House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Houses With Drives To Be Valued More?

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/uk-government-gives-councils-new-powers-to-tackle-pavement-parking-31609.html

This news story about councils being encouraged to fine motorists for parking on pavements leads me to wonder if it'll help keep the value up of houses on busy streets that have their own drives.

Loads of people round here park on the pavement - there's narrow bits of the road where you'd struggle to park without blocking the road. On occaision the fire brigade come and ticket people who block the road.

Are you bothered by p*ss poor parking in your area?

Is it a bad idea? Blame labour.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/education/s/2087619_path_parking_fines_our_idea_say_labour

‘Path parking fines our idea’ say labour

Edited by SarahBell

http://www.autoevolu...king-31609.html

This news story about councils being encouraged to fine motorists for parking on pavements leads me to wonder if it'll help keep the value up of houses on busy streets that have their own drives.

Loads of people round here park on the pavement - there's narrow bits of the road where you'd struggle to park without blocking the road. On occaision the fire brigade come and ticket people who block the road.

http://www.getreadin...idea_say_labour

'Path parking fines our idea' say labour

Incredible that Labour promoted building on brown field sites where developers crammed a host of three story houses with 4/5/6 bedrooms and one parking bay each house if you are lucky. These places look nothing like the developers images of how the estate would look. Instead they are a maze of narrow streets and cars parked right along the pavements. Not just unsightly but also very dangerous for children. I have always made sure a all the houses I have lived in have a double driveway, life is stressful enough without worrying if you can park outside your own house when you get home.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/uk-government-gives-councils-new-powers-to-tackle-pavement-parking-31609.html

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/education/s/2087619_path_parking_fines_our_idea_say_labour

‘Path parking fines our idea’ say labour

Councils should be forced to make all roads wide enough to fit a parked car on either side then.

Incredible that Labour promoted building on brown field sites where developers crammed a host of three story houses with 4/5/6 bedrooms and one parking bay each house if you are lucky. These places look nothing like the developers images of how the estate would look. Instead they are a maze of narrow streets and cars parked right along the pavements. Not just unsightly but also very dangerous for children. I have always made sure a all the houses I have lived in have a double driveway, life is stressful enough without worrying if you can park outside your own house when you get home.

Classic Labour b*llocks, try and magically make cars disappear by not providing for them. There was a development in Edinburgh that was pushing (as a good thing) the fact it had little if any parking, as if all the residents have no visitors etc. Suited developers to a tee though, houses taking up practically the whole tiny plot allowes them to pack 'em in.

EDIT in fairness though I have little sympathy for those who block the pavement out of nothing more than laziness. Classic politico meat and drink- create a problem then announce how you're going to tackle it in a tough manner.

Edited by cheeznbreed

Councils should be forced to make all roads wide enough to fit a parked car on either side then.

:lol:

This could involve people having their front gardens, or even front rooms, compulsorily purchased.

If they actually enforced this you wouldn't be able to drive down half the streets round here. Most of the houses have 3 cars, one each for the couple who own it along with the tenant who they have rented a room to because they overstretched themselves when buying. Even though parking is really bad 95% of people who have a garage don't actually seem to use it for their car..

Edited by mrhappy

If they actually enforced this you wouldn't be able to drive down half the streets round here. Most of the houses have 3 cars, one each for the couple who own it along with the tenant who they have rented a room to because they overstretched themselves when buying. Even though parking is really bad 95% of people who have a garage don't actually seem to use it for their car..

The annoying thing is the ones that do have a drive think they own the road outside their drive, when there is no car to be seen....... ;)

When I'm looking on rm it p1sses me off when I see they've filled in a perfectly good garden and pass them by. I'd only have the cost of digging it all out again and returning it to what it was meant to be-a pleasent frontage to a home. I also pass by on the ones who have stuck a garage in the back garden with a great drive down the side of the house. I want a home I can have a rear garden full of veg and a grass space for the kids to play in.

This could involve people having their front gardens, or even front rooms, compulsorily purchased.

While we're on the subject, the north circular could do with an extra lane. You could probably replace a whole row of hellish terraces with one decent modern apartment block.

I think its a great idea. The number of tw@ts who block the path so you have to walk in the road is incredible. Just because they live there they seem to think its their parking space and not a public footpath. Often its only a matter of them moving their car a few feet further down the road, but no, selfish Britain says "sod you I will park here".

