gruffydd

Btl Landlords Get Guaranteed Rents

Buy-to-let landlords take the high road to Scotland

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:50 AM BST

Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

Read THIS

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/newsAr...ET-SCOTLAND.xml

By Lorna Bourke

"LONDON (Citywire) - Property agents Orchard & Shipman have launched a new buy-to-let scheme in Edinburgh for private landlords that looks an attractive, no hassle, way of getting into this investment market.

Orchard & Shipman has done a deal with the City of Edinburgh to provide up to 1,500 homes to beat the city's homeless crisis. The scheme offers long-term contracts to private sector landlords with a guaranteed rent for the whole period.

These properties are financed by buy-to-let landlords and help local authorities to fulfil their statutory obligations to house the homeless. Orchard & Shipman has long experience of similar schemes with other local authorities."

:ph34r: John Blackwood of the Scottish Association of Landlords said: "People with property to let in Edinburgh can invest in the City's housing market knowing they can also play a part in solving the city's housing crisis. It is a fantastic example of the success and possibilities of partnership working between the public and private sector." :ph34r:

No - this isn't a joke! So the people who are helping to cause the problem are now getting the credit for solving it.

:ph34r: Good God, this is enough to turn you into a communist!

Edited by gruffydd

In the local Swansea property paper this week I was amazed to see a quarter page advert from the local building society AND the City Council annoucing a joint seminar this month for those wishing to get into BTL - info on requirements and Council regs, how to get a mortgage, etc, etc.

I can only assume that the council wishes more BTLs to overcome any housing shortage - odd, as there is one ENORMOUS and very powerful housing association in the area - in order to house people who traditionally would have gone into council housing... or maybe they are planning to get more money from central government by bringing more asylum seekers to the area?

Looking at the Edinburgh info and the info in Swansea I get the feeling that something is up?

Want to put a call into Swansea Council Masked Tulip and find out more for us? Let me know - I am assuming you live there. If you don't want to, I will instead.

Edited by gruffydd