House Price Crash Forum
Perfectionist

Who Has A Wife/girlfriend Earning More Than Them ?

I can think fo no fundamental reason

why 50% of couples should not have

the female partner earning more than the male

ABB

I can.

The fact that it is very difficult even today for a woman to earn the same salary as a man even though she is doing the same job, just as well.

It's a sad/unfair fact of life in 2005...

My first impulse is, "thats right, blame it on the chicks", but, the whole phenomena of 2 income households has indubitably reflected in the amount that people as a household unit can cough up and therefore the amount that is demanded for housing. Once there, it is nigh on impossible for couples to consider turning the clock back since a single income would almost certainly mean poverty (or at least relative poverty - the good old days just wern't that good).

But women are still earning less on average than men, so don't gripe!

Having watched a woman in an EA's office cry her eyes out on the telephone begging her husband that they need to raise their bid on a house, whilst the female EA reeled off very obvious fictious bids that she already had on the same property, I have no doubt that women, TV make over shows and beige paint have caused this bubble!

My ex and her girlie friends have spent the past 5 years addicted to TV make-over programmes, watching them almost continuously whilst convincing themselves that all they needed was a tin of beige paint and some stencils to become property tycoons!

Anyone remember that female 'developer' on the TV earlier this year who had made millions on paper last year from property and this year is now bankrupt and broke????

I think this is yet another case of VI influencing people to achieve what is really beyond their station.

It's wrong to blame it on women,after all...they do have to take the major role in child-rearing,which can put a strain on running a business and even being employed full-time.....the wellbeing of the child has to come first.

I do think however,big business has cottoned onto the idea that females are more open to the power of suggestion(why is it that hordes of male blokes dont flock to a britney spears concert and faint,but young girls will do just that at a boy-band gig?)....what's the image being sold here?

this in turn has connotations for the expectations of guys to be super-rich,super-fit,super good-looking etc.

women have had to face the good-looks one for ages,but blokes are supposed to do that AND have the wealth of david beckham now.....and it just isn't realistic.......contrary to what VI's in the media would have us believe.

some people are just born with looks,some with money,some with talent.......accept it and be happy,try to imitate and be insecure.

I have never understood why those women who complain about not having fair opportunities do not do the same as men do when facing the same challenge (due to age, lack of education, etc.):

i.e. START THEIR OWN BUSINESSES

Are you stuck in some sort of timewarp, Dr Bubb? Your views on women sound like something from decades gone by.

I work in electronic design. This is not often seen as a 'girlie' thing to do, yet over the years some of our most productive engineers have been young female graduates. We have not had a single 'wrongun' amonst them. We have sacked plenty of blokes though.

Fortunantely for these female engineers, our company will not hinder their progress due to discrimination etc. They will get the same opportunities as the male engineers.

At the end of the day Dr Bubb,the only thing you can do in your career/business life that a woman can't is that you can p!ss up against a tree.

I can.

The fact that it is very difficult even today for a woman to earn the same salary as a man even though she is doing the same job, just as well.

Please give a solid, real-life example, of where a man and woman are doing the same job and the man gets paid more.

Out of all the places I worked if that happened there would be a strike, bad publicity for the employer and, the employer would be sued under the sexual descrimination act.

Edited by Padiham

Please give a solid, real-life example, of where a man and woman are doing the same job and the man gets paid more.

Out of all the places I worked if that happened there would be a strike, bad publicity for the employer and, the employer would be sue under the sexual descrimination act.

Its a bit more complicated than that. There are plenty of resources around 'The Glass Ceiling' phenomena. I would also point out that there are still traditionally female jobs that now require a degree (eg. Nursing) but that don't get a commensurate rate for the level of skills and knowedge. It doesn't take a mad femo to work it out. Just don't nurse. :ph34r:

Its a bit more complicated than that.  There are plenty of resources around 'The Glass Ceiling' phenomena.  I would also point out that there are still traditionally female jobs that now require a degree (eg. Nursing) but that don't get a commensurate rate for the level of skills and knowedge.  It doesn't take a mad femo to work it out.  Just don't nurse. :ph34r:

What male nurses get paid more than female nurses?

God help the human race.  Its not about the precise details of the job, its about having equivalent skills and knowledge commensurated at the same levels.  Whatever :blink:

God help the human race when there are people like you around. You say one thing and mean something else. You said, if is very dfifficult for a woman to earn the same salary even thoush she is doing the same job.

SAME JOB. Now your saying it is not the same job.

I’m probably going to get shouted down, but I’d like to challenge what I believe to be an ingrained and illogical assertion that is akin to saying that house prices always go up. I have always been impressed by this forum for the ability of members to question figures, official “facts” and strip out why certain people are saying what they are saying (vested interests).

I have imagine perfectionist may have started this thread to be provocative in order to gauge reaction and encourage reasonable and perhaps even informed debate that women earning more nowadays may have contributed to, if not been the cause of, the current housing bubble. In short I would say that it would have to have had an effect, but I don’t think anyone would call the size of this effect.

