House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Not Religious? In This Year's Census, Say So

BBC News website: Humanist religious question census campaign launched.

"Instead of asking, 'Do you have a religion and if so, what is it?', the question asks 'What is your religion?', a closed question that funnels people into giving a religious response, even if they don't go to a church or a mosque, even if they don't believe in God."

A similar sentiment was expressed by Prof Richard Dawkins who told the BBC more precise questions need to be asked "if you want to use information for political purposes".

He said: "If you really, really want to know whether people are religious in the true sense - the sense that everybody understands about religion - ask a specific question: Do you believe Muhammad rode on a winged horse? - something like that."

They wont get many willing to say they are humanist. Most people don't know what that is and see it as just another form of religion, although without a deity. At least the Jedi response is fun and gives the finger to all such groups, including the humanists.

They wont get many willing to say they are humanist. Most people don't know what that is and see it as just another form of religion, although without a deity. At least the Jedi response is fun and gives the finger to all such groups, including the humanists.

I think they are probably more interested in getting people who are atheistic to say so -- whatever label is associated with that.

I don't know what choices there will be in the forthcoming census; there may be only one non-theistic response, so it won't matter.

As the article said, the last census reported that the UK was 72% Christian, which is substantially higher than other surveys, leading to the possibility that the census was flawed in the way it asked about religion -- for example, confusing religion with culture (again, as per the article).

It may also be true (as I think the religion question(s) is/are optional in the census) that theists are more likely to reply to such questions than atheists (theists perhaps considering religion to be a more significant than atheists do). Similarly, if there was a question about astrology, maybe astrology believers are more likely to give it credence and answer it, whereas those who consider astrology to be nonsense might not even give an astrology question the time it takes to answer it at all.

The Jedi thing is a bit of fun, but I think if there's any possibility that Jedi might count towards the theistic count, I don't think it's THAT fun! ;)

I think they are probably more interested in getting people who are atheistic to say so -- whatever label is associated with that.

I don't know what choices there will be in the forthcoming census; there may be only one non-theistic response, so it won't matter.

As the article said, the last census reported that the UK was 72% Christian, which is substantially higher than other surveys, leading to the possibility that the census was flawed in the way it asked about religion -- for example, confusing religion with culture (again, as per the article).

It may also be true (as I think the religion question(s) is/are optional in the census) that theists are more likely to reply to such questions than atheists (theists perhaps considering religion to be a more significant than atheists do). Similarly, if there was a question about astrology, maybe astrology believers are more likely to give it credence and answer it, whereas those who consider astrology to be nonsense might not even give an astrology question the time it takes to answer it at all.

The Jedi thing is a bit of fun, but I think if there's any possibility that Jedi might count towards the theistic count, I don't think it's THAT fun! ;)

I think everyone should tick muslim for a laugh

I've just applied to do a census job, and as part of the recruitment process, it asks you what religion you are...There's all the major ones, plus agnostic, atheist and none..

I put none (hopefully it wasn't really nun)...

If I don't manage to dodge filling it in at all, and the question says "What is your religion?", with no option for "Don't have one" then it's getting left blank. Things like "atheist" or "humanist" listed under a question like that implies they are being treated as religions, which they are not.

If I don't manage to dodge filling it in at all, and the question says "What is your religion?", with no option for "Don't have one" then it's getting left blank. Things like "atheist" or "humanist" listed under a question like that implies they are being treated as religions, which they are not.

I agree (and resemble) your position. In this instance, though, I probably won't allow a badly-thought-out question stop me from answering in the way I'll assume the questioner intended.

My dad tells a story of that from his youth.

He's just too young to have been called on to fight before 1945, but he was called up for a support role in the army around the end of the war. As part of that recruitment process, each recruit was going in turn before some occifer, who barked out "civvie?" at them. Each just answered a timid "yes", so he did too, without having a clue what it was all about.

Turns out he was signing up for "C of E", and thereafter was expected to attend their rituals.

Alot of people should put their religion as 'consumerism' , they stopped worshipping at the christian church on sundays and now prefer to worship at the local megaplex on sundays now :lol:

I think we established that earlier in the thread.

The possibility was also put forward that a greater proportion of atheists will opt not to answer a 'What's your religion' question than theists -- and that may cause it to appear that a theistic stance represents a larger proportion of the population than it does.

Keep up at the back there! :D

"Instead of asking, 'Do you have a religion and if so, what is it?', the question asks 'What is your religion?', a closed question that funnels people into giving a religious response, even if they don't go to a church or a mosque, even if they don't believe in God."

Wretched thing's arrived here.

Seems that "none" is indeed an option, so it's not as bad as the fuss would have us think.

Bear in mind how this will be spun, especially if we get another religious nut in high office. A protest answer (like jedi or wiccan) will be spun as a religious person, thus inflating the importance of religion. And with it, things that matter, like the amounts of taxpayers money going into indoctrinating our children instead of educating them.

In this case an honest None is clearly the best answer. Unless you really are a God-botherer, and put that above living in harmony with others.

Is a humanist someone who believes in the existence of human beings?

Very English to lump in Jedi stuff with Plato.

Probably not a good idea to mock yourself. Women don't find it attractive, as I'm sure you already know.