. Then try and get online to find the same one for cheaper. Or just get it in a shop.

I've had 3 Specialized Rockhoppers (one in the garage now), brilliant bike and holds it's value. The last two I sold got me back either 350 or 450 on eBay as I couldn't be bothered to get them serviced after two years of abuse on each.

Also have a soft tail Specialized FSR (2nd generation but first was better as easier to carry over your shoulder and rode better off trail) and a racer Specialized Allez... there is a pattern here can you spot it?

Hey all,

What mountain bike would you recommend? I'm after one which is light, front suspension and disc brakes. Max budget £500 approx.

Then you'll want secondhand, and just hope for the best.

Anything new at £500 and with suspension is sure to be a total crock.

Well all I'm really looking for is one I can and have a ride round country parks etc... including a cycle down to the sea front now and again.

Sounds straightforward enough. Mountainbike not required: the only bikes you wouldn't want for that would be those that sacrifice strength for some other attribute: a folder or a racing bike.

The scheme is no go for me, and I can't cycle over 20miles to work and back a day.

Wouldn't want to do that on a mountain bike, but a road bike would be fine.

I did disregard a 2nd hand one, on the basis that it would probably be stolen or beaten to death. Who knows, I might even find my old bike on there!

Can't say I blame you. Trouble is, taking your spec and looking for half-decent quality, you're looking at a four-figure price tag.

Sounds straightforward enough. Mountainbike not required: the only bikes you wouldn't want for that would be those that sacrifice strength for some other attribute: a folder or a racing bike.

Wouldn't want to do that on a mountain bike, but a road bike would be fine.

That's the conclusion I came to after trying to decide which mountain bike to get. What I wanted it for was 90%+ roads and hard trails so I should be getting a normal bike or hybrid and very much not a mountain bike. Still looking.

Can't say I blame you. Trouble is, taking your spec and looking for half-decent quality, you're looking at a four-figure price tag.

Steep? That's effing vertical for a frame, couple of wheels, and some bits. BikePriceCrash!

I think £1k is way too steep..

Been having a look around ebay, and just keeping to the named brands I'm aware of... Will have to keep surfing. I don't want a road bike as I want to take it to places like the lake district - probably won't be often, but at least once a year!

I think £1k is way too steep..

Been having a look around ebay, and just keeping to the named brands I'm aware of... Will have to keep surfing. I don't want a road bike as I want to take it to places like the lake district - probably won't be often, but at least once a year!

What do you regard as a "road bike"?

A decent touring bike like mine makes a good all-rounder. Good on-road (though nowhere near a racer or audax), and on moderate off-road like the tracks around here on Dartmoor. Not suitable for deep mud, big rocks, or truly slippery fine sand (not found in the UK, but might be encountered in the med or similar in dry season).

Trouble is, the £800 I paid for this in April 2007 had risen to £1400 a year later!

27.png

What do you regard as a "road bike"?

A decent touring bike like mine makes a good all-rounder. Good on-road (though nowhere near a racer or audax), and on moderate off-road like the tracks around here on Dartmoor. Not suitable for deep mud, big rocks, or truly slippery fine sand (not found in the UK, but might be encountered in the med or similar in dry season).

Trouble is, the £800 I paid for this in April 2007 had risen to £1400 a year later!

27.png

Or get something like a Specialized rockhopper ( I think TomPosh rates them :D ) and stick semi slicks on it. That is what I do and rolls really well on tarmac/tracks - but is also pretty decent on basic off road stuff. And with the front suspension/disc brakes you get a bit more cushioning too.

Or the above plan and get a tourer. Either way is a good shout really.

But I would re-iterate the point of paying a bit more for a new bike - and then making sure to look after. Even at these higher prices it really is worth it. Will still be going strong in a decade. Easily.

Not if it is stolen!

I pay <£100 for my bikes and abuse them round town. Granted I would not want to be caught off-road on a cheapo, but nothing beats a dirty rat-bike. Less likely to be stolen too.

what you need is a cheap pub bike to ride home drunk on. Get a cheapo carrera second hand can't go wrong and you don't even have to lock it up!

+1 for the Specialized Rockhopper. I have an 2000 model frame (steel not aluminium) that I got for travelling to uni. I paid £50 for it. Over the years I have upgraded the forks, running gear, brakes, control items, wheels etc. It still handles anything I throw at it, the only problem is the lack of disk brakes.

Paul's have been around for years now, they seem to specialize in last year model bikes and generally give good discounts. Personally I would say that £500 is on the low side for a new bike, there will be compromises with the running gear and especially the forks.

http://www.paulscycl...lid=m1b1s2p2460 would be fine for general riding but would be a compromise off road. In my opinion this http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b7s2p1934 would be a better choice and only £160 above budget. The Kona has better specced components and above all a better fork. The Kona id available in 18 inch which should suit you if your under 6 foot

make sure you buy off a genuine enthusiast and not a bike thief, who are the scum of the earth.

I am opposed to the death penalty, but I would be tempted to bring it back for bike thieves.

+1 for the Specialized Rockhopper. I have an 2000 model frame (steel not aluminium) that I got for travelling to uni. I paid £50 for it. Over the years I have upgraded the forks, running gear, brakes, control items, wheels etc. It still handles anything I throw at it, the only problem is the lack of disk brakes.

