House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Unusual Iranian Embassy Design Thwarted

I think you either love or hate new designs, especially this one. Personally I like it. And this kind of building can become a landmark.

10_embassy-iran415.jpg

Of course since this is the UK, Iran's plans to build it have been dashed. Here's some of the biased article:

Plans for a fortress-like Iranian embassy in Kensington have been shelved.

The proposals for a huge marble and stone clad yellow building with irregular windows had provoked a furious response from residents.

Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is said to have taken a personal interest in the project. It was to have been built a few hundred yards from the current embassy which was stormed by the SAS in 1980 to free hostages.

Mr Ahmadinejad had reportedly wanted the building to be an "expression of Iranian vision to the peoples of the Western world."

It was to stand less than 20 feet from St Augustine's, a Grade II-listed church in Queen's Gate.

Kensington residents today welcomed the turnaround and said it was "a victory for the people and for common sense".

Caryl Harris, chairwoman of the South Kensington Residents' Association, said the design was "unacceptable". She added that it was also inappropriate because it would have been near several schools

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23929412-iran-shelves-its-yellow-fortress-plans-for-new-embassy-in-kensington.do

Excuse me? It would have been near schools?? :lol: And sorry, but how this looks like a fortress really escapes me. On the contrary, large clear windows are hardly secure for the occupants.

OK I know most of you lot will hate it anyway. But seriously, this is a classic example of the arrogant and retarded approach to building in this country :rolleyes:

Caryl Harris, chairwoman of the South Kensington Residents' Association, said the design was "unacceptable". She added that it was also inappropriate because it would have been near several schools

:lol::lol:

I would love to see a photo of this Caryl Harris. I bet it would be funny. (Did Google though, but couldn't find it. :( )

I think you either love or hate new designs, especially this one. Personally I like it. And this kind of building can become a landmark.

10_embassy-iran415.jpg

Of course since this is the UK, Iran's plans to build it have been dashed. Here's some of the biased article:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23929412-iran-shelves-its-yellow-fortress-plans-for-new-embassy-in-kensington.do

Excuse me? It would have been near schools?? :lol: And sorry, but how this looks like a fortress really escapes me. On the contrary, large clear windows are hardly secure for the occupants.

OK I know most of you lot will hate it anyway. But seriously, this is a classic example of the arrogant and retarded approach to building in this country :rolleyes:

I think it looks great. We need more funky buildings in central London.

If you want to talk about a fortress how about the American embassy with its now permanent concrete fortifications. Unspeakably ugly.

I think it looks great. We need more funky buildings in central London.

If you want to talk about a fortress how about the American embassy with its now permanent concrete fortifications. Unspeakably ugly.

Here, here.

Gets my vote, looks interesting, beats most of the shitty buildings in london

I'd love to see the results of a carefully designed poll... One where they ask a sample of the public who don't know its the Iranian embassy what they think, and another where they do know.

Looks interesting, but surely a vast waste of space between inner and outer buildings.

They should suspend floating "urban lifestyle pods" in the spaces for the young and trendy. Think David Blanes perspex box, but ( slightly) bigger. With a shared equity scheme, I'm sure people would borrow £500k to live in a suspended box in the void of an Iranian embassy building. It is London after all.

I haven't quite worked out how they could get in/out though. Maybe they wouldn't need to?

They missed the opportunity to have the front bit tastefully shaped like a giant swastika. Photoshop, anyone?

tbh swastika was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it.... don't really think they need to photoshop it!