House Price Crash Forum
Caveat Mortgagor

Vi's Getting Worried About Hpc Friendly Media

I think this is the single most VI twisted article I've ever read. Get ready for your blood to boil!

No one would be served by a crash in West house prices

To get a true picture of property price movements they need to be measured over a long period. So the statistics out today from the National Housing Federation, which reveal the yawning gap between earnings and the cost of buying a property in the South West, are about as good an indication as we can expect of just how difficult it has now become for an ordinary family to get a home of their own in Devon or Cornwall. With that in mind some would-be house-buyers might look at the current statistics which show a fall, albeit unspectacular, in the price of property over the past year and take heart. But they would be wrong to read too much into the figures or to imagine that a property price crash is – in the end – going to do anyone any good.

For every struggling couple stuck in unsuitable rented accommodation or bedding down on a friend's sofa, there are many dozens here in the South West who have done well out of property price inflation. And the wealth they have made has helped to underpin the Westcountry economy over the past decade, when they have borrowed against the value of their homes or down-sized to free up capital. The financial crisis can be blamed, in part, on unsustainable borrowing but not everyone who used the growing value of their home as the means to raise cash acted recklessly. The fact that, despite the financial difficulties of the past few years, most of those homes retain pretty much all of their value is one of the things that is preventing the economic crisis escalating out of control once more.

So tempting as it might seem for home-buyers if prices crashed the overall impact, particularly here in the South West, would be catastrophic. Negative equity, a nose-dive in financial confidence and billions wiped off the value of ordinary people's biggest assets are not sacrifices worth making to enable those who currently feel excluded to buy a home of their own. That doesn't mean, however, that we don't need urgent action to help would-be property purchasers. If they are in steady employment, can manage a modest deposit and meet sensible monthly mortgage payments they should be afforded the same opportunities their parents had.

A whole range of measures, from building more homes aimed at local people, offered under part-rent, part-buy schemes, to restricting, perhaps through the planning process, the number of second homes in the most favoured areas, ought to be used. Local authorities must play their part – as many are already doing – and the need for social housing with rents set in line with local earnings must be met. The home ownership model, which is stronger in Britain than in many other parts of Europe, has been responsible for improving the appearance of many communities, building pride in the way people feel about where they live and helping even those on modest incomes in ordinary jobs build up some wealth to either realise when they sell-up or pass on to their children.

We don't want to see that destroyed by chronic instability in the housing market or plunging values, however much it might seem, at first glance, to help those who currently cannot afford a home.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/regionalnews/served-crash-West-house-prices/article-3296274-detail/article.html

I suspect someone behind this article is very worried. There has been a wave of pro hpc stories of late, it looks like the HPI VI's are still very much alive and kicking and getting a bit worried!

Just love the justification for the struggles of the priced out. They justify the priced out sleeping on friends sofas by stating that some people have been able to MEW and keep the sham economy going!

And of course should be bombarded with HPC'ers Readers Comment - if a Readers Comments facility is available. The VI's make very good use of the media and so should we through the Readers Comments facilities whenever possible to counter their nonsense.

...And the wealth they have made has helped to underpin the Westcountry economy over the past decade, when they have borrowed against the value of their homes...

Actually, I think this is the crux of their argument, and shows where their VI lays.

MEW was a massive part of the UK economy, contributing 9% of GDP at it's peak.

I bet the journalist has lived the high life the past few years, steadily increasing their mortgage whilst releasing equity to fund all those lovely foreign holidays, and the latest 'must have' car.

"Ending the Monarchy would have disatrous effects on my courtiers", says Monarch. "For every 5 peasants we have stolen all the worldy goods from, there is one of my buddies living the high life, providing jobs and income for publicans, whore houses, jewelers and me."

So tempting as it might seem for home-buyers if prices crashed the overall impact, particularly here in the South West, would be catastrophic. Negative equity, a nose-dive in financial confidence and billions wiped off the value of ordinary people's biggest assets are not sacrifices worth making to enable those who currently feel excluded to buy a home of their own.

You can't have anywhere to live because we made a big greedy mistake and don't want to be made to pay for it. Nice!

I think this is the single most VI twisted article I've ever read. Get ready for your blood to boil!

For every struggling couple stuck in unsuitable rented accommodation or bedding down on a friend's sofa, there are many dozens here in the South West who have done well out of property price inflation.

After that I dismissed him / her as a greedy selfish pr1ck. Chase the dollar you squeeling piggy. I'm stoking the fire with the spit ready.

Actually, I think this is the crux of their argument, and shows where their VI lays.

MEW was a massive part of the UK economy, contributing 9% of GDP at it's peak.

I bet the journalist has lived the high life the past few years, steadily increasing their mortgage whilst releasing equity to fund all those lovely foreign holidays, and the latest 'must have' car.

Excellent! You've found data on that! Thanks Lepista. I've looked for it in the past but couldn't find anything solid. Is the source reliable? Could you please post the link here?

And of course should be bombarded with HPC'ers Readers Comment - if a Readers Comments facility is available. The VI's make very good use of the media and so should we through the Readers Comments facilities whenever possible to counter their nonsense.

+ 1

There is a nice short new comment there:

Lower costs of living, including housing costs, are a public good.

The author's mind has been perverted by self-interest and by the collective national insanity in this past decade.

:D

No one would be served by a crash in West house prises.

I have to say many people would be served by a crash in prices. Just not the older generation. In fact it would be the young who are currently being shafted in every single hole.

I for one would be much more likely to spend on new furniture, a new car, etc etc if prices of homes came down. The young are the future, innit? and at the moment they are red raw and bleeding. Why keep the crazy vestiges of this house price façade pumped up? It is robbing baby Peter to pay Great Uncle Paul...

Excellent! You've found data on that! Thanks Lepista. I've looked for it in the past but couldn't find anything solid. Is the source reliable? Could you please post the link here?

Sorry, ToW, It's a number that';s stuck in my head from previous discussions on here - particularly with Paddles, if my memory serves correctly.

After that I dismissed him / her as a greedy selfish pr1ck. Chase the dollar you squeeling piggy. I'm stoking the fire with the spit ready.

Same here.

Sorry, ToW, It's a number that';s stuck in my head from previous discussions on here - particularly with Paddles, if my memory serves correctly.

...don't know how accurate this US based effect is but at least provides the trend which is frightening pre and post 9/11 variation..... :rolleyes:

GDPMEW2006.jpg

You can't have anywhere to live because we made a big greedy mistake and don't want to be made to pay for it. Nice!

The OP didn't highlight it, but I'm glad it's not just me that found the third paragraph concerning.

...don't know how accurate this US based effect is but at least provides the trend which is frightening pre and post 9/11 variation..... :rolleyes:

GDPMEW2006.jpg

So that's how the UK didn't officially enter recession in the dotcom burst. I had wondered, but didnt know MEW was already at work then.

It is interesting how many people think that UK house prices were rising on the back of solid economic growth. Actually, GDP was increasing through a glut of borrowed money that must now be paid back with interest. A whole stack of public sector jobs were created on the back of the taxes from that credit injection and that needs to be undone too. What a mess.

Edited by rantnrave

Up to 6 comments now, but unfortunately that c*ck head Sibley has turned up.

Feel free to add more!

Let Sibley advertise this site! ;)

:lol: He/She has just proved again that he/she is a total moron! :lol::lol:

Edited by Tired of Waiting