House Price Crash Forum
keving

Should House Value Increase Or Decrease If Near Pubs?

Hey all, I'm new here, but I came across some interesting data when building a widget for Gartoo called How Tipsy is Your Town, which suggested that on a national level areas with a large number of pubs tend to have lower house prices due to the general increase in crime rate. However, I was thinking that in some respects pubs should increase the value of houses as they retain British Culture, add community spirit, and provide recreational activity. What do people here think?

Hey all, I'm new here, but I came across some interesting data when building a widget for Gartoo called How Tipsy is Your Town, which suggested that on a national level areas with a large number of pubs tend to have lower house prices due to the general increase in crime rate. However, I was thinking that in some respects pubs should increase the value of houses as they retain British Culture, add community spirit, and provide recreational activity. What do people here think?

I guess it depends if its a nice place serving proper well kept beer with a friendly atmosphere, or a grotty chav infested chain pub with no soul and plenty of vomit.

the further away a pub is from my house the better, i would be skint, i love a good pub atmosphere, especially a proper pub, with darts and a billard or pool table, friendly bar staff that remember your name and drink etc.

not many of those around any more

Having previously lived next door to a fairly nice village pub I can say that 1) I would never do it again and 2) it should halve the value of any house to be in the vicinity of a pub!!

The clientele would arrive quietly and looking like very nice people - they would however, after sinking a few, leave noisily and in need of being awarded an ASBO - made worse once the smoking ban came in and they would spend most of the time hovering outside - why when people have had a drink do they get so loud?!!! Even said village pub would start being noisy at about 7am with deliveries and putting bottles into recycling bins - sure the landlord threw them from a distance - and the noise would finish around midnight - sometimes stretching till 3am if there was a party on.