House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

southmartin

Mobile Broadband Options

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can advise the best way to get online whilst out & about with the laptop. This happens very infrequently, but when it does it's important that I can get online. I currently have an iPhone which uses a GiffGaff sim. This is great, but Gg don't allow tethering.. So i've described what I think are my options, can anyone suggest better?

1: Keep using Gg sim and find a way to hack it to allow a small amount of data tethering (maybe 10mb 4 times a month)

2: apply for a free microsim from three.co.uk and top it up with £10 when needed (three allow tethering) - Only problem is that 3 doesn't work at home, so it's not a solution for phone AND 2 while away, i'd have to keep the sim spare and swap them over when i want to get online

3: Buy a dongle, though I can't find a provider that allows pure PAYG, they all seem to want some sort of monthly fee, and I may not use it again for 6 months

Any other options/

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can advise the best way to get online whilst out & about with the laptop. This happens very infrequently, but when it does it's important that I can get online. I currently have an iPhone which uses a GiffGaff sim. This is great, but Gg don't allow tethering.. So i've described what I think are my options, can anyone suggest better?

1: Keep using Gg sim and find a way to hack it to allow a small amount of data tethering (maybe 10mb 4 times a month)

2: apply for a free microsim from three.co.uk and top it up with £10 when needed (three allow tethering) - Only problem is that 3 doesn't work at home, so it's not a solution for phone AND 2 while away, i'd have to keep the sim spare and swap them over when i want to get online

3: Buy a dongle, though I can't find a provider that allows pure PAYG, they all seem to want some sort of monthly fee, and I may not use it again for 6 months

Any other options/

I believe 3 offer an all-you-can-eat, 24 hours for 2 quid PAYG option - their coverage is patchy at best, in my experience.

I believe 3 offer an all-you-can-eat, 24 hours for 2 quid PAYG option - their coverage is patchy at best, in my experience.

If it wasn't for 3, I'd have been without internet for the last 18 months. As it is, I've been able to remain online without tying into a pesky BT contract.

£15pm for 5GB on a 30-day contract. very reasonable when you compare it to the alternatives and excellent signal. Possibly because I'm 500 yards from their head offices tho. Their PAYG tariff options are all here.

Also got an O2 dongle for when I use up my allowance before the end of the month. Service is better now but signal previously a bit patchy. PAYG top-up charges can be found here. One advantage I've found with this is being able to use BT Openzone Wi-fi networks for free as an O2 customer. Used The Cloud in McDonald's last week to download heaps of stuff for my remote Sky Player!

If it wasn't for 3, I'd have been without internet for the last 18 months. As it is, I've been able to remain online without tying into a pesky BT contract.

£15pm for 5GB on a 30-day contract. very reasonable when you compare it to the alternatives and excellent signal. Possibly because I'm 500 yards from their head offices tho. Their PAYG tariff options are all here.

Also got an O2 dongle for when I use up my allowance before the end of the month. Service is better now but signal previously a bit patchy. PAYG top-up charges can be found here. One advantage I've found with this is being able to use BT Openzone Wi-fi networks for free as an O2 customer. Used The Cloud in McDonald's last week to download heaps of stuff for my remote Sky Player!

Three now do a 10GB/month 30 day rolling contract, it's on a ipad micro sim but adapters are under a pound and it doubles the data.

Three now do a 10GB/month 30 day rolling contract, it's on a ipad micro sim but adapters are under a pound and it doubles the data.

Nice spot. Is there any way that 3 could track how / where it is used and restrict the service if you were putting it into a standard mobile dongle?

The dongle or phone has an IMEI which is used by the phone companies to block phones when stolen so yes possible but whether enforced who knows?

In which case, am just going to call them and see whether they'll give me the equiavlent data on my package as I've been with them for a while. Worked with my SIM only tariff from Virgin Media, despite that still only being a 1-month rolling contract. Currently getting their £20 tariff at £10 per month: 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of mobile internet, thank you very much!

Sat on hold for 20 minutes but once I got through, explained to the nice chap in India that I didn't want to move off a 1-month rolling contract but wondered why the iPad tariff was so much better and wondered whether I could be moved onto the equivalent. He did better than that and I'm now getting 15GB per month for £15.99. So I can start downloading loads of crap and as I'm in a rental, I still don't need to go down the BT route.

Apologies for the thread hijack, southmartin and thanks for the heads up about the iPad tariff, kinesin!

Sat on hold for 20 minutes but once I got through, explained to the nice chap in India that I didn't want to move off a 1-month rolling contract but wondered why the iPad tariff was so much better and wondered whether I could be moved onto the equivalent. He did better than that and I'm now getting 15GB per month for £15.99. So I can start downloading loads of crap and as I'm in a rental, I still don't need to go down the BT route.

Apologies for the thread hijack, southmartin and thanks for the heads up about the iPad tariff, kinesin!

No worries, I think jailbreaking and installing mywi is the best solution only $20 and i don't need to buy anything else!

Vodafone with non-expiring credit SIM. Expect to pay about £50 ish on ebay for a dongle with the correct SIM though (for general computer conncetion) as they are no longer available in the shops. Need to use once every 120/180 days or somesuch.

Edit here's an ipad one.........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vodafone-Broadband-Micro-SIM-Non-Expiring-Credit-iPAD-/150573654008?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item230ee39ff8

Cheers. I like this suggestion best so far. Can you give me any links for instructions?

Sorry, I don't have a clue about iPhones. I misread your post and thought you were using a G1 (Android handset).

Sorry, I don't have a clue about iPhones. I misread your post and thought you were using a G1 (Android handset).

The new version of ios 4.3 is suppose to be launched Friday, however could be out today. This has the wifi hotspot functionally built in, not sure how this is configured/controlled by the carrier but worth checking it out.

The new version of ios 4.3 is suppose to be launched Friday, however could be out today. This has the wifi hotspot functionally built in, not sure how this is configured/controlled by the carrier but worth checking it out.

Note that if you tether on GiffGaff they probably will catch you eventually. I imagine they watch for http traffic that has desktop browser identifiers in the http requests. You could always tunnel everything through a proxy & so long as you keep your usage low enough you'd probably get away with it.

Note that if you tether on GiffGaff they probably will catch you eventually. I imagine they watch for http traffic that has desktop browser identifiers in the http requests. You could always tunnel everything through a proxy & so long as you keep your usage low enough you'd probably get away with it.

Yeah I heard they're pretty hot on it, but TBH when i tether, i'm using about 10mb per day - and i wonder how they'd know the difference between that traffic and normal web traffic via my iphone browser?