Paul's have been around for years now, they seem to specialize in last year model bikes and generally give good discounts. Personally I would say that £500 is on the low side for a new bike, there will be compromises with the running gear and especially the forks.

http://www.paulscycl...lid=m1b1s2p2460 would be fine for general riding but would be a compromise off road. In my opinion this http://www.paulscycl...lid=m1b7s2p1934 would be a better choice and only £160 above budget. The Kona has better specced components and above all a better fork. The Kona id available in 18 inch which should suit you if your under 6 foot

I was probably looking for a 16/17" frame. What do you think to:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kona-Caldera-2010-Bargain-various-sizes-/110613042044

which is the same as: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/caldera-2010-mountain-bike-ec021766

Something with full suspension, or a specialized rockhopper hardtail.

25-potholes-415.jpg

Fit some road tyres for £20 and it'll lower rolling resistance saving a huge amount of

energy, swapping them takes about 60 seconds with some tyre irons.

unless you're trying to lose body fat in which case run the biggest knobblies you can.

Yep, a good quality bike, looked after, bought new or second hand, will go on for ever. I have 3 in my garage that are about 25-30 years old and one that I am guessing is 50 odd years old ( a 2nd hand Condor fixie).

Mountain bikes and folders, obviously flash kit and unlocked bikes get knicked. Anonymous, locked tourers and hybrids not so much.

500 squids is your entry level pricing for a new bike that is going to last and isnt going to put you right off cycling - dont buy cheaper unless it's 2nd hand or you really know your onions (which I reckon you dont).

If you want an MTB, dont bother looking further than the Spech rockhopper or Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 or something with short travel forks for 500 quid from Halfords (GT, Boardman, whatever). You do not want full suss (new or 2nd hand) or long travel forks unless you are going to do serious offroad, unless you like lugging around and maintaining unnecessary mechanicals.

And enjoy: I hope that in a year or two you'll be out there with 1500 quid burning a hole in your pocket and looking for something a bit nicer.

What about getting a jet bike for the larger potholes?

article-0-0D8527E9000005DC-117_964x697.jpg

haha, that's only a few miles away from my folks.

don't go for a soft tail unless it has a lockout (but then it'll be out of your price range anyway) rear suspension makes peddling harder. have a look on eBay and you'll get a well looked after and not that old disc rockhopper for £500 or most cycle shops offer interest free on the balance over twelve months, so thirty quid a month extra and building your credit file - that's what I did. Once I bought a 17" GT for £500 new and it was so hopeless that I gave it away after a year to a friend. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Slightly lower in spec, but not bad for an entry level MTB. Bear in mind that 18 inch kona is for 5'6 to 6ft. My rockhopper is 19inch and I'm 5'11

Something with full suspension, or a specialized rockhopper hardtail.

Fit some road tyres for £20 and it'll lower rolling resistance saving a huge amount of

energy, swapping them takes about 60 seconds with some tyre irons.

unless you're trying to lose body fat in which case run the biggest knobblies you can.

Good plan. I use Schwalbe Marathon Kevlars on my Rockhopper. Roll pretty well - but still ok fo rthe rougher stuff. You are gonna have to compromise somewhere. I find these a very good 'in between' option.

Slightly lower in spec, but not bad for an entry level MTB. Bear in mind that 18 inch kona is for 5'6 to 6ft. My rockhopper is 19inch and I'm 5'11

Good point. The size of frames does seem to have changed over the past 10 years.M Must be to do with the angles or something. a 17 inch would have fit me perfect on a 10-15 year odl MTB. But nowadays I would need a 19 inch. (And no I have not grown :D )

Jason - if you are 5ft 10 or over you def want at least 19 inch frame. 16-17 will seem very small these days.

And if you are tall you are wanting 20+.

Just go and try some in a shop. You dont have to tell them your not planning to buy from them ;)

You Might want to take a look at the boardman brand in halfords, they got good reviews for having better parts than you might expect at the price. Some for sale at the mo.

Jason - if you are 5ft 10 or over you def want at least 19 inch frame. 16-17 will seem very small these days.

Well I'm only 5ft 4" hence the 16/17" frame. I just need to check my home insurance to see if it would cover a second hand bike (I'm guessing not) so would probably like new.

I've given up on full suspension...

So far I'm going for: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b1s2p2460 I think. I know it's cheap, but it's a starter. I'd be willing to spend a few 'K if I started using it weekly, but I might have to get rid of the jet ski for that to happen.

That bike is £50 more for hydraulic brakes rather than cable, so I'm guessing that's worth it.

Well I'm only 5ft 4" hence the 16/17" frame. I just need to check my home insurance to see if it would cover a second hand bike (I'm guessing not) so would probably like new.

So far I'm going for: http://www.paulscycl...lid=m1b1s2p2460 I think. I know it's cheap, but it's a starter. I'd be willing to spend a few 'K if I started using it weekly, but I might have to get rid of the jet ski for that to happen.

That bike is £50 more for hydraulic brakes rather than cable, so I'm guessing that's worth it.

5 4 will prob be fine for a 16 inch frame. That bike looks decent enough for me - however i think you are getting the general hint that if you pay more for this sort of bike - it is well worth it.

Anyway - us ******* are all full of tips around here. :lol:

So far I'm going for: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b1s2p2460 I think. I know it's cheap, but it's a starter. I'd be willing to spend a few 'K if I started using it weekly, but I might have to get rid of the jet ski for that to happen.

Good luck with the purchase, and remember to pay on the credit card!