House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anonguest

The Allure Of Ftse At 6000

I'm no great chartist.... but it does appear as though the FTSE-100 has been oscillating about the 6000 level almost symetrically at +/- 100 points (apart from the odd brief spike outside this range).

I understand that markets do indeed often 'consolidate', etc and stay rangebound etc until making their next 'stairstep' move (whether up or down).

BUT is it just me or does it feel rather contrived that, in this present case, the market should happen to home in on such a conveniently round number? It just looks very contrived and pre-determined. Like its on autopilot till TPTB decide its time to move to a new level.....

Or is it simply nothing more sinister than all the big traders effectively using the same algorithms? All deciding on the same level as where the market should be?.........

Edited by anonguest

I'm no great chartist.... but it does appear as though the FTSE-100 has been oscillating about the 6000 level almost symetrically at +/- 100 points (apart from the odd brief spike outside this range).

I understand that markets do indeed often 'consolidate', etc and stay rangebound etc until making their next 'stairstep' move (whether up or down).

BUT is it just me or does it feel rather contrived that, in this present case, the market should happen to home in on such a conveniently round number? It just looks very contrived and pre-determined. Like its on autopilot till TPTB decide its time to move to a new level.....

Or is it simply nothing more sinister than all the big traders effectively using the same algorithms? All deciding on the same level as where the market should be?.........

A conspiracy theory. HPC needs more of these.

Actually it is a very good point - why not hover around 5,850. or 6,100?

There are better people than me that can give you answers about market sentiment, herd instinct and computers which actually now control the markets... I think computers have a lot to answer for but computers are programmed by people... and someone may be rigging the computers...

I think the entire US and UK markets are now one rigged game. Problem is, which way do they intend it to go this year.