House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Police Officers Pocket £3.8 Billion In Overtime

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-officers-pocket-38-billion-in-overtime-2234529.html

Police officers have pocketed £3.8 billion in overtime over the past 10 years, a study found today.

More than a quarter of this, £1 billion, was spent by the Metropolitan Police alone, with every officer picking up an average of £4,271 in overtime last year.

Do overtime payments go towards pension contributions?

Don't forget the first half hour of overtime is 'given to the Queen' and they don't see any of it. One of my friends would be happy to finish on his regular hours if he could, but it's not always possible. He doesn't have the time to eat, and sometimes sleeps in a layby because he's too tired to get home after a 20 hour shift. Once a cop reaches pensionable age, their life expectency is pretty short.

I don't know if overtime goes towards pension contributions or not.

Edited by You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

I wonder why they decided on the last 10 years, not the last 50 or last 100.

Meaningless number and bizarre propaganda. :blink:

Don't forget the first half hour of overtime is 'given to the Queen' and they don't see any of it. One of my friends would be happy to finish on his regular hours if he could, but it's not always possible. He doesn't have the time to eat, and sometimes sleeps in a layby because he's too tired to get home after a 20 hour shift. Once a cop reaches pensionable age, their life expectency is pretty short.

I don't know if overtime goes towards pension contributions or not.

I think this is not representative. Most of them eat during their shift and are only too happy to make it into overtime. They often take an extraordinary amount of time to do anything after someone is under arrest. I am sure I could perform 3 lots of their processing prisoners through arrest to interview and charge/bail, to their one. Their start pay is about the national average wage, which is rather better than many jobs the same people could have done. They can retire on half pay after 30 years.

What is their life expectancy? I would be interested in different jobs life expectancy stats including police.

I wonder why they decided on the last 10 years, not the last 50 or last 100.

Meaningless number and bizarre propaganda. :blink:

+1

Likewise they can also get pulled in for 30mins on a day off and claim a whole shift of over time!

They can also buy lottery tickets and win the jackpot if really lucky. About as likely as your quoted scenario.

Anyone called in will be expected to do the full shift or not get paid.

The call out rates don't sound that remarkable to me. In fact I have come across very similar arrangements in IT over the years. What the article fails to mention is that the officers might be required to be on out of hours call all the time they are off duty for which inconvenience they might receive only a nominal sum (it used to be a mere tenner a night at one place I worked). The four hour payment only kicked in if you were called out and even then that was the maximum you could receive regardless of the length of call out (ie you would get the same sum regardless of whether you worked one hour or ten hours). If the government don't want to pay for the call out then they can't expect the cops to turn up outside their contracted hours in the event of a crisis.

If the government don't want to pay for the call out then they can't expect the cops to turn up outside their contracted hours in the event of a crisis.

Erm I have yet to see cops turn up inside their contracted hours, even when life and limb is at stake. They do however like to turn up after the event, arrest and charge the victim for a crime though because it is so much easier than real police work.

it's quite often cheaper to pay overtime than to employ the "right" amount of people to do the job.

I've worked for an outfit that needs 5 people to run a roster properly throughout the year...but they use 4 people with built in overtime instead...as it's cheaper. Overtime figures look bad..but overall employment costs are less.

Interesting scene in a TV programme about motorway cops last night.

Motorway patrol pulled over a female driver who was using a mobile phone while driving. They get her into the back of the patrol car to read her her rights etc..

Turns out she is a WPC from down south. On camera she asks to be let off because she is also a cop.

The patrol drivers were having none of it . They told her she would not get special treatment because she was in the police, whereupon she hides her face and starts blubbing.

Very entertaining. I wonder if the patrol cops would have behaved differently if the cameras were not there.

I think this is not representative. Most of them eat during their shift and are only too happy to make it into overtime. They often take an extraordinary amount of time to do anything after someone is under arrest. I am sure I could perform 3 lots of their processing prisoners through arrest to interview and charge/bail, to their one. Their start pay is about the national average wage, which is rather better than many jobs the same people could have done. They can retire on half pay after 30 years.

What is their life expectancy? I would be interested in different jobs life expectancy stats including police.

Only if you ignored paperwork procedures.... and if you did that every single arrest would be ruled invalid and the defendants would walk out of court laughing at you.

it's quite often cheaper to pay overtime than to employ the "right" amount of people to do the job.

I've worked for an outfit that needs 5 people to run a roster properly throughout the year...but they use 4 people with built in overtime instead...as it's cheaper. Overtime figures look bad..but overall employment costs are less.

Well that needs to be changed then......share share alike. ;)

And why do we have the paperwork culture?

Because past experience has shown that if you let the police just make stuff up rely on their personal recollection of events, innocent people end up being sent to prison?

Not to say that there aren't alternatives or at least ways of reducing the amount - "helmet cams" come to mind. If it ain't on film, it didn't happen...

...because people police are good (have to be good) at paperwork.....

Following a recent incident I gave a statement to an officer, how then relayed it via his phone to someone who was presumably writing it all into a computer and then they could give me a crime number.

Once a cop reaches pensionable age, their life expectency is pretty short.

How short ?

The average policeman retires at 51. The average retirement for other males is 65.

The average life expectancy for men is 77.

So the average non-police person needs to be funded for 12yrs.. whereas the average policeman for 26yrs (all else being equal) you can see why pensions account for over 20% of the police budget. 26years of pension for just 30yrs of paying in (at best) is simply unsustainable.

Edited by exiges

How short ?

The average policeman retires at 51. The average retirement for other males is 65.

The average life expectancy for men is 77.

So the average non-police person needs to be funded for 12yrs.. whereas the average policeman for 26yrs (all else being equal) you can see why pensions account for over 20% of the police budget. 26years of pension for just 30yrs of paying in (at best) is simply unsustainable.

The retirment age is meant to be for those serving their whole career in South Manchester (perhaps understandable) but they apply it to some PC noddy working in the Norfolk countryside as well who cash on Final Salry pension nirvana.

Following a recent incident I gave a statement to an officer, how then relayed it via his phone to someone who was presumably writing it all into a computer and then they could give me a crime number.

Madness.....there must be another way. ;)