But low and behold we get the “Women don’t earn as much as men / glass ceiling brigade”. This is of course according to official figures, or the institute of something or other (paid to come up with a “result).

Firstly let my tackle the “official” (read government) figures. Roughly 50% of the voting population are women. Why then do you think the government has an interest in stating that there is a pay gap and then “doing something to tackle the problem. Yep, you have already got a popularist theme. They are, repeat after me; “a vested interest”. (NB there is women’s minister, where is the men’s)? Women elected Labour.

Women would not be prone to question action, which would benefit them – quite simply therefore they don’t question these assertions .How many men can stand up and say anything to the contrary? Firstly, men (in general) have IMO a sense of fair play. Most would not want a gender pay gap (myself very much included) and thus want this perceived problem to be tackled. Those who dispute a gap are rendered silent; they do not want to be branded as sexist, then you have the fact that their missus may be working, or they have a daughter working – men in turn become VI’s.

Unfortunately even an impartial attempt at evaluating a gender gap can be flawed – you cannot go on the figures alone on this one - it does not work that way. Why? Because this ignores more than it reveals. Important factors including occupation, number of years and hours overtime worked, education aren’t taken into account. Moreover, on average, women tend to make lifestyle choices that lead to lower earnings than men.

Consider that women typically take about a five to ten years out of the workforce caring for family (if some figures are to be taken at face value). Is it reasonable that a 35-year-old woman re-entering the workforce after ten years earns the same than a man or woman who worked continuously during that time? Professionals out there, think how much retraining you would have done in this period.

Quotes from AngryHarry.com:

“decisions that individuals make when choosing jobs and reveals how, on average, men are more likely than women to make decisions that increase pay. Not only do women take more time out of the labor force and work fewer hours than do men, women also avoid jobs that require a great deal of travel or relocation. Men assume more high-risk jobs — 92 percent of occupational deaths occur among men — and endeavors that require braving the elements outdoors.”

“Numerous studies have proven that women who never have children enjoy lifetime earnings virtually identical to men. Plus they're never plagued by the scourge of having bicycles clogging up the driveway when they get home from work as so many men, working for the same pay, are. Women tend to choose — there's that word again — lower-paying professions, choose to take extended absences from work, and choose to work part-time more often than men do — usually to have and raise children, a laudable goal which comes with its own rewards. Even in high-paying professions such as medicine women tend to cluster in the lower-paying specialties (such as family practice and pediatrics) for the same reasons. As a rule, female orthopedic surgeons make as much money as male ones; there just aren't as many of the former; meanwhile, all those female dental hygienists tend to drag down the average lifetime earnings of women.”

Yep many women have chosen to earn less, and so deserve less.

Join the dots people; we are yet again being lied to.

Out of all the places I worked if that happened there would be a strike, bad publicity for the employer and, the employer would be sued under the sexual descrimination act.

If only life were that simple.

Many companies use 'windows' of salary range for each job grade.

At my previous company, an employee's place within the job grade window could be due to age, performance, length of service, gender, and if the boss liked you more than other employees.

Women get discriminated against because bosses think they will be 'off on maternity leave any day soon' etc. To offset leave costs, women tend to get pushed down the 'window' of the pay scale by some bosses.

It happens.

My Mrs does.

Mind you, she's sh!t at arm wrestling, and scared of mice, so I definitely wear the trousers in this relationship...

I earn a load more than my gf. But she always beats me at armwrestling. And, she can down pints whereas I tend to order pretentious cocktails. She also knows how to fix the boiler; I am more the one into interior design. Go figure!

frugalista

At my previous company, an employee's place within the job grade window could be due to age, performance, length of service, gender, and if the boss liked you more than other employees.

Women get discriminated against because bosses think they will be 'off on maternity leave any day soon' etc. To offset leave costs, women tend to get pushed down the 'window' of the pay scale by some bosses.

It happens.

This is not discrimination as such. Wrong perhaps but .............

When in buisiness you have to choose which prospective employee will be worth the most / cost you less. On the balance of probabilities a 16 yr old male will cost less to employ over his working lifetime than a 16 yr old female, who is identical in all other ways apart from gender.

Oh and she'll be off 5 years earlier as well. :lol:

It happens.

I work the every towns biggest employer, the council, (80% of the staff employed by a council are women). If there was any hint of any kind of discrimination towards men all hell would break loose.

I earn a load more than my gf. But she always beats me at armwrestling. And, she can down pints whereas I tend to order pretentious cocktails. She also knows how to fix the boiler; I am more the one into interior design. Go figure!

frugalista

Have you seen you girl as nature intended?

Horrible vision of your wedding night with "her" leaving the toilet seat up!!!!

Sorry Frugalista, really, just don't send her round to beat me up.