If they have a problem with it then

i) sell the car

ii) sell the house and buy one with a parking space or wider road

iii) park your car a distance away and use your two legs to walk a little bit, incredible thought eh.

Edited by Redcellar

I blame labour for everything. I spent half an hour looking for a parking place last night and I was thinking "bloody labour" the whole time. I guess its my fault really for not getting a liebour loan for a nice house with a driveway.

I blame labour for everything. I spent half an hour looking for a parking place last night and I was thinking "bloody labour" the whole time. I guess its my fault really for not getting a liebour loan for a nice house with a driveway.

Well if you weren't driving around looking, someone else would have been instead of you.....and the more flats they build the bigger the problem will get....and the more they put up the car parking fees the bigger the problem will get.........it will be very hard to pull people away from their cars, especially when the public transport is so bad, overcrowded trains, slow buses, generally unreliable and expensive. ;)

If they have a problem with it then

i) sell the car

ii) sell the house and buy one with a parking space or wider road

iii) park your car a distance away and use your two legs to walk a little bit, incredible thought eh.

i - Not an option in many parts of the country, especially if 2 or more members of the household have to work.

ii - Not an option in many cases, as the price premium of a parking space or wider road is too high to be affordable. I've estimated price premia of over £25k per parking space in the better areas of Sheffield. Lord only knows how high the premium is down South.

iii - Not an option, as most insurers will not insure a car kept on the road away from the main residence of the keeper. I've tried to get a quote for keeping my car on the next road down - impossible, even via a broker, and third-party-only (not even TPFT).

Probably, and not long now and drives will attract extra council tax, and maybe need an expensive permit because those drive monopolise what otherwise would be public parking spaces.

So, all we can say is that things will get more expensive without improving.

Probably, and not long now and drives will attract extra council tax, and maybe need an expensive permit because those drive monopolise what otherwise would be public parking spaces.

How if it's private land? They would otherwise be people's front gardens.

Years back they said they were going to improve public transport to try to help solve some of these parking problems, traffic and congestion problems, fuel usage etc etc. Wow! Oh yes! how they were going to improve it was going to be nobody's business. Nobody would need a car the public transport would see to that, for sure.

Then they decided they'd rather spend the money on selling more new cars and the clamp 'em all and fine 'em all mob are on the case.

The UK's run like a Whitehall Theatre farce.

Edited by billybong

About 20 years ago I visited Merthyr Tydfil. There were streets of terraced houses, with no cars at all in the street. People were so poor they couldn't afford them, and had nowhere to go anyway, I guess.

I doubt it's any better there now.

Just wait until all the houses and flats with no drives, garages or parking spaces have electric cables criss crossing all over the place dangling from trees and so on to charge up for the next days commute.

It'll be limbo dancing and the hop skip and jump for pedestrians. You can't stop progress.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

I speak about UK over-population in generic terms and usually get shouted at, but this thread highlights a very tangible product of that phenomenon. It doesn't take a philosopher to extrapolate how much worse things will be when the population hits 72 million in a few years. If one looks at other high-density countries like Japan or Singapore, the future of the British landscape is easy to picture - highrise upon highrise for the plebs, while the dukes and duchesses continue to live on their thousand acre estates.

I speak about UK over-population in generic terms and usually get shouted at, but this thread highlights a very tangible product of that phenomenon. It doesn't take a philosopher to extrapolate how much worse things will be when the population hits 72 million in a few years.

Tesco says 80M now.

No. cars on road is 30m?

Tesco says 80M now.

The demographic data experts that I know from Tesco don't say it. I'm interested in following it up with them. Please can you identify who at Tesco said this.

The demographic data experts that I know from Tesco don't say it. I'm interested in following it up with them. Please can you identify who at Tesco said this.

It's been quoted on here loads... Can't find the original source for it but I haven't actually looked.

http://cornerstonegroup.wordpress.com/2008/02/25/how-many-people-live-in-britain-%E2%80%93-by-greg-hands-mp/

Many observers think the UK’s population is much bigger. A leading figure at Tesco recently told one of my parliamentary colleagues that they estimate the population of the UK to be closer to 80 million, based on the volume of certain staples they sell. Tesco are probably a world leader in understanding their consumer market, so it would be foolish to disregard their opinion.