House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RDW

Early Warming For Mariners

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/culture-media-and-sport/prescott-takes-on-the-shipping-forecast-$21387618.htm

John Prescott is to become the first non-BBC presenter ever to take on the Shipping Forecast on Radio 4 in a stunt to raise money for Red Nose Day.

The former deputy prime minister will deliver the evening forecast at 00:48 GMT on March 19th following a protracted joke on Twitter.

The Forecast, which is listened to as much by non-sailors for its strangely reassuring delivery as it is by seafarers, will be pre-recorded to avoid any linguistic slip-ups.

Batten down the hatches.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/culture-media-and-sport/prescott-takes-on-the-shipping-forecast-$21387618.htm

John Prescott is to become the first non-BBC presenter ever to take on the Shipping Forecast on Radio 4 in a stunt to raise money for Red Nose Day.

The former deputy prime minister will deliver the evening forecast at 00:48 GMT on March 19th following a protracted joke on Twitter.

The Forecast, which is listened to as much by non-sailors for its strangely reassuring delivery as it is by seafarers, will be pre-recorded to avoid any linguistic slip-ups.

Batten down the hatches.

I'm sure trawlermen will be rolling about in the scuppers at this audacious 'joke'.

I think it's time to start another twitter joke to test the BBC to see if they'll put another non-presenter on - but this time one that's not some idiot from the last regime.

Prescott once presented what I have to admit was a very well-produced documentary on the history of the merchant navy. Although there was the usual leftie BBC slant to it (e.g. containerisation was a dastardly plot by the Heath government to break the dockers, etc. etc.), it wasn't as intense or as irritating as I feared. I was stuck in a massive traffic jam when it was on and only stuck with it because I had no CDs worth listening to with me, but in the event I'm glad that I did.