I’m probably going to get shouted down, but I’d like to challenge what I believe to be an ingrained and illogical assertion that is akin to saying that house prices always go up. I have always been impressed by this forum for the ability of members to question figures, official “facts” and strip out why certain people are saying what they are saying (vested interests).

I have imagine perfectionist may have started this thread to be provocative in order to gauge reaction and encourage reasonable and perhaps even informed debate that women earning more nowadays may have contributed to, if not been the cause of, the current housing bubble. In short I would say that it would have to have had an effect, but I don’t think anyone would call the size of this effect.

But low and behold we get the “Women don’t earn as much as men / glass ceiling brigade”.  This is of course according to official figures, or the institute of something or other (paid to come up with a “result).

Firstly let my tackle the “official” (read government) figures. Roughly 50% of the voting population are women. Why then do you think the government has an interest in stating that there is a pay gap and then “doing something to tackle the problem. Yep, you have already got a popularist theme. They are, repeat after me; “a vested interest”. (NB there is  women’s minister, where is the men’s)? Women elected Labour.

Women would not be prone to question action, which would benefit them – quite simply therefore they don’t question these assertions .How many men can stand up and say anything to the contrary? Firstly, men (in general) have IMO a sense of fair play. Most would not want a gender pay gap (myself very much included) and thus want this perceived problem to be tackled. Those who dispute a gap are rendered silent; they do not want to be branded as sexist, then you have the fact that their missus may be working, or they have a daughter working – men in turn become VI’s. 

Unfortunately even an impartial attempt at evaluating a gender gap can be flawed – you cannot go on the figures alone on this one - it does not work that way. Why? Because this ignores more than it reveals. Important factors including occupation, number of years and hours overtime worked, education aren’t taken into account. Moreover, on average, women tend to make lifestyle choices that lead to lower earnings than men.

Consider that women typically take about a five to ten years out of the workforce caring for family (if some figures are to be taken at face value). Is it reasonable that a 35-year-old woman re-entering the workforce after ten years earns the same than a man or woman who worked continuously during that time? Professionals out there, think how much retraining you would have done in this period.

Quotes from AngryHarry.com:

“decisions that individuals make when choosing jobs and reveals how, on average, men are more likely than women to make decisions that increase pay. Not only do women take more time out of the labor force and work fewer hours than do men, women also avoid jobs that require a great deal of travel or relocation. Men assume more high-risk jobs — 92 percent of occupational deaths occur among men — and endeavors that require braving the elements outdoors.”

“Numerous studies have proven that women who never have children enjoy lifetime earnings virtually identical to men. Plus they're never plagued by the scourge of having bicycles clogging up the driveway when they get home from work as so many men, working for the same pay, are. Women tend to choose — there's that word again — lower-paying professions, choose to take extended absences from work, and choose to work part-time more often than men do — usually to have and raise children, a laudable goal which comes with its own rewards. Even in high-paying professions such as medicine women tend to cluster in the lower-paying specialties (such as family practice and pediatrics) for the same reasons. As a rule, female orthopedic surgeons make as much money as male ones; there just aren't as many of the former; meanwhile, all those female dental hygienists tend to drag down the average lifetime earnings of women.”

Yep many women have chosen to earn less, and so deserve less.

Join the dots people; we are yet again being lied to.

QUALITY POST VINNY.

unfortunately for women these days,the world is becoming more and more science based......a field only a very few women enter.

the world can easily cope with a few less media-studies grads and psychologists.

it can't evolve without scientists.

...the mobile phone,the telly,the PC,the microwave oven,the washing machine,the ballpoint pen.....were all invented by geeky men.

marie curie DISCOVERED radiation but never APPLIED it.

in the grand scale of things which brings you more tangible benefit?

a counsellor or an inventor?

(if you follow the capitalist darwinian theory there,then the inventors will win...they will kick ass and conquer the counsellors.....leaving them to listen to each others problems about claustrophobia and being incarcerated in their dungeons)

Edited by oracle

I can.

What are you all talking about? Until you realise that there is NO PROGRESS. Modern civilisation is based on violence and slavery and .... FINE WORDS. The surface changes - the ESSENCE does not.

Guest magnoliawalls

All I know is that in several years of banking - for three different major banks, I saw men get promoted ahead of more capable and qualified women again and again.

In fairness, this may reflect the fact that we are more likely to take time off to look after children and currently have the right to retire earlier. And in some professions women will have more power. In general, I am convinced that men of the same standard are likely to earn more.

As far as house prices go I do believe that women's influence is an important factor. Women tend to believe that it is their skill at presenting and selecting a property which resulted in the profits of their 'investment'.

Hmmmm..... :)

My alterior motive for asking the question was ..... how do men feel if their other half earned more moola ..... proud or embarrased ???

How would this affect their relationship overall ???

How did they meet in the first place !!

How would the in-laws treat you ??

Is you sex life better or worse for it !! :D

Oh and also, women being over-ambitious is one of the major causes of HPI and many/most of society's ills ..... there I said it ..... !!!!

Edited by Perfectionist